My Little Pony Discussion thread
Mar 31, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #376 of 779
And it got an emotional response. Out of me and everyone else I've talked to that has seen the episode. And it deserved it in my opinion. Snowdrop was a simple story, told well, that pulled at my heartstrings. I don't see how it panders the viewer in any way.

And then Double Rainboom comes along and thinks it's a good idea to use Internet memes and references to support its slapstick humor.

It's like Polsky wrote the episode.

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #377 of 779
Quote:
And it got an emotional response. Out of me and everyone else I've talked to that has seen the episode. And it deserved it in my opinion. Snowdrop was a simple story, told well, that pulled at my heartstrings. I don't see how it panders the viewer in any way.

And then Double Rainboom comes along and thinks it's a good idea to use Internet memes and references to support its slapstick humor.

It's like Polsky wrote the episode.

I couldn't disagree more. It was horribly told. It failed at every basic aspect of writing a story, let alone a supposed fanmade FiM story. The kids, collectively, shunned her because she was blind. Not only that, but they hyper focused on her blindness, basically reminding you every two seconds that this character is indeed blind and she should be pitied. (In essence defining her by her disability) Then you have her being the pure angelic character who sees the brightness when others see darkness schitck. Then when they weren't focusing on her disability, they focused on her isolation which was a result of ponies shunning her because of blindness (something EXTREMELY unpony-like). The goal was basically to tug at your heartstrings and not much else. The story was basically that. "Here is this character who is blind who changed winter because of her purity." That's it. There was no build up, no climax, because they told you everything from the start essentially. There was no development. This was a bad fanfic, animated really well, with a Special Snowflake OC. 

Double Rainboom on the otherhand, which I enjoyed more because it didn't insult me by trying to force an emotional response, angered me in a completely different way of being too fanficcy. With the blatant references (which if removed through the magic of editing REALLY improves it), and the skewed personalities of characters used, just felt on the whole off. However it was at least at it's core entertaining. Something which Snowflake Snowdrop, completely failed to do because it focused so much on the emotional pandering and not enough on the story.

Double Rainboom blew Snowdrop out of the water. They were both bad, but at least Double Rainboom entertained me to at least some degree.

They are both overly vaulted. Double Rainboom probably would get a C from me, while Raindrop an E for effort.  

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #378 of 779
Head-Fi: Sorry about your fanfiction

If you ask me, the whole point of Double Rainboom was to create an episode in a way that the fans would have envisioned mlp, and I think the episode has done that.

Apr 1, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #379 of 779
I think both snowdrop and Double rainboom were good. Snowdrop was alright but the story was kinda wierd but the animation and voice acting was pretty spot on. Almost the same could be said for double rainboom. Animation was spot on and most of it was good but the PPG crossover was wierd but it did make me laugh a bit. The voice acting was alright but if I was making it, I would have picked someone else

Apr 1, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #380 of 779
Clearly I'm more critical than bronies are...

Apr 1, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #381 of 779
Quote:
Clearly I'm more critical than bronies are...

Maybe....

Here's a song:
Cool for sound stage and plenty of bass
(Lossless download through bandcamp, too)

Apr 1, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #383 of 779
Quote:
I couldn't disagree more....

And that's fine. I get where you're coming from now.... The story was incredibly simple. It was basically a big opening scene, a tragic classroom scene, a longer introspective scene, and a grand, tear-jerking conclusion. There wasn't much to it, and I don't think they wanted there to be. If you were looking for something more, sure, I can see how you could hate it. And while I personally wasn't distracted by the way the kids treated Snowdrop, if you were, you probably felt emotionally manipulated by that and other aspects of the story. I can see that now....

I personally wasn't, and neither were the others I've talked to about it. But to each their own.

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #384 of 779
Apr 4, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #386 of 779
Watching MLP in Japanese is truly glorious.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD7vE8PUcQs[/VIDEO]

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm80trGYgdg[/VIDEO]

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #390 of 779

Quote:
Off topic, but has anyone heard anything about the new Build-a-Bear ponies? All I can find are press announcements and the "official" pictures, not actual feedback.

Heard about it, saw some pictures but not much more than that.... I dunno, I feel about it the same way I feel about most Pony merch: I'd be interested if it actually looked like the characters, but most of it just doesn't....

Now this.... This I would buy:

And I have not yet come to terms with how much I would be willing to spend to get it either.... *sigh*

Watching MLP in Japanese is truly glorious.

I really liked how they did Spike's voice

I'm pretty impressed with the Japanese dub. Some voices threw me off (particularly AJ's), but most of the voices were really good, including Spike's.

In terms of the whole experience of watching an entire episode dubbed in Japanese.... First of all, the opening and closing themes don't do much for me. I'm sorry, I'm just not a fan.... The only other thing would be the English subs, at least from the source I watched it from, had a weird script... I personally would have been more happy with subtitles of the original English script with the Japanese audio. That would be great.... But it's not bad the way it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back