My new Go vibe 5
Dec 8, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You modded an amp right? Which one was it and was it a change in opamps that you feel brought you closer to what you felt was a more realistic aural view of the recording venue?

Exactly. But I'm almost feeling sorry for the Go-Vibe right now so I don't mean to go on beating it.
tongue.gif
In fact, I think that the headphones are the culprit. Norm is known for being a Grado man and so it's understandable if he would tune the amps for Grados (even unintentionally). Me, I'm almost equally known as a relentless Senn fan...

Dec 8, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #32 of 41
Oh it wasn't a stab at anyone or any company I was trying to remember what you had done and the relation to what you ended up hearing. I would like to get a 5S but will wait until I get back to the states. I listen most of the time to my HD650's and couldn't be happier. When amps aren't too expensive, as Norm's aren't, it is nice to have a few different types around as even with live music there are different acoustics and so it goes with different amps. I enjoy my SuperMacro stuff very much but it would be nice to have something else also.

I just looked at your signature and noticed the amp you have. I overlooked that before.

Dec 8, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #33 of 41
I would personally take the GV5S so you can figure out what op-amp you happen to like. It sounds as though to me that the LM6172 isn't to your liking. My recommendation of the AD8058 is based on it retaining some of the warmth of the 6172 but being more dynamic and open, with more texture, which seems to be what you're aiming for. On the ground, you could try the AD8057, 8055, or 9631 *shrug*.

Dec 8, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #34 of 41
Yep the AD8058 could be a good fix. Lately I tried it in my Xenos where it replaced the AD8620 - and I found it even more musical and colourful than the AD8620 which I already like. It sounds funny to me that the LM6171/6172 should be supposed to sound "warmer".
tongue.gif

Dec 8, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just looked at your signature and noticed the amp you have. I overlooked that before.

I had just updated it, adding the Go-Vibe v4 which I just 'restored from the oblivion' to replace the AD8397 with the AD8058. I've finished the mod (which includes new electrolytics too...I'm un-correctable
biggrin.gif
), but still have to close the amp & listen.

Dec 10, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #36 of 41
Ok, well I'm going to probably send the amp back to norm simply because of the sound i get when turning off the device (although it is much quieter with my senns). It could be that nobody has noticed the sound before (bit like a sigh more than a woosh tbh) but we best be sure right.

I'll probably also paypal the extra cash to switch to the VS5 since the last few posts rekindled my curiosity and $15 isn't much tbh. Norm offering me the VS5 replacement board for free makes me want to paypal him money - cool huh?

BTW - I am using single throw batteries - not rechargeables that are considered high quality in the UK. Duracell ultras (not the pluses). They are brand new and don't expire until past 2015 I think (didn't keep the pack so can't remember).

Dec 20, 2006 at 6:41 AM Post #37 of 41
whoa whoa hold on there. i'm pretty sure that whoosh is normal i hear it on my gv5 too and mine works fine. i'm using a 9V duracell battery.

it's faint but with my dt990 pros i can hear it. i actually like it heh.

don't worry about it, that alone is no reason to return it (not for me anyways)

Dec 20, 2006 at 2:24 PM Post #39 of 41
I have no whoosh on mine with either my SR-225's or SF5P's.

Dec 20, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #40 of 41
I don't have exactly a whoosh, but more like a gentle, quiet FFFFFFffffffffffff_f_f_f_f that lasts a couple of seconds. I'm guessing it is the caps discharging? There is absolutely NO turn on thump, which is a first for me. It is much less of a turn on/off noise than just about any other amp I've heard!

Dec 20, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have exactly a whoosh, but more like a gentle, quiet FFFFFFffffffffffff_f_f_f_f that lasts a couple of seconds. I'm guessing it is the caps discharging? There is absolutely NO turn on thump, which is a first for me. It is much less of a turn on/off noise than just about any other amp I've heard!

x2, on all counts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back