My mini-review of the latest update to the Apple iBuds.
Jul 8, 2011 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Groznyjgrad

New Head-Fier
Note: I'm not talking about the ADDIEM, I'm talking about the very latest generation of the stock apple earbuds, these ones: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB770G/B?fnode=MTY1NDA0Ng&mco=MTM3NDkzOTc. Anything before the ones packaged with the iPhone 4/iTouch 4G were complete trash, but these are a lot better.

My thoughts:

Build quality: Slightly rubbery cable, the earbuds themselves feel solid enough with large strain reliefs, as well as a strain relief on the 3.5MM jack. The volume rocker is quite useful for iPod/iPhone users as well.

No isolation to speak of, since they just sit outside your ears.

Next to no microphonics due to the fact that it doesn't create an acoustic chamber in your ear canal.

Balanced, neutral, and analytical sound signature. The sound is detailed and a bit airy, with very low bass response due to the more open design as well as the fact that it creates no seal whatsoever.

Overall, these aren't that bad of a value considering they come free with your iPod. While they obviously can't compete with any good IEM, they are much better than something like the SkullCandy Ink'd or the $10 IEM your twelve-year-old picks out at the gas station. The question is, would you pay the $30 asked by Apple per pair? Probably not. But if you got a pair for free with your iPod, pull 'em out of the trash and give them a listen, you might be surprised.

-Groznyj Grad

May 29, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:
 Anything before the ones packaged with the iPhone 4/iTouch 4G were complete trash, but these are a lot better.

-Groznyj Grad

This is kind of funny because this model was first introduced with the iPhone 3GS and hasn't changed since...

But yes, sonically they are very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back