My Music Server!!!
Oct 20, 2010 at 1:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 84

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
Note, this is a duplicate thread which I posted in the Music Section, but I think it's fitting for this section as well.  If a moderator would rather move it I understand.

[size=medium]
A friend of mine came over today and I showed him my Music Server.  By this I don’t mean my headphones, amp and DAC.  I showed him the way in which I have organized my collection of over 12,000 CDs.  He was taken aback by the organization and attention to detail, and it made me think that maybe some people on head-fi would be interested in seeing what I’ve done.

Currently I have a collection of 6,500+ Classical CDs, 4,000+ popular music CDs (with an emphasis on Rock) and 2,000+ Jazz CDs.  I store them in my bedroom in wonderful metal drawers, but these CDs hardly ever leave the cabinets.  Instead, over the past 3 years I have designed a system using a Mac, iTunes and Front Row which I think is the most meticulous that I’ve ever seen.

All my CDs are ripped in EAC using an iTunes plugin which converts all WAV files into Apple Lossless.  Then the id3 tag names are hand typed by me.  I research all the composition, recording and release dates (as well as label information).  Finally in order to access the way in which I feel most organized, I create thousands and thousands of play lists in iTunes which are activated using Front Row.

The music takes up roughly 3TB.  I’ve calculated that my CD collection when it was purchased new over time has accumulated to roughly $300k…..I never kept track, but it really is amazing to me just how far this obsession has gone.  At least 80% of the CD collection is hand scanned by myself, but I admit to using numerous internet posted scans if they are high quality.  All scans are roughly 600 by 600 pixels.

Anyway, I wanted to post some screen captures showing you what it looks like.

Please note:
Even though all my CDs have been ripped, only a small percentage of my play lists have been completed in iTunes and when the server is completed in roughly 6 months, the server will have a LOT more music to display.

Here's an example of how it works:

Using Front Row (and a simple remote) I start at the Playlist Screen titled COMPLETE COLLECTION
I select the Genre which I want to hear.  This is what the screen looks like

In my first example I will choose CLASSICAL MUSIC to demonstrate just how awesome this system works for Classical.  I much prefer browsing my Classical Collection by COMPOSER than by artist, especially when there are over 6,000 CDs being organized

When you select CLASSICAL MUSIC the next screen lists the composers (please note I haven't done too many playlists as of yet so it only shows a very small fraction of all the composers which will eventually end up in the system):

Let's say I choose MOZART, WOLFGANG AMADEUS, I will then be brought to this screen:

Above is all the different types of works which Mozart composed.  This makes it very easy to navigate to the work which I want to hear.  Let's say I choose [CONCERTOS]
I am brought to this next screen:

As you can see, the concertos are divided into 3 obvious sections.  If a concerto contains both strings and winds it will appear under both listings.  Let's say I Choose [for KEYBOARD]

I end up at this screen:

Now let's say I choose [PIANO CONCERTOS], I end up at the next screen, note that the Concerto for Violin & Piano is not in CAPS and is not bracketed.  The reason for this is, clicking on it will lead to actual versions of the piece rather than what you will see below which is work-listings:

Above is the screen with all of Mozart's Piano Concertos listed.  Let's say I choose the 20th which is one of my favorites!  The next screen will have all 18 versions which I own of the piece listed alphabetically by Pianist; Conductor; Orchestra.  It looks like this:

Let's say I select Rubinstein's wonderful version. The next screen looks like this:

Please note above that all my track titles for Classical music have a number before the track so that way I can remember the movement which I like.  Also note the description which begins with the year of composition, the year of recording and the year of CD release date followed by the parent label company.  This is all researched by me using numerous sites.  Also I make sure that all versions of the same work have the exact same track titles to avoid confusion so for instance if this were Uchida's version of the 20th Piano Concerto, the track titles would read identically.

Once I click on the track I want, this is the final screen:

Now for Popular music this system works equally well.  I choose from a list of artists, in this case I choose BEATLES:

Please note that [ALL SONGS] is a "smart playlist" which lists all Beatles songs alphabetically in case I don't know which album a particular song is on and I want to easily find it.  I include this feature for every artist aside from the Classical section.

EDIT: If you are like me you appreciate Bonus tracks which labels add on to re-issues.  However, bonus tracks can often destroy the continuity of an artist's original intent for an album.  Who wants to hear any song after "Won't Get Fooled Again?"  Not me!  To alleviate this often, very annoying issue I choose to create playlists of albums with the original artist intent and create a separate playlist which I store under the [COMPILATIONS] tab called [bonus tracks].  This playlist lists all the bonus tracks alphabetically by a specific artist.  In addition, the bonus track will show the cover art of the CD it is on and also list the CD title just as if I were listening to the album.  I unfortunately have not included a picture of this but if there is any confusion I'd be happy to upgrade this OP and include a picture.

Now let's say I choose the very awesome Revolver album....I end up here:

If I click on [Stereo Version] it will take me to a tab of [Original Version 1987] or [Remastered Version 2009]

If I choose the Remastered I end up here:

Please take note that for organization purposes, I follow the rules of song title capitilzation this is why "to" and "into" are lower case.
Also note that a lot of behind the scenes work take place when cataloging in iTunes.  For instance, iTunes has a sort feature which allows you to officially title an artist First name first, such as Neil Young, but then sorting it behind the scenes so that Neil Young ends up under the letter Y instead of N.  This particular feature is not necessary for my system, but it is especially useful when not using Front Row, such as sending songs to an iPod or just browsing iTunes without Front Row.  Therefore I prepare all my CDs with this in mind.  This includes classical music artists who will be shown as "Isaac Stern; Itzhak Perlman" but in the sort feature will be typed as "Stern, Isaac; Perlman; Itzhak."

For Jazz Music this system works very uniquely, because I like to fully research who were the sidemen of a particular album and include the album under multiple Artist names.  For instance, the Miles Davis album "Kind Of Blue" will appear under Miles Davis of course, but it will also appear under Bill Evans in the [as sideman] section.  Let me show you what I mean.

Here is Keith Jarrett's screen (which by the way I own every recording he's ever made or been a sideman on....he's my favorite!!!):

If I click on [ALL SONGS] I can see all the songs which have included Jarrett both as a leading artist and as a sideman:

Some songs are listed more than once because he recorded them numerous times.  The name of the album is listed when the song is selected.  Please note the sidemen for that recording is listed in the Information tab below the song title.

If instead I want to choose an album which Jarrett was a sideman of but not a leading performer, I choose [as sideman] and end up here:

Let's say I choose an album which Jarrett was a leader of rather than sideman, I end up here.  This example is using his album "Expectations":

And there you have it.  This is the system which I have been working on for over 3 years.  Most of the music has already been ripped, but the playlist creating and id3 tag formatting takes hours and hours, not to mention the scans.  This system is an achievement which I am truly proud of.  When it's done I may sell my entire CD collection of over 12,000 CDs because I truly enjoy navigating my music like this more than I ever enjoyed a CD system.

I hope you enjoyed looking!  Feel free to ask me questions as how to emulate this system with your own collection, just keep in mind it takes a LOT of time:)

-Dave

UPDATE:
I've been asked to show some behind the scenes photos of how this is organized behind-the-scenes.

I didn't take too many, and I stuck to just classical because I feel this is the most confusing to organize.

Once again, here is Mozart.  This demonstrates his chamber music section and how it is broken down with folders.  Note the one folder which is open demonstrates the playlists via ensemble name alphabetically.

Here is an example of a work I have many copies of, Mahler's 9th Symphony

Here is how some of it is typed using Mahler's 2nd Symphony

Here is the sort:

[/size]

Oct 20, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #2 of 84
eek.gif
...Thats simply AWESOME.

Very nicely thought out and managed. Well Done. I'll bookmark this for future use.

Oct 20, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #3 of 84
Really nice job (and a great post), I wish I was that organized, maybe someday! 

"All my CDs are ripped in EAC using an iTunes plugin which converts all WAV files into Apple Lossless.

I thought the EAC plugin was for FLAC encoding in iTunes though, why use it for ALAC?

Oct 20, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #4 of 84

Quote:
Really nice job (and a great post), I wish I was that organized, maybe someday! 

"All my CDs are ripped in EAC using an iTunes plugin which converts all WAV files into Apple Lossless.

I thought the EAC plugin was for FLAC encoding in iTunes though, why use it for ALAC?

Thanks! 

I use EAC and use a plug in for ALAC because I still find EAC is the most secure way to get a good rip and observe errors.  But I rip into ALAC because I want to browse the collection in Front Row which is a Mac only program. :)  (I'm actually adding this as an edit, I was rereading your post and I just want to add that there are many plug ins you can add into EAC, but FLAC is the standard)

Therefore I use a PC to rip the music and then a Mac to store and browse, though one is certainly welcomed to rip their music in iTunes, I'm sure there really is no final difference or very very tiny final difference at the end. 

Oct 20, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #5 of 84

Quote:
eek.gif
...Thats simply AWESOME.

Very nicely thought out and managed. Well Done. I'll bookmark this for future use.

:) sure... and I'm free to answer questions as to how it's done.  For instance, most of the details are behind the scenes.  Even though the Artist name is "Keith Jarrett" when I use the sort artist function in iTunes I type in Jarrett, Keith so that if I ever browse it regular iTunes instead of Front Row, I can still read the names alphabetically.

Oct 20, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #7 of 84
Yeah I was thinking that the plugin made iTunes FLAC-compatible, wrong!

Oct 20, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #9 of 84
We need to introduce you to J River Media Center. 
wink.gif

Amazing!  I'm just thinking of the time involved in ripping and tagging and organizing that many CDs and I'm in amazement.  Do you do that all yourself or have you hired local kids or temp workers or library science students to help rip and tag?

I like to think I've done a good job organizing and tagging my collection.  I'm not even close to your level.  I started re-ripping about four years ago when I switched from MP3 to FLAC.  The first batch of CDs I re-ripped didn't get the same attention and tagging as the later CDs.  The first batch are still missing some info like catalog number and year of release.  I've been meaning to go back and add that info for the past year.  I have not gotten around to doing it and I likely won't.  It is hard to make the time for that when I've got another pile of CDs that still need good cover scans and a big batch of eTree Grateful Dead downloads that still need to be organized and imported to my library.  I'll likely not get around to freshening up the tags on that first batch of CDs for several years.  I still need to go through my classical music collection and do some tagging to divide them into better genre, style, and period.  It just takes so much time.  And my library is just but a very very small fraction of yours.

Even with my less than ideal tagging it is still amazing how well it does for being able to find specific works and find what I want to listen to.  I love computer as source.  So much more flexible for organizing than physical CDs on a shelf.

Oct 20, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #10 of 84
Simply awesome. You've inspired me to re-work my 207 cd collection, (after seeing numbers like 12000, 207 just doesn't muster up to "collection"). I ripped 5 CDs tonight and will do some more tomorrow. I'm using MAX but am interested in how you got EAC to work on a Mac. Please do tell!

Oct 20, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #12 of 84
So I just learned how to use the system our OP did, "playlist folders" within "playlist folders" and then finally standard playlist in those to get the desired effect, exactly as the OP has done. Its actually a joy to create, and even better to use.  Just to show how complex it is, though that complexity is only in creating it, not navigating, it took a combination of fifteen (15) playlist folders and standard playlist creations to organize 5 cd's properly.

For my example

Soundtracks

Game Score
    (Martin O'Donnell
          Halo Reach disc 1 and 2

Movie Score
     (Hans Zimmer
             Hannibal 
     (John Debney
             The Passion of the Christ   

Folk

Scottish
     (Bonnie Rideout
             Bonnie Rideout Vol. 1        

That's for two genres of "Folk" and Soundtrack", then within "Folk" came "Scottish", then "Bonnie Rideout" and then her cd, and "Soundtracks" was further divided into "Movie Score" and "Game Score", with three composer folders, then their respective cd's.

Its going to take me weeks to do 200 cd's, I see why it would take three years with 12000.

Oct 20, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #13 of 84
I have used EAC to FLAC all of my cd's, then have vbr MP3's averaging around 245 with 700x700 album around on almost all except a few 600x600.  Made sure all info is tagged correctly including upper/lower case for each album.

This is back upped to external hard drives.

Glad I'm not the only one

Oct 20, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #14 of 84
Would you be willing to post a screenshot of the "Get Info" screen? I'd love to see you tagged everything.

Oct 20, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #15 of 84
Yes, I will do post some screens later this evening.

For double discs, I tend to combine into one disc and reassign the track numbers......

For anything more than 3 discs (which is always a compilation) I usually break it up into discs.

I'll show everything later, stay tuned...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back