My new AKG K701!!!
May 24, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #32 of 50
it's time for you to get a job. it's much quicker getting the money than the allowance your parents give you.
280smile.gif

May 24, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #33 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattanproj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's time for you to get a job. it's much quicker getting the money than the allowance your parents give you.
280smile.gif

True, but with all that school work, plus summer school, it's hard to focus if I have a job. If I have a job I'll probably be able to upgrade more often, but then again, do I really want to upgrade that often? With this hobby, it seems like there's no end in the journey to audio perfection.

Jun 3, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #34 of 50
One of the best upgrades I recommend for the 701s is to have them re-cabled.

The GLite is a good lil amp, I have not heard any amps with the 701s that were under $800+ that performed any better than the glite. There are a few other amps in the glite price range, but the difference is taste really in the presentation of the sound, not overall SQ. So be happy with the glite
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 3, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #36 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of the best upgrades I recommend for the 701s is to have them re-cabled.

Uh, no. You are paying a lot for a little in terms of price-to-performance ratio. Upgrading the main chain (source, amp) would do you and your other 'phones a great reward.

Jun 3, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #37 of 50
Yeah source is huge with the K701s. When I got my OMZ it was a transformation in sound. Now I'm looking for a betterr amp but I'm not sure what to get.

Jun 4, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #38 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh, no. You are paying a lot for a little in terms of price-to-performance ratio. Upgrading the main chain (source, amp) would do you and your other 'phones a great reward.

Currently, my source is the computer (Juli@ --> Entech 203.2) and Sony CE595 --> Entech 203.2. What would you guys recommend I start saving up for? A better DAC? Perhaps the Musiland MD-10 or the CIAudio VDA-2?
Hopefully, a source upgrade is not needed. I'm hoping to hold off upgrading for awhile and spend money on CDs.

Update: After over 300 hours of burn-in I found the K701 to be very enjoyable to listen to, even with the LDM+. A lot more enjoyable than the HD595 that I gave to my dad. The soundstage seems to have expanded after 300 hours, the treble is smoother, and the bass is fuller. Keep in mind that I'm still waiting for the Gilmore Lite, so I expect the sound to improve even more.

The leather band used to push down on my head and gave me pain only after about 30 minutes, but it no longer does that. Perhaps the top of my head got used to it? Whatever it is, these headphones are very comfortable for long periods of listening.

Jun 4, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #39 of 50
I would like to add my congratulations both to you for the acquisition of the K701's and to your father for procuring your HD 595's. All around good experiences!

Jun 4, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #40 of 50
Congrats on your new 701's. I just bought a used set and am also enjoying them. Best midrange and soundstage I've ever heard (coming mostly from Grados).

Actually, they are near perfect IMO except that I find the bass juuust a little too smooth. There's plenty of it, it just doesn't have that impact/punch I'm looking for.

Jun 4, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #41 of 50
Congrats on the K701's. I must admit, when I first got mine I was dissapointed. However, the longer I used them the better they got, so if you found them so good straight out of the box, they are probably going to sound a whole lot better further down the track!

Jun 4, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #42 of 50
congrats!

now, no one for the Hornet yet??

Jun 12, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #43 of 50
Thanks for all your inputs!

I finally received the Gilmore Lite today!!! Now the K701 sounds much fuller, more details can be heard, and the amount as well as the quality of the bass improved. The soundstage is still very wide. I am really enjoying this set up! Katie Melua sounds very angelic!!!

I hope the much feared upgradeitis bug wouldn't bite me anytime soon. I want to spend my money on music now.

Some questions regarding burning in the Gilmore Lite:
1) How many hours will be needed for burn-in?

2) I read somewhere that it's better to plug in a pair of cheap headphones for burn. Why is that? Can't I just plug in the K701?

3) Does volume matter when burning in the amp?

Jun 12, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #44 of 50
Also said:
Just another perspective, I found that the K701 really came alive with the Woo Audio 3 amp. It warmed them up some, but left that glorious detail the 701's are famous for. I rolled the Woo tubes to 5998 HandK as power tube and oh my gosh... sonic bliss, to my ears.

Jun 12, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #45 of 50
1) How many hours will be needed for burn-in?

None. I never did hear any burn-in differences on my Gilmore Lite. Then again, I wasn't paying super-close attention, but I'm also pretty sure of my results.

2) I read somewhere that it's better to plug in a pair of cheap headphones for burn. Why is that? Can't I just plug in the K701?

If your goal is to burn in the amp, it doesn't matter what headphones you use. Just plug anything in.

3) Does volume matter when burning in the amp?

Nope, you can set it as low as you want. Just don't put it in the off position, then you won't be burning it in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back