My Morning Jacket - Okonokos
Sep 30, 2006 at 9:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

elrod-tom

Moderator - Prefers "stereo weirdo" to "audiophile"
Earlier this week, I gave the new live album by My Morning Jacket - Okonokos - a full listening on Yahoo! Music. Well, I liked it so much that I took the first opportunity that came up (the next day at Best Buy) to purchase it.

It's early on in my listening, and it's possible that I may tire of it, but I've been listening to this one pretty much non-stop since I bought it. This might be the best live album I've heard in a VERY long time. It has an energy that I don't find in their studio stuff (think of their studio stuff, stir in a little bit of The Who and Little Feat and your pretty close to this one).

I can't recommend this one highly enough...anyone else have some impressions to share??

Sep 30, 2006 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 5
I've really been liking MMJ since I first heard "It Still Moves".

Z was even better.

I haven't yet heard Okonokos, but I have some ROIO's so I know they're great live...I'll have to pick this one up ASAP!
biggrin.gif

Sep 30, 2006 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 5
I got sick of mmj a couple years ago when my roomate would play them real loud on his crappy multi-media speakers that came with his dell (loud enough for the 'sub' to pop). They had some good stuff though, so maybe I should check them out again.

Sep 30, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #4 of 5
FYI

There are over 70 My Morning Jacket live shows available for streaming or completely legal downlowning on the Internet Archive site www.archive.org

The most recent one is from July 4th, 2006 and the earliest one dates from December 14th, 1999 with everything in between. So if you want to "try before you buy" this is a great way to do so without breaking any laws. The sound quality varies from okay (as in mediocre audience recordings) to very good (as in pre-FM broadcasts) so you have to hunt around. Most of the shows are available in several different file formats including flac, ogg, low bit rate MP3 and VBR MP3 and sometimes even 24 bit flac. Well worth checking out.

Oct 1, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphp@optonline
FYI

There are over 70 My Morning Jacket live shows available for streaming or completely legal downlowning on the Internet Archive site www.archive.org

The most recent one is from July 4th, 2006 and the earliest one dates from December 14th, 1999 with everything in between. So if you want to "try before you buy" this is a great way to do so without breaking any laws. The sound quality varies from okay (as in mediocre audience recordings) to very good (as in pre-FM broadcasts) so you have to hunt around. Most of the shows are available in several different file formats including flac, ogg, low bit rate MP3 and VBR MP3 and sometimes even 24 bit flac. Well worth checking out.

I really love the Internet Archive, I've downloaded a LOT of great shows from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back