My mini k-81 review
Jan 12, 2007 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Sunkinator

Head-Fier
Hey guys, I needed a closed headphone for riding on the bus and was recommended the k-81 by multiple people.

Now it has arrived and nearly has 45 hours of burn-in on it.

Treble: It sounded very muffled at first but then I realized that there was a fabric foam pad in the bowl so I took it out. The highs got ALOT better than with the foam in so I kept it out. Now with the burn-in, The highs are alot better than my logitech x-530 5.1 speaker config.

MidRange: The midrange is very accurate and revealing. By revealing I mean that you can start hearing things in your music that you've never heard before. It sounds a bit polluted from the BIG bass so I will probably end up doing the plasticine mod on my k-81's.

Bass: Now this is where the headphone really stands out. The k-81's make my subwoofer jealous. They deliver above average clarity in the basslines and all the power you will ever need and some extra too!

This headphone is also great for riding the bus because it isolates you from the engine hum/ people talking but only when your music is playing.

I'd give the style a 7/10 because these are a bit funky but they dont stand out THAT much. The black on black version would be even better for wearing in public.

Jan 12, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 4
i think you hit it on the spot. and if you start having comfort probs, bend the headband - but by putting the ends toward each other, like a pair of tongs, not out.

i got Senn HD25 velour pads. it came with a more porous foam, so instead of just tossing the interior foam altogether, it replaced it with the HD foam. now, it strikes a nice balance in the highs and i never felt the need for the blue-tak mod. and the velour pads of course - less isolation, but not as monstrous spill-over bass (plenty for my needs tho still!) enjoy your new cans!

Jan 12, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #4 of 4
The x530's are a horrible reference for comparison. I used to do that too, until I realised how crap they are. I too have the X530's and they are absolutely horrific for everything other than movies.

I also find that the K81's sound similar to them in a lot of aspects. Boomy bass, narrow sounding (even though the x530 is a 5.1 set), a sort of nasal, hollow overall sound, terrible extension at both extremes (that being the case for X530, K81's lack only treble extension)

But that isnt to say the K81's sound bad, for 50 bucks, they kick just about everythin else in that price range when it comes to bass and they are closed as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back