My "New" AKG K701 Impressions (well it's a mini review)
May 5, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #16 of 58
A while ago, at a local store, I found out that the K701 are extremely picky to amp. When plugged into one headphone amp, it sounded beautiful with lots of detail and bass impact. After inserting them to another amp from a similar price range, all the good detail, bass impact and soundstage dissappeared. I guess this would explain all the K701 hate around here.

Personally, I like the K701's sound when amped properly. The only reason I didn't get one was because I doubt my receiver would be able to do that. I'm more than happy with my DT880 though.

May 5, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #17 of 58
It definitely IS amp dependent, as well as the source. Through my Eee PC 1000HE with FLAC and just the total bithead they got good synergy IMO (yes, it IS powerful enough), while the same setup but with Ipod touch first gen (with LOD obviously) doesn't sound as good. My T4 with high gain and bass boost also does surprisingly well in powering the K701's as well in a pinch. I also have an ancient C200 preamp which is pretty warm overall and is also a good match with K701's. My friend's got a Shanling (forgot the model) and they sound amazing on those.

May 5, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #18 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATHFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A while ago, at a local store, I found out that the K701 are extremely picky to amp. When plugged into one headphone amp, it sounded beautiful with lots of detail and bass impact. After inserting them to another amp from a similar price range, all the good detail, bass impact and soundstage dissappeared. I guess this would explain all the K701 hate around here.

Personally, I like the K701's sound when amped properly. The only reason I didn't get one was because I doubt my receiver would be able to do that. I'm more than happy with my DT880 though.

So...which amp sounded beautiful with lots of detail and bass impact.

May 5, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #19 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So...which amp sounded beautiful with lots of detail and bass impact.

I don't really remember that since I wasn't shopping for headphone amps. It wasn't really a brand I was familiar with, but then again, I'm not really an expert on amps. I do remember that the other headphone amp was from Pro-Ject. Don't know the exact model though.

May 5, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #20 of 58
Excellent read! And I'm not just saying that because I'm agreeing with the OP. Your assessment was extremely well written!

Earlier, today, I was nearly ready to throw my K702s out the window (still burning in)!! I put on an RVG remaster and the tracks sounded bright with anemic bass. I was ready to concede to the K701\2 bashers...
tongue.gif

But after listening to Joshua Redman's Live at Village Vanguard I was reminded of why I'm going thru with burn-in. The bass was well defined, and very much present. The tenor sax had an almost brassy visceral tone, air around the instruments, the music surrounded me!! Then I realized that the brightness experienced earlier wasn't the phones, but the recording, nothing more; nothing less!

The K701\2s are a bargain ,considering what they bring to the table, in the proper setting!

May 5, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #21 of 58
I do feel that V8p sounds nice with 701s. Tried some dark vocals, the tube made them less bright and more bassy. For portbale, P51 sonds great for me.

May 5, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #23 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as well as the source

This point should be reiterated. I think people may rely so heavily on their amp to provide improvements in sound that they completely forget the value of a good source.

May 5, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #24 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by S Smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This point should be reiterated. I think people may rely so heavily on their amp to provide improvements in sound that they completely forget the value of a good source.

Yes, I concur.

I think it is a bit silly to have amps/HPs worth thousands of dollars being fed by a laptop/outboard dac source.

May 5, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #25 of 58
I'm neither a fanboy of K701 nor HD6xx. Just want to share my experience with K701.

When I first listened to K701, I was so thrilled because it poured out abundant details and treble, which I was missing in my HD 650. I listened to 4 or 5 tracks in a CD and I thought I was gonna sell my HD 650 and keep K701 forever. Then I took a brief 1 to 1 listening with HD 650 and K701. Now everything changed completely. I finally realized what I was missing in K701. HD 650 sounds very musical, thick and full bodied. On the other hand, K701 was lean (it surely has bass extension but not having adequate bass impact IMHO) and not as musical as the former. K701 is definitely fun headphone but I felt I cannot listen to it that way forever. Moreover, the bump they have in middle of leather headband is sooo painful for my head. So I decided to keep HD 650 as my primary reference phone and I'm still having K701 with me now, but however I will put it on sale soon.

Please don't flame me for my comments on K701. I'm just sharing my experience, that's it. I know lot of things contribute to our listening experience. I used Heed Canamp, Gilmore Lite amps to test K701 and my music preferences are Classical and Jazz. Impressions may differ if tried in other setup and with different genre of music.

May 5, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #26 of 58
Murugesh: If\When there is another mini-meet, I would like to compare setups. I find it interesting that most people claim the cans aren't musical, not sure how much upstream components help in that matter. But, if I understand correctly, musical is simply something that gets your toe tappin' or head bobbin? If so, I have had numerous moments like that so far, but then again, I have a 'musical' source, based on the reviews I've read (?).

I would definitely like to hear the HD650 again, I have heard it 3 or more times in different configurations (stock, zu cable mod,etc...) and each time it was too dark and syrupy for me..
frown.gif
I also listen to Jazz & Classical..

May 5, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #27 of 58
Morph201: I was not trying to say K701 is bad. I have enjoyed K701 and had some pleasant listening experience with it for sometime. It still makes me to tap my toes (even KSC75 does it too)..but I get that toe tapping moment lot more with my HD 650.

I would have picked only K701 unless I had not compared it with HD 650 side by side. To my ears, Classical and Jazz sound better in HD 650 rather than K701. I agree that HD 650 is bit dark. Its a love or hate kinda phone.

I will definitely bring my HD 650 to the next meet.

May 5, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #28 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are fun cans with the right synergy. I do disagree that 701 is a lot more detailed then the 880. IMO when it comes to detail the 701 would rank fourth behind the 880, SA5000, and the DT48.

Have you tried the DT990? I would definitely say that the K701 has gobs more detail than the 990s. I haven't had a chance to try the 880s, but the fact that they're more detailed than the K701 piques my interest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find it interesting that most people claim the cans aren't musical...

I think that people many people are used to a colored/altered sound one way or another, so they aren't used to or just don't like the neutral, analytical sound of the K701. I'm not sure if they're marketed for studio use, but I can definitely see the K701 being used for reference in mixing or mastering, where as something like the HD6xx would never be used as such. Both are great to sit back and listen to, just in different ways.

May 5, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #29 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonsosnot
I think that people many people are used to a colored/altered sound one way or another, so they aren't used to or just don't like the neutral, analytical sound of the K701. I'm not sure if they're marketed for studio use, but I can definitely see the K701 being used for reference in mixing or mastering, where as something like the HD6xx would never be used as such. Both are great to sit back and listen to, just in different ways.

My impression is that K701 is more neutral than HD 650.
HD 600 is more neutral than K701.
K701 is more analytical than HD 600 and 650.

May 5, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #30 of 58
Amps that make the K70x shine are usually out of price range so aren't an option to most. My SP Platinum with the tubes in my sig. make them sound very nice. The TS 5998 really put some bass to them.

Another amp that the Ks really sound good on is the ECZD. The HD600-650 re-cabled sounded a bit better than the Ks but then if they were re-cabled, who knows. I won't spend more for a cable than the hp.

Nice impressions and it's nice to see new pads. Mine are worn and have been washed several times. They make the bass a bit more boomy.

There is a method to give some boom to the low end and tame some of the edginess. Simple and reversible. You remove the black foam ring and replace it with this cloth chamois. The open part is put toward the front and down slightly.

The AKG K701 - Friend or Foe - Mods that may help others

Users who are viewing this thread

Back