My MicroDAC clips my Total Bithead
Jun 2, 2008 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

trains are bad

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a Total Bithead, one of the old ones without the gain switch. I also have a MicroDAC, both purchased used several years ago.

I just now tried to run the Total Bithead using the analog output from the microDAC. The red clipping light blinks often even with the volume control barely cracked.

Now I know the microDAC has a really healthy output level based on the relative volume level I get with it compared to other sources. Could it be the Total Bithead is not compatible with the high input levels the microDAC puts out?

To find out I played a 500Hz tone at -0dB and the multimeter showed 150mV out of the Total Bithead. The RCAs from my Technics surround processor with no attenuation (volume at -0) are 123mV. So this isn't a large difference. Also the Total Bithead running off the analog output from the Technics does not clip! I can turn the volume slider up quite high before getting any blinkage. Whereas the MicroDAC causes the blinkage with the volume barely cracked, at much much lower volumes.

I'm quite confused.

Jun 2, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #4 of 16
It's a long shot, but I suspect that the DAC is oscillating outside the audio spectrum. The only way that I know of to check that is by using a scope to look at the analog output waveform.
If it is oscillating, don't connect it to your amp for playing through your speakers!!! It would take out your tweeters.

Jun 2, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #5 of 16
Vairy odd, it sound like a broeked MicroDAC.

...btw, trains is good. Especially the song of that name by Porcupine Tree.

Jun 2, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #7 of 16
If the reason the amp clips with with microdac and not my other dac is due to the microdac's line out being higher ( which it's not that much higher-15%or so) then I would think that it would just cause the amp to start clipping at slightly lower volume settings, since the input would be slightly higher. But it doesn't do that, it clips at any volume level besides 0, I mean as soon as you turn the volume up from zero, it starts blinking.

And if the amp is oscillating, then why does it do it with the microdac and not with my other sources? As far as I can tell, the microdac is functional. It sounds fine plugged into my tube amp, and it sounded fine when it was hooked up to my speakers.

edit: someone suggested that the DAC is oscillating. In that case, it could sound fine when hooked up to my other amps, because the clipping could be below audible, but still enough to blink the Bithead's light.

Jun 2, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #8 of 16
My Total Airhead clipped just like that when I connected it to my line out on my DVD player, but not when I connected it to an older Denon CD player I have. I noticed that the VD has significantly higher output levels in comparison, so your DAC may just be to "hot".

Jun 2, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
edit: someone suggested that the DAC is oscillating. In that case, it could sound fine when hooked up to my other amps, because the clipping could be below audible, but still enough to blink the Bithead's light.

I suggested that, but what would I know about the ins and outs of DACs other than that I have fixed them for a living and modded a couple as well. But seriously though, you need to find someone with a scope to check out the output signal. You can do it with some of the digital multimeters by putting the meter onto the AC 2 Volts setting, stick the metal part of black meter lead on the outside of the RCA socket, and the metal part of the red lead on the inside of the analog out RCA socket. Now turn the volume up and see if the meter starts indicating the presence of a AC voltage that is at least 1V or more with even just a slight turn of the DAC volume control. If it does, then the DAC needs some repair atention.

Jun 2, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #10 of 16
might want to post this in the headroom forum so Jorge or Tyll can answer.

Jun 2, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #12 of 16
Jun 2, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #14 of 16
PM Tyll, he is a nice chap and will answer a headroom query.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back