My mind is starting to melt.
Jan 24, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hybrys /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would usually agree about DSPs, but I was designing some sounds for a small theatre festival we are having, and I found myself applying a compressor a lot. It got me to thinking that maybe, with the right hardware/software/time invested, you could see something better from almost anything. That being said, it would require a lot of time.

Thanks. = D

Makes sense from the creation or recording standpoint. Not so much for simple file playback.

cheers

Jan 24, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #17 of 31
I would take a look at the PS Audio DL3 dac. Has USB, optical, and coaxial inputs. Upsamples to 96 and 192, fully balanced (even has xlr outputs), and even sounded better than a McIntosh dac used in a $150k 2 channel setup and that dac was $4k! I love mine. U can pick one up for $695.

Jan 24, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #18 of 31
^I second this. I own it and I think it's really outstanding. $695 is the new price, if you're willing to pay it. Otherwise, keep an eye out on the used forums here and over at Audiogon - they very frequently come up in the $500-550 range used.

Jan 24, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by bixby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lots of new folks to computer audio or anyone who is experiencing what this hobby can throw at them often times expresses small differences or preferences as BIG differences and conclusions of "rightness".

Yes the differences between sources are often presented as big when they are actually zero. (Provided measured specs are at least the maximum potential of 16/44 which is true for all semi-pro sound cards.)
You don't have to pay more than $50 to get an essentially perfect stereo output. (You'll pay more for good drivers and other features.)
Quote:

So to sum up if it were me, I would hold off spending the big $ on Senn 800s or 650s and concentrate on the front end, and perhaps a lower priced HP with a better source.

Which leads to the opposite conclusion since while the differences between DACs are zero and the differences between headphones are large, the money should go to headphones.
Quote:

To the OPs comment on DSP, I am not sure what they meant, but if they meant Digital signal processing as in let's change the signal via EQ or spatial effects to make my headphone sound the way I want, I am not a big fan. Especially because you add even more cost. EQ can rarely solve a inherent issue in response with a HP unless it is minor. And you should obviously do so with care, no 12db boosts at 40hz to get more low end when the driver is not capable of it let's say. But it can be helpful. As for spatial effects, let's just leave that one alone altogether.

EQ can solve linear distortion. E.g. frequency response.
A reference is:
"On the Standardization of the Frequency Response of High-Quality Studio Headphones"
However you have to pay money to get it.
I think actually they are comparing mid-to-high end headphones and showing that they all sound the same when equalized at the ear. Presumably they all have low non-linear distortion.
How to actually do this I don't know. So it's a bit academic.

Jan 24, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #20 of 31
Can anyone comment on LD DAC_I vs the DL3?

So far I hear the LD wins, both in quality and price point.

Jan 25, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #22 of 31
CSMR;6344086 said:
Yes the differences between sources are often presented as big when they are actually zero. (Provided measured specs are at least the maximum potential of 16/44 which is true for all semi-pro sound cards.)
You don't have to pay more than $50 to get an essentially perfect stereo output. (You'll pay more for good drivers and other features.)
deadhorse.gif
LOL- All of the folks paying more than $50 for a DAC are Deaf. Surely you are entitled to your opinion but don't ride on in here and tell us that it is fact that all dacs sound the same.

Which leads to the opposite conclusion since while the differences between DACs are zero and the differences between headphones are large, the money should go to headphones.

You have a friend or two (of the thousands that visit Headfi) that also subscribe to this theory, oh wait a minute it is FACT according to you. I'm not joining your cult nor are a lot of other folks who have heard with their own ears. The chap who asked the question about how a particular dac sounds compared to another seems to be of the opinion that they sound different or at least that is his leaning. He can sort it out when he actually gets one. Why not hang out with one of your converted instead!
mad.gif

Jan 25, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSMR /img/forum/go_quote.gif

deadhorse.gif
LOL- All of the folks paying more than $50 for a DAC are Deaf. Surely you are entitled to your opinion but don't ride on in here and tell us that it is fact that all dacs sound the same.

You have a friend or two (of the thousands that visit Headfi) that also subscribe to this theory, oh wait a minute it is FACT according to you. I'm not joining your cult nor are a lot of other folks who have heard with their own ears. The chap who asked the question about how a particular dac sounds compared to another seems to be of the opinion that they sound different or at least that is his leaning. He can sort it out when he actually gets one. Why not hang out with one of your converted instead!
mad.gif

Rofl, I wasn't gonna be the one to say it. BUT, every component has a bit in obtaining quality sound. If every DAC was a perfect passthrough, BILLIONS of dollars would have been spent in vein across the word.

Jan 25, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

deadhorse:LOL- All of the folks paying more than $50 for a DAC are Deaf. Surely you are entitled to your opinion but don't ride on in here and tell us that it is fact that all dacs sound the same.

mad.gif

Yes this is a fact based on properly conducted tests gauging the limits of audibility.

"Audibility of a CD-Standard A/D/A Loop Inserted into High-Resolution Audio Playback". E. Brad Meyer and David R. Moran. JAES 55(9) September 2007.

Abstract:
Claims both published and anecdotal are regularly made for audibly superior sound quality for two-channel audio encoded with longer word lengths and/or at higher sampling rates than the 16-bit/44.1-kHz CD standard. The authors report on a series of double-blind tests comparing the analog output of high-resolution players playing high-resolution recordings with the same signal passed through a 16-bit/44.1-kHz "bottleneck." The tests were conducted for over a year using different systems and a variety of subjects. The systems included expensive professional monitors and one high-end system with electrostatic loudspeakers and expensive components and cables. The subjects included professional recording engineers, students in a university recording program, and dedicated audiophiles. The test results show that the CD-quality A/D/A loop was undetectable at normal-to-loud listening levels, by any of the subjects, on any of the playback systems. The noise of the CD-quality loop was audible only at very elevated levels.

Jan 25, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hybrys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rofl, I wasn't gonna be the one to say it. BUT, every component has a bit in obtaining quality sound.

Yes but some are at least 5 orders of magnitude less important than others.
Quote:

If every DAC was a perfect passthrough, BILLIONS of dollars would have been spent in vein across the word.

The market for >$50 DACs is not worth more than $1billion. I would be surprised to hear of any DAC chip used in the pro audio market costing >$5.

(NB what I said probably does not necessarily apply to older DACs inferior to todays - and to the equipment used in the tests I cited.)

Jan 25, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #26 of 31
Jan 25, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

The market for >$50 DACs is not worth more than $1billion. I would be surprised to hear of any DAC chip used in the pro audio market costing >$5.

(NB what I said probably does not necessarily apply to older DACs inferior to todays - and to the equipment used in the tests I cited.)

Why are you suddenly limiting it to $50? It's not simply about the DAC chip.

RnD + prototypes + manufacture + shipping + retail markup = Billions.

Critical thinking. I love thee.

Jan 25, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #28 of 31
Probably the whole dac market is worth billions over time, mostly cheap integrated headphone outputs for devices. It's not an important point but I think the audiophile industry is not a multi-billion dollar industry. However large it is, it is certainly full of people who waste a lot of money.

Jan 25, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Yes this is a fact based on properly conducted tests gauging the limits of audibility.

"Audibility of a CD-Standard A/D/A Loop Inserted into High-Resolution Audio Playback". E. Brad Meyer and David R. Moran. JAES 55(9) September 2007.

Abstract:
Claims both published and anecdotal are regularly made for audibly superior sound quality for two-channel audio encoded with longer word lengths and/or at higher sampling rates than the 16-bit/44.1-kHz CD standard. The authors report on a series of double-blind tests comparing the analog output of high-resolution players playing high-resolution recordings with the same signal passed through a 16-bit/44.1-kHz "bottleneck." The tests were conducted for over a year using different systems and a variety of subjects. The systems included expensive professional monitors and one high-end system with electrostatic loudspeakers and expensive components and cables. The subjects included professional recording engineers, students in a university recording program, and dedicated audiophiles. The test results show that the CD-quality A/D/A loop was undetectable at normal-to-loud listening levels, by any of the subjects, on any of the playback systems. The noise of the CD-quality loop was audible only at very elevated levels.

Your PROOF
confused_face(1).gif
by citing this Paper is not convincing and does not help your claim one bit. This test is not about DAC differences between high quality and cheap DACs since most of the players were decent and midfi in quality and included a Yamaha DVD player, a Pioneer CD player and a HHB Digital recorder player. The loop test was made with the HHB, which is not well known for using highly resolving converters. And the test were run to determine the audibility of higher resolution formats NOT DAC quality. The results can hardly infer that DAC quality is not audible, merely that the last significant bits of a higher resolution format are not audible at normal listening levels by pedestrian listeners.

I can guarantee you if you threw lots of audiophiles in a room to listen to music on a system they never heard with music with which they were not familiar testing only the last few bits of resolution the outcome would be similar to that expressed in the test you reference. This is not about hearing differences between a decent cheap DAC like that found on a good CD player and a more expensive standalone DAC.

These tests reminds me of tests on witnesses seeing simulated crime films where they are told to watch the films then describe what the criminal was wearing. The results are laughable. The descriptions are all over the map, yet each viewer saw all the facts. But train them on what to look for and the results change.

Listening for differences takes experience. Harmon International is just now figuring that out and is using events to educate people on what to listen for. A more educated listener is able to pick out things by preference that just so happen to line up with higher accuracy in their tests. The conspiracy theorists will now come in and make their statement about how Harmon is only doing this to sell more high end stuff. Well, duh! Yes, 20 or so people at a time will certainly shoot sales through the roof. But if they can educate some folks on what music might sound like on a good system vs the boom tiss of some Bose minicubes as it relates to getting us closer to the illusion of real live music, then this is perhaps a good thing.

I'll get off of my soapbox now as I have no further desire to debate our differences nor to look at half a..ed tests that have nothing to do with proving your claim. I agree to disagree.

cheers

EDIT PS: Some anecdotal info about the test from some forums where the folks actually read the whole test and not the abstract.
"Though our tests failed to substantiate the claimed advantages
of high-resolution encoding for two-channel audio,
one trend became obvious very quickly and held up
throughout our testing: virtually all of the SACD and
DVD-A recordings sounded better than most CDs—
sometimes much better. Had we not “degraded” the sound
to CD quality and blind-tested for audible differences, we
would have been tempted to ascribe this sonic superiority
to the recording processes used to make them."

They were trying to show that 16/44.1 is a sufficient bit depth and sampling rate and that even using high resolution masters it would not degrade the sound.

From the block diagram they are going A/D/A so using a high-res SACD/DVD-A as the 'master' and then converting it to analog, resampling the analog signal at 16/44.1 on the fly, then converting back to analog for playback resulted in no discernable difference from an original CD of the same material that was sampled at 16/44.1.

if you read carefully they are trying to 'prove' that 16/44.1 is sufficient to fully capture the original analog signal. In their test they do that by taking a high-res master that was captured at a higher bit depth/sampling rate and then resample it at 16/44.1 under the theory that if the original high bit depth/sampling rate were truly superior, resampling that signal at a lower bit depth/sampling rate would clearly show differences. It did not.

They do however add the caveat that an original analog signal sampled at a higher bit rate/sampling frequency could very well sound better when played back at the same bit depth/sampling frequency.

I think the intent was to show that 16/44.1 is sufficient to fully capture the original original analog recording and their tests show that even if the original was sampled at a higher rate, it adds nothing if that original is converted to analog and then resampled at 16/44.1. In other words, they believe 16/44.1 is sufficient to fully capture the original analog signal.

Jan 25, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #30 of 31
Hi; you are right that they they were attempting (with considerable success) to show that:
1. high-res source, and
2. high-res source->16/44 ADC->16/44 DAC
are audibly equivalent.

It follows that
1. digital source (arbitrary depth)->perfect conversion to analog
is equivalent to
4. digital source->perfect conversion to analog->16/44 ADC->16/44 DAC
Presumably conversion to and from analog doesn't improve things so this is weakly better to 4 but weakly worse than 1 and so equivalent:
3. digital source->16/44 DAC
This is using their 16/44 DAC which as you have noted is not the best... that just strengthens their argument.
Modern 24/96 DACs are better than old average 16/44 DACs (with hugely better measurements as you might expect) so
2. digital source->modern 24/96 DAC
Is weakly better than 3 and so audibly equivalent to 1.

I've ordered them so that theoretically quality goes from 1 (best) to 4(worst) but 4 sounds like 1 (the paper shows) so 2 certainly should.

Re: the testing methods. Perhaps they were not using ideal conditions (although they made a good attempt) or worst-case audio samples (not sure about this). I can imagine some that in theory would be quite testing on 16/44, e.g. massive dynamic range over a long span. However moving from 16/44 to 24/96 gives a lot of leeway.

Even then I have not heard that anyone has demonstrated any difference between any relatively modern DACs under any conditions using any sample.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back