My new computer speaker rig
Sep 18, 2008 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Bones13

Headphoneus Supremus
Finally got around to cleaning up my desk, and taking some pictures of my new speaker rig. My system starts with iTunes/ALAC going optical to a Headroom Ultra MicroDAC (not in the picture, as it is off to the side close to the Raptor).

New are the Tekton fullrange speakers, and the Mardis v3.0 T-amp. I am moving up from Swan m200, and have to say that these are much smoother sounding speakers. Of course the system is more expensive all around, but for the jazz vocal, and instrumental stuff I listen to at work, they are terrific.

web.jpg

Sep 18, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #4 of 19
Fostex 127E drivers in those beautiful boxes. Eric Alexander at Tektondesign,HiFi,Theater,Loudspeakers,(801)836-0764 makes wonderful stuff, you can pick your veneer, or take basic black. Fast work too.

Thanks krmathis.

I worried about the size of the boxes, but the footprint was very similar to my Swans M200, just taller, but as is the drivers are just about perfect to my ear level when I sit in my chair properly. I have been experimenting with angling them in, but the visual esthetic properties are lost. (and it becomes difficult to load the CDs into the side slot on the iMac.)

Sep 18, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #5 of 19
Those are some gorgeous speakers, I am thinking of adding an integrated amp to my headphone rig for a simple 2.0 setup and those just gave me some real wood. Please describe the sound and do you feel the need for a sub?

Sep 18, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #6 of 19
Nice looking speakers. I've been kidna curious about the sound of the Fostex full range stuff. How do they handle other genres like pop, and rock, and is there a sufficient low-end?

Also have you considered taking the DIY approach? The Fostex designs are very simplistic (relatively speaking).

Sep 19, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #7 of 19
Still have not given them a loud testing, rock and roll and such. I will give it a go this weekend if no one else is around the office to bother.

So far have listened to bluegrass, Jazz and some instrumental work. Very smooth and coherent.

I have felt no need for a sub in the nearfield listening I do.

Actually I have made a set of Voigt pipes for some 6.5 fostex drivers. After the buggers burned in, they are some very compentent speakers. My son has painted them black with some grey decorations (some band names, icons etc) and they really sound good.

I was not sure I could make a decent set of small boxes that would be good enough for my office, and decided to let a professional handle it.

Sep 20, 2008 at 12:16 PM Post #10 of 19
The black box under the iMac is the Mardis v3.0 Tripath Amp. I pretty much require having a volume control on the desktop, as I switch from speakers to headphones a lot, and generally don't make a lot of noise at the office during work hours.

The Headroom Ultra MicroDAC is in a drawer off to the side, and feeds an input to the Raptor headphone amp, which is off to the right of this setup in my shelves.

Sep 22, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #12 of 19
I never get the volume more than 25% with this amp. These speakers are very efficient, and its a nice amp. The "T-Amp" or Tripath amp, in its various forms are very popular here and on other audiophile boards.

If I had more room, and budget, I would probably put these speakers on a low wattage tubed amp. I hope to one day, but for now, the convience and small size of this amp is perfect for my needs today.

Sep 23, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #14 of 19
nice setup!

I am trying to decrease the footprint of my desktop 2.0 system, and I am looking at getting a T-amp.

How does the Trends compare to other manufacturers? Is the Mardis Signature Mod really worth the extra money over the non-moded?

Sep 27, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #15 of 19
Can anyone else explain if the modded version is better than the stock one?

I am looking for a T-amp for my desktop speaker rig, and I have narrowed down my choices to the Trends TA-10 and the Charlize.

Has anyone tried both? Which one is better.?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back