My Morning Jacket "Dondante"
Jan 15, 2006 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Davey

Headphoneus Supremus
Dondante, the closer from My Morning Jacket's latest Z. Love this song. Something like 8 minutes long, starting out reminiscent of that great David Bowie song "The Man Who Sold the World", but slowed down and quieter. With Jim James reverb laden and high pitched Neil Young meets Jeff Buckley vocals. Then at about 3 1/2 minutes in it erupts into something closer to Jimmy Page, with some nice bluesy guitar soloing for awhile, before calming back down for the last couple minutes to close it out gently like it began. Very cool. Usually have to repeat this one a few times cause it goes by way too fast. Just checked and see that there's a mp3 available at the salon site ... http://anon.salon.speedera.net/anon....t-dondante.mp3

Whole album is pretty cool. Only had it for the last couple weeks so still getting to know it. I have the two previous ones, and like them a lot too, but this one does more for me overall. Some pretty tight songs to go along with the jam happy stuff. Think maybe the third song "Gideon" is my favorite right now, nice anthemic rocker, but the first half of the CD is one of the strongest I've had the fortune of hearing this past year. Lots of nods to Mercury Rev and The Band and Neil Young and the Who and other classic rockers, but with a slightly twisted view, somewhat akin to the White Stripes at times.

Sure got a lot of critical acclaim, and I was half expecting a big letdown to be honest, so held off getting it for a long time. And there was also the big issue about the invasive copy protection under Windows. Apparently the band was also pretty mad at Sony for putting this stuff on their disc so have offered to send anyone who has bought the CD a CD-R copy with no protection. And you can always avoid the issue entirely by getting the nice gatefold 2-LP set (with an extra song) from Badman Recording
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, really fun to watch a band like this progress over the course of their young career, exploring their roots and influences, changing direction as the band members and other circumstances change, and making the move to the majors without losing sight of their music. Their live show is a real spectacle to see too. Opinions? Either pro or con welcome
wink.gif

Jan 16, 2006 at 11:55 AM Post #2 of 3
I've been a MMJ fanboy eversince I saw them playing live back in 2000. Since then they have evolved from a bunch of shyish nerdy types playing accoustic songs to a great rockband. Their new albums always surprise me as they are definately not afraid to try something new.

Jan 16, 2006 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 3
I've been wanting to check out this Kentucky band for a while now.I think I'll buy a couple of their CDS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back