My New Gilmore Lite just arrived!
Dec 14, 2004 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

OracleGuy

100+ Head-Fier
It's finally here!!!

I had a little panic when I found that the GL didn't seem to be much louder than my Airhead with my HD650s. An older recording definitely wasn't loud enough. Massive lunchbag letdown!

Luckily, after a little checking I found that the Windows volume control for my USB (2nd) soundcard wasn't all the way up. I'd always assumed that the Airhead didn't have enough jam to drive the high impedence cans. Now they're both blasting loud.

After only a few minutes flipping through some jazz and rock selections, the GL sounds great. Very clean sound, good bass. Solid build and styling as everybody says. I'm a happy camper!!!

600smile.gif

Question: should I let the GL burn in for a while? Is it OK to leave it turned on all the time?

Now I just need to upgrade my source ...

Dec 14, 2004 at 3:48 AM Post #2 of 24
Burn in can never hurt! Sure let it play for a few days. It will be fine.

Time to update your sig.
wink.gif

Dec 14, 2004 at 4:04 AM Post #3 of 24
Just did!
600smile.gif

Dec 14, 2004 at 5:05 AM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by OracleGuy
should I let the GL burn in for a while?

I let mine play almost 24/7 for a full month. I don't think it changed the sound at all, but it certainly didn't hurt it. Burn away, and congrats on your new amp!

Dec 14, 2004 at 5:56 AM Post #5 of 24
How much does the unit cost?

Dec 14, 2004 at 6:06 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by judgmentday
How much does the unit cost?

$299 with Elpac power supply
$479 with dedicated power supply

In my opinion, if you're in the market for a home amp under $500, you owe it to yourself to try the Gilmore Lite. At $300, this amp is a steal.

Dec 14, 2004 at 6:16 AM Post #7 of 24
Even though it's an unfair comparison, care to give us some brief information on what the differences in sound between the two amps are and how big/noticeable the difference is?

Dec 14, 2004 at 11:02 AM Post #9 of 24
Sounds good, I'm glad you like your new amp. I'm getting anxious to receive mine though, it was supposed to ship out last friday. Hopefully the busy postal system won't delay it too much.

-Keith

Dec 14, 2004 at 1:47 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallasstar
Even though it's an unfair comparison, care to give us some brief information on what the differences in sound between the two amps are and how big/noticeable the difference is?

Do you mean with and without the dedicated power supply? I'm afraid I'm not qualified to do that since I never heard the amp with the dedicated power supply.

That being said, I've heard the better PSU give the bass more weight, which in my opinion is the only thing lacking in the Gilmore Lite with the Elpac. The bass is there, and it's clean and tight, but it seems a bit recessed in the mix.

Dec 14, 2004 at 5:38 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by isp
I thought he meant between the airhead and the gilmore lite. Shrug.
confused.gif

Yes, of course. Sorry about that.
redface.gif

Dec 14, 2004 at 5:50 PM Post #13 of 24
For my usb sound card, I like to put the volume at 100% and adjust the volume through my airhead. This gives a really noticeable improvement in sound quality.

So, how does the gilmore lite compare with the airhead? Leaps and bounds better? Or just leaps better?

Dec 14, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by isp
Congrats man...

Curious, did you get the dedicated power supply?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nope -- I just went for the Elpac. I thought I'd try it first and then upgrade later if necessary.

Actually I want to put any extra $ into a source (DAC) upgrade first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dallasstar

I haven't had a chance to do a good A/B yet, but I will do so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hello
For my usb sound card, I like to put the volume at 100% and adjust the volume through my airhead. This gives a really noticeable improvement in sound quality.

I thought the volume WAS at 100% actually. I've mostly switched from Winamp to Foobar2000 and there's no volume control in F2K; I hadn't previously dug deep enough into the Windows volume control to find the level for the USB sound card.

Dec 15, 2004 at 5:59 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

$299 with Elpac power supply
$479 with dedicated power supply
In my opinion, if you're in the market for a home amp under $500, you owe it to yourself to try the Gilmore Lite. At $300, this amp is a steal.

How does this unit compares to the Singlepower PPX3-6SN7?
I know the Gilmore is SS and the PPX3-6SN7 is Tubes but I'm just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back