My Massive 100% Classical 100% FLAC library 716GB
Apr 1, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #16 of 25
Since you have a s-load of Classical, and also are a Musicbee user, how do you tag your files?

There's always been a long running discussion on the MB forums about the best way to tag Classical. Nobody has really seemed to come up with a definitive methodology. The one case where I really run into problems is how to organize albums that have multiple composers. For "pop" music I'll just use "various artists", but I do like having my Classical sorted by composer

Apr 2, 2021 at 4:18 AM Post #17 of 25
Since you have a s-load of Classical, and also are a Musicbee user, how do you tag your files?

There's always been a long running discussion on the MB forums about the best way to tag Classical. Nobody has really seemed to come up with a definitive methodology. The one case where I really run into problems is how to organize albums that have multiple composers. For "pop" music I'll just use "various artists", but I do like having my Classical sorted by composer
For various composer albums either i do
A) vomposer tag “various composers” and in each track in parentheses after the work, name pf the composer
B) each track composer tag gets his composer

i am no longer a Music bee user, switched to sony media go due to easy Hi-res content filtering

Apr 2, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #18 of 25
How do i tag my music? I use MP3TAG works like a boss with batch editions. That is tagging multiple albums at the same time like on Monday getring the marin Marais pieces de violes from Ricercar (13 albums)

basic tags i have
Title (track name)
Artist (can contain multiple names separated by comma)
Album (dor CD or 24-bit i use CD # / vol. #. For SACD rips i use SACD #)
Release year
Track
Genre (i use periods rather than the generic term “classical”)
Disc number
Disc total
Track total
Cover pic embedded

for DSD as it uses IDV3 rather than flac tags i don’t use track total nor disc total . Rarthwrmi use like this. On track and disc number tags current disc “/“ disc total and current track “/“ track total.

Folder structure. Here i have a main folder called music and under this goes a folder for each composer and unser each subfolder fo the albums in their folder. If an album has for the xample 5 CD, i create 5 folders album name CD 1 ... album name CD 5

my purchase preferences
1. DSD / SACD
2. Hi-res > 24/44.1
3. Hi-res in 24-bit 44.1kHz
4. 16/44.1 FLAC
5. Physical CD

backup strategy Manual copy to three 4TB external drives (all three have same info aka mirrored)

Jul 1, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #19 of 25
Total size: 1.42TB
Total Tracks: 61, 323
Total Albums: 3, 494

CD-Quality Albums (16/44.1kHz or 48kHz): 3, 148 (90.10%)
Hi-Res Albums (14/44.1kHz - 384kHz & DSD): 346 (9.90%)

Jul 2, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #20 of 25

That's also exercised me for some time. While modern music gets fine-grained tagging, just about everything else that would be classified as classical music is labelled, er, Classical, which seems inept and clueless.

I don't have a definitive set of classifications, but I do replace the tags that come with albums with Medieval, Renaissance, Baroque and Classical (i.e., Mozart, Haydn and that crowd) and then add some detail such as Medieval > vocal (although I've previously used tags such as Medieval > religious) or Baroque > violin sonata and so on. I don't tend to get too fiddly where an album has a mix of things (e.g. sonatas and concertos; works for various instruments --> Baroque > instrumental) unless it contains vocal and instrumental music (e.g. Biber's Sacro-profanum) when I would tag the two types differently.

Anyway, my own music collection only weighs in at a svelte 316Gb, 847 albums, most of which are CD-quality FLAC.

Jul 9, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #21 of 25
IDK the exact amount, but most of my music is in SACD format, so DSD64. Many claim that DSD64 has a lot of noise in the higher frequencies but I never has a proble.

Baroque > Romantic > Classical

Also, Am I the only one who puts the composer's name in the Artist and Album Artist tags (and put the conductor in the Performer tag)?

Jul 9, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #22 of 25
IDK the exact amount, but most of my music is in SACD format, so DSD64. Many claim that DSD64 has a lot of noise in the higher frequencies but I never has a proble.

Baroque > Romantic > Classical

Also, Am I the only one who puts the composer's name in the Artist and Album Artist tags (and put the conductor in the Performer tag)?
I used to do that artist composer qhen i has mp3. But since switching to loasless i ve corrected my vice lol

Jul 10, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #24 of 25
I have FLAC and DSD (and a tiny amount of MP3 and Wavpack). I put the composer in Artist because it's a lot easier for me to sort (I sort by Genre and Album). I don't know if it's right or wrong.
I use the Composer tag. My sony walkman can list composers however other mp3 players dont have composer view so its okay to do so

Dec 31, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #25 of 25
End-of year update

Total size: 1.46TB
Total Tracks: 62, 643
Total Albums: 3, 547

CD-Quality Albums (16/44.1kHz or 48kHz): 3, 173 -891GB (89.45%)
Hi-Res Albums (24/44.1kHz - 384kHz & DSD): 374 -600GB (10.54%)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back