My Little Pony Discussion thread
Apr 9, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #406 of 779
Quote:
But like I've had to say a few times now: keep calm and trust the writers.

I trust Amy anyway....

If Dave could just... ya know... leave... I'd be ok with that....

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #407 of 779
Quote:

I trust Amy anyway....

If Dave could just... ya know... leave... I'd be ok with that....

I don't really know the different writers that well, so I tend to lump them all together.

In other news: I picked up a Build-a-Bear Rainbow Dash, and it was pretty much what I expected: low-quality loose mane, one sided cutie mark and strange sparkly wings. But on the upside it's quite large, super soft and quite show-accurate compared to some official merchandise. I imagine that Pinkie Pie would make a great headphone stand (RD's wing are in the way and my M50s don't stay on her head).

Apr 9, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #408 of 779
I don't really know the different writers that well, so I tend to lump them all together.

Dave notoriously likes to write episodes around slapstick humor. Think about "Feeling Pinkie Keen," "Too Many Pinkie Pies," "Games Ponies Play," and "Spike at Your Service." All episodes written by Dave, who seems to have a thing for making my favorite pony (Pinkie) into a laughingstock....

And then there's Amy, who is my favorite writer on MLP, and can write for Pinkie brilliantly. She was sadly gone for Season 3, which is the basis for why I think that season felt different....

Thankfully she's back for Season 4 <3

Apr 9, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #409 of 779
Quote:
Dave notoriously likes to write episodes around slapstick humor. Think about "Feeling Pinkie Keen," "Too Many Pinkie Pies," "Games Ponies Play," and "Spike at Your Service." All episodes written by Dave, who seems to have a thing for making my favorite pony (Pinkie) into a laughingstock....

And then there's Amy, who is my favorite writer on MLP, and can write for Pinkie brilliantly. She was sadly gone for Season 3, which is the basis for why I think that season felt different....

Thankfully she's back for Season 4 <3

I knew there was something different about season 3.

I'll have to disagree with you about "To Many Pinkie Pies" though, I thought it was a brilliant Pinkie Pie episode. At least in parts. Okay Pinkie's motivation was kind of lame and out of character, and the clones all having selective amnesia or something was kind of weird, not to mention their wanton destruction of half the town being also out of character for Pinkie Pie and the bit with her slowly sliding into the water or swimming through the beach was a bit over the top. So maybe it wasn't that great of an episode after all and they turned her into a bit of a caricature, but I liked the part where she got all sad after making everyone else unhappy. Right there with you on those other ones, though: sub-par the lot of them.

Apr 10, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #412 of 779
Quote:
How are the songs done in Japanese? Are they the same tune? I imagine the lyrics would be roughly the same, right?

So far same tune, yup. The lyrics are generally the same, but adapted for Japanese, especially for the flow of the language which is wildly different from English. They did a great job though, at least with Giggle at the Ghosties.

I'm really most curious about Art of the Dress. 

Apr 10, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #413 of 779
Quote:

So far same tune, yup. The lyrics are generally the same, but adapted for Japanese, especially for the flow of the language which is wildly different from English. They did a great job though, at least with Giggle at the Ghosties.

I'm really most curious about Art of the Dress. 

That's pretty cool. Art of the Dress would be pretty hard to translate into Japanese I'd imagine, what with three syllable lines throughout. 

Does anyone know if MLP has been/will be released on blu-ray? All I've been able to find is an announcement of the season one Blu-ray linking to the DVD on Amazon. 

Apr 10, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #414 of 779
Quote:
I'll have to disagree with you about "To Many Pinkie Pies" though, I thought it was a brilliant Pinkie Pie episode.

It's not that I think "Too Many Pinkie Pies" was a horrible episode. Honestly, there really isn't an episode of MLP that I haven't enjoyed watching in at least one respect, which is pretty admirable. But the way Polsky seems to handle Pinkie (and other characters) is, again, straight-up slapstick. He tries to make Pinkie funny, and that's about it. But there is sooooooo much more to Pinkie than he portrays. She's considerate, competent, compassionate, responsible, kindhearted, and most of all, she does everything she can to make her friends happy.

Now, am I against slapstick altogether? No, not at all, but it needs to be done right. Take "Baby Cakes" for example. Lots of slapstick, specifically with how Pinkie loses control of the kids and all the antics that go along with that throughout the episode. But amidst all of the craziness, we get to see some sides of Pinkie we've never seen before. We get to see her be slightly resentful when the Cakes have to "resort" to asking Pinkie to babysit after having asked the other Mane 5 first. We get to see her stand up for herself when she slams the door in Twilight's face after she implies Pinkie is irresponsible (I stood up and applauded). We get to see her completely relatable response to pure frustration by means of crying. All of this, without her feeling out of character, and with the slapstick.

And then there's episodes like "Too Many Pinkie Pies".... Honestly, I don't want to hate on Dave, but he needs to give me a reason not to.

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #415 of 779
Quote:

It's not that I think "Too Many Pinkie Pies" was a horrible episode...

Well put 
smile.gif
. Though I have to say, those creepy looking babies do detract from my enjoyment of "Babycakes". 

In other news, I just registered for BronyCAN. Here's hoping it's good.

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #416 of 779
Quote:
Though I have to say, those creepy looking babies do detract from my enjoyment of "Babycakes". 

Psh, whatever, I think they're adorable XD

Apr 19, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #418 of 779
Wow guys... What happened? This thread hasn't had posts for a while and I thought that that was a little unusual so here: 
What do you guys think about Tombstone's new remix album? Most of the songs are a bit meh for me but the Nightmare night remix was pretty good. Still, I prefer his older work

Apr 19, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #419 of 779
Quote:Soundpon3
Wow guys... What happened? This thread hasn't had posts for a while and I thought that that was a little unusual so here:

Could we keep it that way?
Someone left the barn door open and the pronies have bolted.
No-one seems to care enough to round them up again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back