My new AKG K501's
Oct 26, 2001 at 1:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

richiemac

New Head-Fier
Just got my K501's from Headroom. Couldn't resist the $150 sale. Almost went with Jan Meier, as I was considering the Corda and he's only $10 more on the K501's, but decided I couldn't do the Corda right now....

All I've got to compare them to are my Senn HD570's and Grado SR80's. I don't currently have a quality amplifier, just a single 9V Hansen/CMoy that I did a poor job putting together and doesn't really sound all that great. I may have to see if JMT or someone can custom-tailor an Altoids for the K501.

Build Quality
Very solid, love the leather band and the comfy pads.

Directly out of my portable (Radio Shack CD-3904)
I was expecting very distant, thin sound and I'm not getting that at all. Sound is fairly full, extremely clear and very detailed. I'm listening to the Keith Jarrett Trio : Tokyo '96 (simple Piano, bass and drum jazz trio for those who aren't familiar) I am swinging to the swinging songs and groovin' with the grooves. The sound of the drums and especially the cymbals is amazing crisp and clear. The bass is definitely all there, but not as prominent as the Grado SR80 (wasn't expecting it to be). I'll tell you one thing, these things completely blow away the Senn HD570's. (IMO) And they're darn near as comfortable.
biggrin.gif

Poorly made CMOY/Hansen
Got a little more oomph out of this, but the amp is making things sound muddy, compressed or something. Don't know how to describe it, but it didn't sound this bad with the Senns or the Grados. Stupid lack of soldering skill!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif
wink.gif

Headphone out on cheap Fisher receiver
They sound surprisingly good out of this el-cheapo receiver.

My new Denon DCM370 should be coming soon. What do you guys think of the headphone out on that thing? Will it tide me over while I shop for an amp? Mmmmmm, I really think I want the Corda.... hehe

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Rich

<edit>Oh, did I mention that I really like them?</edit>

Oct 26, 2001 at 1:54 AM Post #2 of 35
you will need a high quality amp to get the most out of the K501; your cmoy might sound muddy if you designed it for low-ohm phones or something, but I don't really know. I'm glad that you noticed the sound is not distant or dull, even on less-than-exemplary equipment! I totally agree with your description. The sound is indeed full, detailed, and extremely accurate across the spectrum. They're great phones, and you made a terriffic choice!
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2001 at 3:36 AM Post #4 of 35
Hey Richiemac!
Welcome to team AKG! I can't wait to hear what you think of your 501s when you get a good amp on 'em! Meanwhile, enjoy!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2001 at 3:13 PM Post #7 of 35
hmm...don't know about the corda. I do know that the Creek OBH-11SE sounds amazing with the K501.

Oct 26, 2001 at 3:37 PM Post #8 of 35
From what I've read, the Corda should be very good. I haven't heard it personally, so I can't say for sure, but I have heard the Creek OBH-11SE (I have one, so beware my potential bias)

The Creek OBH-11SE sounds GREAT with the 501s.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2001 at 6:50 PM Post #9 of 35
The Corda works well with the K501. Another amp that I think works real well with them is the HeadRoom amps. Their crossfeed processor has a little bass boost that I think suits this phone well, where I think it's a little too much for the Senn. 580/600.

Oct 26, 2001 at 9:32 PM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by KurtW
[...] Another amp that I think works real well with them is the HeadRoom amps. Their crossfeed processor has a little bass boost that I think suits this phone well, [...] .

As owner of a HeadRoom Little / AKG 501 combo I have to emphatically agree with KurtW

Oct 27, 2001 at 4:46 AM Post #11 of 35
Gosh, thanks for the welcome mat, guys! Am I really on a team?? I don't have to attend practice or anything, right?
wink.gif

I've had the K501's on almost since I got home from work (other than taking my wife to see K-PAX). When my wife got home I was laying on the couch listening to some CD's I just got in the mail (Diana Krall's "Stepping Out" is excellent.)

If anything I'm enjoying them even more than yesterday. They actually sound pretty good with my homemade amp today, so I'm not sure what was going through my head yesterday.

So, I should look at the OBH11, OBH11/SE, the Corda, various Headroom models and/or something else??? You guys are lots of help... j/k.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2001 at 5:11 AM Post #12 of 35
LOL! No, no, you don't have to get all those amps! Just the OBH-11SE and the Corda. By the way, word to the wise: only listen to me, the rest of these guys are crazy!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

And yeah, you're officially on team AKG, the tiniest, puniest headphone team of them all. Don't you feel blessed?
wink.gif
Yeah, we're sort of a small contingent here, but we're growing! tell your friends!

Oct 27, 2001 at 5:13 AM Post #13 of 35
The tiniest, puniest contingent would be Tomcat.

He does have mikejazz and Tony Blair on his side tho!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back