My Music Server!!!
Dec 1, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #77 of 84
Dear Mr Mahler

I was at an Apple store yesterday telling the salesmen that I wanted to build a media center for my collection and asked her what were the possibilities I had using a Mac.  She asked me if I knew of head-fi and that her husband showed her a system he saw using iTunes and Front Row.  The saleswoman pulled up this thread and I was simply astounded.  I thought I had a large classical collection (3500 CDs and some vinyl rips).  Needless to say I want this system for my very own.  I would think you have most of the CDs I own already in your database.  I was going to offer that I fly you out to Philadelphia (where I am), though I'm in New York this week, and you could spend a few days creating this system for me from my CD database.  You probably wouldn't need to re-rip most of the CDs.  I wouldn't expect you to give me CDs in the database which I do not own.  But I would pay you a lump sum if you'd be willing to do this for me.  I suppose we should discuss the rest of the details in email.  Please email me at Juv1973@hotmail.com if you are interested in doing this for me.  If I am too presumptuous, my apologies, but I honestly have never seen anything this thorough for classical music in my entire life.  This is the DREAM lived in real life!

-Joseph

Dec 2, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #78 of 84
This might be a very dumb question, but why do you use front row instead of the regular itunes UI? I could see how it would be helpful if you had the server hooked up to a tv and wanted to browse from the couch, is that what you are using it for? 

With the ipad\iphone\ipod app "Remote" updated by apple, it seems that it might be more convenient to browse the collection on your mobile device and just control your server's itunes from there, all without turning on the TV...Any reason you aren't going that route?

I am sorry if this a dumb question, but I just dont see Front Row being used that often.

Thanks!

Dec 2, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #79 of 84

Quote:
This might be a very dumb question, but why do you use front row instead of the regular itunes UI? I could see how it would be helpful if you had the server hooked up to a tv and wanted to browse from the couch, is that what you are using it for? 

With the ipad\iphone\ipod app "Remote" updated by apple, it seems that it might be more convenient to browse the collection on your mobile device and just control your server's itunes from there, all without turning on the TV...Any reason you aren't going that route?

I am sorry if this a dumb question, but I just dont see Front Row being used that often.

Thanks!

Not a dumb question at all.

The remote application works well in most instances, except that it puts Folders before playlists whereas Front Row combines the two.  Without this unique aspect of Front Row, the folders before playlists can often ruin the alphabetical achievement I was aiming at, though it is certainly feasible that someone may wish to use the application with their system.  I believe the application works with PCs as well though I may be mistaken.  

Front Row is operative without a TV, so it's really not a hassle, but one needs to set there computer and system up properly to avoid typical Front Row bugs.

The Front Row version is ultimately more complete, but the remote takes you 90% there.

Hope this helps

To juv73.....very kind of you, I'll be emailing you within a day or two.  Thanks for the kind words though!

Dec 3, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #80 of 84
David Mahler, virtual music library curator/administrator to the kings!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back