My MOSFET MAX Build
Jan 10, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #122 of 137

Maybe he just wants to let us know he has nothing to say...

Quote:
Trying to increase your post count?

Jan 10, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #123 of 137

Quote:

No, I thought it would be better to email you with my question on installing the switch. The double post was an error. Plus, I could not find the delete button.

Anyway. Can you recommend a  toggle switch for the MOSFET MAX? One that will let you switch from the onboard DAC to the RCA jacks. I don't see one listed on the BOM.

Jan 11, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #124 of 137

Quote:
Quote:

No, I thought it would be better to email you with my question on installing the switch. The double post was an error. Plus, I could not find the delete button.

Anyway. Can you recommend a  toggle switch for the MOSFET MAX? One that will let you switch from the onboard DAC to the RCA jacks. I don't see one listed on the BOM.

Any SPST switch will work - It can be a push-button as well, as long as it's not a momentary one.  You only need something to make and break wires that would be connected to the two-position terminal block.   I happen to like mini-toggles best, but that's a personal choice.  There are so many I'd rather not pick on specifically.  I think the ones I used are Radio Shack's:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062506&filterName=Type&filterValue=SPST
You may find that it's easier and perhaps cheaper to get a DPDT when you get a mini-toggle.  DPDT's are so much more common that SPST's in the mini-toggle variety.

If you want to get fancy, you can use that DPDT mini toggle and wire in LED(s)  to the other poles.  That way, you can have the onboard DAC's LED mounted on the front panel and it will light when the DAC is connected.  Fancier still, you can have two LEDs - one for USB connection to indicate the USB is connected and a second one that lights when the DAC is engaged.  That's what I did on one of my MOSFET-MAXes:
MOSFET-MAX.jpg

The flash from the camera has blinded out the LED's, but there's a red LED for USB power (if the switch is thrown in that direction, the RCA jacks are engaged, but the light doesn't light unless the USB is connected) and a green LED for onboard DAC engagement (again, it only lights if the USB is connected). This was from the Atlanta meet prior to CanJam and I had a GrubDAC connected through the RCA's and a BantamDAC onboard the PCB.

Mar 3, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #131 of 137
Are there any performance issues with installing the RB12R/L trimmers reversed on the PCB with the trimmer screws father away from the tubes?  I'm thinking probably not, but I want to make sure. The reason I'm asking is because I want the trimmer screw holes to be father away from the tube bushings on top plate.  I don't want the right trimmer screw hole to be half covered. 

Mar 3, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #132 of 137
No, there are no issues.  As a matter of fact, they need to be turned the other way on the MOSFET-MAX for the very reason that you've shown in the image.  Just remember that they'll turn the opposite of what's documented.  I never, ever remembered which way to turn them anyway, so it's not an issue, IMHO.  I've just always looked at the meter, made a slight turn, and then noted which way the effect registered on the meter - and adjusted accordingly.

May 23, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #133 of 137
I finally got around to posting some pictures of my MOSFET MAX. Its wearing Rust-Oleum aged copper paint and has Elna RFS Silmic II caps in the signal path. The tubes are 12FM6. It also has an on board grubDAC. Sounds great with AKG K702's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back