My new dymanic amp, w/ pics!
Sep 3, 2002 at 6:36 AM Post #46 of 60
Originally posted by tangent
"...have you tried powering the META42 from that Gilmore power supply?"

That would make a considerable difference, I would think. It may not make the meta sound better than the Gilmore, but it would make the meta sound better.

Sep 3, 2002 at 8:01 AM Post #47 of 60
In the related thread at Headwize, which I just caught up on, I get the impression that you used the AD823 for your META42, antness. If that's true, that alone is enough to explain these "night and day" differences between your Gilmore dynamic amp and the META42. You see why I keep insisting on details when someone (not just you) posts a comparison involving the META42? The details matter.

Sep 3, 2002 at 8:03 AM Post #48 of 60
Tangent,

The configuration is as follows....and i have posted it before, either here or elsewhere:

AD8610
Panasonic 470uF x 4
Elna Cerafine 470uF x 4
EL2001CN buffers (1 per channel)
Elpac linear regulated 24V power supply

That answers your configuration questions. Yes, i have powered the META42 with the Gilmore power supply. Yes, it does make a difference but i can only tell in bass, and still not as good as the gilmore amplifier. And it does not make sense as the META42 was designed with a mediocre power supply on board for use with batteries or an AC adapter. One could improve the board greatly if it were to be for home use -- or better yet...just use the Gilmore design, which is cheaper than opamps anyway.

If you are wondering how I used the power supply with AD8610, I lowered the voltage.

EDIT: Tangent, that quoted thread you found on Headwize was posted right after I had built the amp. I didn't get the AD8610s till a few days after, but I have had them in the amp for a few months now.

Sep 3, 2002 at 11:59 PM Post #49 of 60
Well, it's not a "bestofthebest" configuration by far, but it's a pretty good middle of the road META42. And Gilmore designs are notoriously fantastic
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2002 at 4:04 AM Post #51 of 60
$200 in parts for a META42 isn't that much... believe me
very_evil_smiley.gif
eek.gif

If I have some money left over from my HEV60/Gilmore SS Electrostatic project, I might (over)build a Gilmore Dynamic, just for the heck of it. It looks like fun - why, I'll bet with some Cerafine p/s caps, a monoblock power supply or "improvised monoblock" wiring (I can't find the article, but while I was searching for a record cartridge wiring diagram I found an article that claimed one can reap some of the benefits of a monoblock power supply by wiring channels out of phase, I'd be interested to try it to see if it actually DOES anything
wink.gif
)...

Sep 4, 2002 at 4:33 AM Post #52 of 60
Eric,

I regret to inform you that Cerafines do not come in a voltage high enough for use with this power supply, unless you want to use like 470uF, which wouldn't be the best choice.

However, you may use Black Gate capacitors. This will run you $200-$400 in electrolytic capacitors for one power supply.

Sep 26, 2002 at 7:21 AM Post #55 of 60
If anyone wants to send me an all out Meta42 and Antness' amp, I'll be more than happy to write a very comprehensive review. PM me if you're interested.

Sep 27, 2002 at 3:08 PM Post #56 of 60
Hi Ant. I was wondering if you are going to build the amp as a company or just as an individual? I mean, is it going to be made by "Antness Industries", with warranty and company info, or are you going to offer it in a more informal setting? I am wondering since some people like me, in foreing countries, may have some problems importing a product made by "just some guy (at least regarging customs)" and not by a company. Just curious.

Oct 1, 2002 at 6:23 AM Post #58 of 60
andrzejpw, you'll find usefull information on Headwize's project page for the dynamic amp. There is also several threads on Headwize discussing the amp.

If you have any questions, there should be plenty of people to ask who's also building the amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

antness seems pretty busy, so a guide might be too much work for him at the moment. But a parts list would be nice.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back