My new favorite can amp - what a discovery
Dec 20, 2006 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rgoodnight

Head-Fier
I've been experimenting with dedicated headphone amps for a while - even built a Bottlehead S.E.X. (Single-Ended eXperimenter) tube amp for my K1000.

But lately I bought a used McIntosh C34V pre-amplifier on craigslist ($900) and it has quickly become my favorite and primary headphone amp.

Why do I like it? Let me count the ways:

1 - In addition to being a pre-amp, it has a 20WPC monitor amp with speaker outputs so I can drive my K1000s

2 - Two headphone jacks in the front

3 - A five band equalizer. I know purists might not like it but I enjoy some recordings much better with some tweaking (a little bit more base here, a little less highs there).

4 - Variable loudness control. Again, something that purists might not like but I find it invaluable for low-level listening. I want to keep my hearing and with this amp I get a really "fat" and satisfying sound even at 60dbs

5 - A phone input. Yes, I listen to vinyl and it's great not to need a separate phono stage.

6 - A built in compressor/expander. I don't use it a lot but sometimes (e.g. listening to FM) a little expander makes up for the super-compressed sound. And, again, I find it very useful for low-level listening.

7 - Looks great. I know this is subjective but I love the McIntosh looks. It's also built like a tank and feels like it will last forever.

8 - Variable gain on the monitor amp - which means I have much more fine-tune control on the volume. With other amps I rarely got beyond the 8 or 9 o'clock position on the volume.

9 - Value. McIntosh equipment, especially if you buy it used, will keep - and even appreciate in value.

10 - Sound. Last but definitely not least. The McIntosh sound is so smooth I can listen to it without fatigue for hours and, unlike some other gear, it makes less than perfect recordings listenable and even enjoyable with a little tweaking of the tone controls.

I use this pre/amp with my K1000s (connected to the speaker outputs of the monitor amp) and with a pair of Senn HD580 connected to one of the front headphone outputs.

You can find these (and similar McIntosh pre-amps) for $500-1,000. Considering all their flexibility, sound, resale value, and headphone friendliness (remember 2 headphone outputs + a 20W amp for more demanding cans), I believe they are really worth considering if you do a lot of headphone listening.

Randy

Dec 20, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #2 of 6
Wot a beaut!
500000033.gif

And it will very likely outlast us all...

Enjoy!

Dec 20, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #3 of 6
Sounds like a great find rgoodnight! A neighbor of mine has a wonderful McIntosh/Klipsch (the massive Klipsch's that sit in the corner of a room -- forgot the name) system that simply blows me away.

Dec 21, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish.......
Well, can't complain really.
rolleyes.gif

I've seen your profile and equipment and I think you are right that you can't complain
580smile.gif

But in terms of wishing, I've seen little portable amps costing more than what this beautiful McIntosh costs - I don't think it's out of reach for many. And when you factor in how well they keep their value, and even appreciate in value, you have a real bargain.

Dec 21, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #6 of 6
wow ... being a control/tweeker freak, I'd luv to have that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back