KR...

Curator of the Headphone Lust Museum
I have yet to listen to all of these, but I will soon
smily_headphones1.gif

1. Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape

2. Mortiis - Smell of Rain

3. Opeth - Still Life

4. My Dying Bride - Dreadful Hour

coming soon : Cradle of Filth - Dusk... and Her Embrace (Japanese Version)

Nov 27, 2001 at 12:50 PM Post #3 of 9
Opeth - Still Life
I have yet to hear an Opeth CD that is not great, I am right now listening to 1st CD "orchid" and it is uniformly great without any weak tracks. Still Life is no different, no weak tracks at all. I would love to hear some female vox on future CD, that would really open things up more..........maybe Cristina from Lacuna Coil
could appear on some tracks or any heavenly voice to play against the dark/evil sounds. I will buy any future CD they release
in a second.......they are great.

If you like classical/opera you cannot be without Therion 4 masterpieces:
- Theli
- Vovin
- Deggial
- Secret of the Runes
Perfect marriage of dark metal/classical, do you own any of these?

Nov 27, 2001 at 6:09 PM Post #4 of 9
If you want female vox check out the nightwish cd Wishmaster.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 27, 2001 at 6:29 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
...Cristina from Lacuna Coil...

I've been listening to In a Reverie a lot lately, and I have to take back what I said about Lacuna Coil being a "poor man's Gathering". They really do have a style of their own, and I quite like it. It's just a little bit more subtle than that of The Gathering. Can't wait to see them live (in 1-2 weeks)!

PS DA -- I suspect that you did not see my question to you in this thread. Just curious if you've ever tried that...

Nov 27, 2001 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 9
Dusty
I now have both Lacuna Coil CDs, as "in reverie" just arrived and already have their newest CD "unleashed memories" it is quite good and includes prevoius EP for 15 tracks total......all I can say is Cristina!

I'm sure my Musical Fidelity A3cr preamp could easily work as an headphone amp, has two huge dual mono power supplies and does put out 3 amps or so as you say, of course I could never remove it from my main gothic altar of sound.

a3preopen.jpg

I can't believe you're selling that MF A3cr amp.......you will regret one day.

Nov 28, 2001 at 12:50 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
I now have both Lacuna Coil CDs...

Uh...both? They have a lot more'n that, don't they? (Looks.)...oh, I guess the others are EP's...I think I have at least four things by them, will have to make sure they migrate together. Quote:

......all I can say is Cristina!

All I can say to that is Anneke! (Sorry, can't find any good pics of her right now -- where do you find all those wonderful pics of Cristina?) Of course, that may change after I see Cristina in the flesh, so to speak. Quote:

I'm sure my Musical Fidelity A3cr preamp could easily work as an headphone amp, has two huge dual mono power supplies and does put out 3 amps or so as you say, of course I could never remove it from my main gothic altar of sound.

Yeah, but if you did, it would be the best US$1500 headphone amp you ever had, no? Hmmm...I'd try it at least once, if I was you. Quote:

I can't believe you're selling that MF A3cr amp.......you will regret one day.

I can't believe I can let it sit around gathering dust (no more, BTW -- boxed up).

PS I already regret it. But I prefer tubes. And I can't afford to keep both. Maybe one of these days when I become a big famous (rich) rock star I'll get the A3^CR preamp/amp system for one of the other rooms in my mansion. I don't know -- in this fantasy of mine, should they drive O'Heocha's, Soliloquy's, or...what's that one that projects sound in all directions...dynamic drivers (EDIT: Shahinians)...or maybe Nearfield Acoustics' Pipedreams...ah, yes...(snaps back to reality)

Nov 28, 2001 at 1:07 AM Post #8 of 9
Here are some quick mini reviews/thoughts on the CDs thus far :

1. Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape
80's Trash/70's psychedelic/Jazz/Classical/Pop/Opera/Black Metal/Avant Garde goodness. If you want to listen to something that is truly different, then you have to check this out! I got this for $3 at Half.com.

2. Mortiis - Smell of Rain
It sounds totally different from anything he's ever done. Instead of the new age/neo-classical style of the past, this cd is sounds more like dance music? The lyrics are still dark. Just think what would happen if someone with real talent decide to do this type of music and that's what you have here. $5 at Half.com

3. Opeth - Still Life
I only heard it once, so I need t hear it again a few times before I can tell you what I think, but so far it sounds really great. Kind of like Blackwater Park. The version I got came with the slip case. $11.99 new at J&R

4. My Dying Bride - Dreadful Hour
I only heard it once, so I need t hear it again a few times before I can tell you what I think, but so far it sounds different from their other releases, a lot more technical guiter work and tempo changes this time around and more special effects. I got the digipack version. This is one of the best looking digipack that I have ever seen, BTW. $11.99 new at J&R

Nov 28, 2001 at 3:04 AM Post #9 of 9
Follow ups :

I listen to Opeth's Still Life with my Sony MDR-CD1700 (Modded) with my Grado RA-1. Damn, this album is just amazing! I can't belive more prog fans are not into these guys. I like this album even more than their new one, which I love, but Still Life is even better.

My Dying Bride's Dreadful Hour is just amazing as well. The production values are much, much better than their last one. It's their best produced album of them all. The songs are epic, just really great stuff.

mydyingb.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back