My new Grado SR-80's
Jan 23, 2002 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

sd jones

New Head-Fier
Hey folks...first time poster though I have used these boards as a resource to purchase my 1st set of decent cans (SR-80's). Though, I should have came and gone as now I fear my obsession will lead to a neverending quest for the perfect set of headphones.

I am very new to this so please excuse my less than knowledgable use of audiophile terminology...
As I stated I recently purchased a set of SR-80's upgrading from my "best" set of headphones, Sportapros. I have been using the Grados for aprrox. 3 weeks and while the sound is very good (detailed, clear bass) and a substantial upgrade over the Koss, I find the highs to be quite harsh...almost too the point where I can no longer listen. I mainly listen to rock, jazz and blues. I am not using an amp. and the source is rather wimpy (Rio Volt) but have also used my stereo line-out (an old panasonic) and have experienced similar discomfort. Also, these things leak much more than I anticipated, I would really hesitate to use on my occasional train commute for fear of disturbing those around me. Luckily, Headroom offers a 30-day unconditional guarantee so if a change is needed it shouldn't be much of a problem. I have often read that Senns offer a much more "laid-back" sound. At this point I do not want to spend too much more than I already have on the Grados ($95). Eventually, I will invest in an amp, though for my current use, I would rather use a set that are easily driven by portables.
Any suggestions an/or comments? I would be very interested to hear from other Grado owners, is this common? Are my ears just getting used to the detail and brightness of this sound?

Again, I appreciate the advice.

Jan 23, 2002 at 8:17 PM Post #2 of 11
hm, sounds normal too me. some people cope better with the highs than others. the highs are really "hyped" on the Grados, has to be your cup-o-tea.

their not cans to take on the train either, doubt you'll do anything else than disturb other. don't see how you would listen to music with Grados in a noisey situation like that.

the V6 sounds like a good option. or even just the ksc35s? spend a bit more and get ety er6s? Senns are generally hard to power, and they don't make to great closed headphones, they don't have much that goes easily with portable equipment (save the mx500 that is).

Jan 23, 2002 at 8:37 PM Post #3 of 11
I agree that the Sony MDR-v6 (cheap at www.etronics.com) is probably your best bet, I'm thinking of getting a pair of them myself for similar reasons.

There is another closed headphone that is good that is right around the $100 price point, I just can't remember . . . anyone?

Jan 23, 2002 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 11
I can continue to use my Sportapros for the commute but would like to have a set for home use that provide upgraded performance and possibly a stepping-stone to future upgrades. I have read an awful lot regarding the V6's but am intrigued by Senn HD280. There does not appear to be much info regarding these phones. Also, I've read quite a bit about AKG 401's but it seems as if the price has gone up at Headroom, was approx. $120 now $169.

The Ety's may be an option...maybe I'll just pick up the V6's and alternate sessions with the Grados. Again, I love the sound but certain recordings are quite harsh.

Jan 23, 2002 at 8:58 PM Post #5 of 11
To clarify, closed phones are not absolutely necessary. Nice, yes..but do not want to sacrifice performance. It may just be that there is not one set of phones appropriate for all settings and types of music. Maybe the solution is to purchase more than one set...geez, I've got to get off of this site.

Jan 23, 2002 at 11:18 PM Post #6 of 11
sd-

about the problems with "harsh" highs and what you describe as a fatiguing sound of the grados, you might try the "sock mod" that can be found here on headwize:
http://headwize.com/projects/showpro...=grado_prj.htm

the modification of the pads greatly improved my listening experience, and since it's reversible, you might try it before sending them back to headroom.

Hope that this helps
smily_headphones1.gif

M.

Jan 24, 2002 at 12:36 AM Post #7 of 11
Congrat's on your SR80's. I got mine a bit over a month ago and find their sound outstanding in this price class. As others have written, the Grados seem to benefit more from burn-in than many other cans. Some things do get better with age!
BTW- I you don't mind risking $2.50, get a set of flat pads at Radio Shack (#33-379). These fit the Grado's perfectly. Just slide off the stock bowl pads and slide these on. If you want the highs softened a bit, leave them as is. Others advocate cutting out a small (nickel-size) hole in each earpad directly over the driver to preserve the distinct Grado sound. I prefer the bowl pads, but your pref's may differ.

Jon

Jan 24, 2002 at 2:02 AM Post #8 of 11
If you are sensitive to harsh highs, I would stay away from the V6. The Beyer DT250-80 are a bit over your budget, but you might want to give them a try. I think they would be great for you.

Jan 24, 2002 at 2:28 AM Post #9 of 11
Burn-in was one of the reasons I asked for feedback from Grado owners...I have only played for 6-8 hrs total. I would assume more time would be needed. Also, will try different mods suggested.

Mac, 250-80's a bit out of my range at the moment but I have read many reviews that consider these and the 831's among the best closed cans. There doesn't seem to be much risk with buying the V6's at their current price and as stated earlier may be a welcome change of pace from the Grados. I'm happy with the Grado presentation it's just that some recordings are hell on my ears. U2's "All You Can't Leave Behind" was brutal, "Blood On The Tracks" great. Go figure...

BTW, overall comfort is OK once you get used to the Grados and stretch the headband slightly.

Jan 24, 2002 at 5:40 AM Post #10 of 11
i've had my SR80's for about 5 months now, and although i really like these cans for their price, i really wouldn't mind something a bit more laid back. i have performed the sock mod on these, and while it helps, somehow they seem quite bright still. i might try the radioshack pads, since it's inexpensive, but ultimately i'd like to upgrade to some sennheisers or something...maybe some 580s when i have enough money for those and an amp...

plus i find that the grados are quite loud when paired with my
d-25s. even on minimum volume, at times they're too loud.

Jan 24, 2002 at 10:14 AM Post #11 of 11
There's not much information about them, but the Sennheiser 497's may alleviate some of your high frequency concerns. They are plenty efficient enough to go straight from a portable, and should have that laid back Sennheiser sound. Trade them in for the Grados from Headroom.

Grados are dynamite at rock, but the Sennheiser's will give you a good reference point to appreciate everything in your collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back