my little pony appreciation thread
Feb 16, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #1,381 of 1,413
Oh, I thought the grey one was partaking in the greenish-blue one's derriere.

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #1,383 of 1,413
I'm not going to go in depth on this debate... But on the topic of anime...

I hate most Shonen anime/manga. There are a few exceptions. They all for the most part very formulaic for the action shonen genre, and the characters are hardly truly dynamic. The changes in the characters happen sporadically, and some don't change at all. Most Shonen that I have liked in the past were either character-centric (Baccano) (in other words the story was told from the character's perspective) or were comedy (Hayate) or told interesting engaging stories (Mononoke). 

Now Seinen on the other hand... That is usually fantastic, especially the works of Naoki Urasawa. The man can write character like none other. Granted there is no comedy, but that is not why I read his work. 

I also have to say... the animation in Japanese Anime... is 95% horrible. That is not to say the pictures aren't pretty, but... that is what they are... pictures. Watch all those Shonen anime, and take note of what is happening when they aren't fighting. Yeah... not much movement, if anything at all (it is very common for the speaking character to be facing away from the viewer so they don't have to animate the mouth moving). Rarely do they have any dynamic backgrounds. There are a few exceptions in series. The most notable is The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, something was always happening, it was very dynamic with fantastic production values. That is part of why I like MLP... There is never a dull frame, and the background is always moving. In fact, I dare say that the production values of Western Animation is consistently higher than Japanese Animation.

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #1,384 of 1,413
Quote:
In fact, I dare say that the production values of Western Animation is consistently higher than Japanese Animation.

I'd agree, though of course in my wanna-be otaku days I would have adamantly refused to believe that. Even some of the great examples of Japanese animation, like stuff Studio Ghibli puts out, is no better and arguably worse than classic Disney stuff. Western animation for television is usually much more dynamic, in part because the animation itself is often much more dramatic and cartoony (Japanese animation sticks to fairly static (but arguably more realistic) facial expressions and body language except during comedy and action, whereas Western animation embraces the lack of realism in the cartoon medium more fully).

One guy on Ponychan does a screen capture and dump session every new episode, and regularly gets between 150 and 200 interesting screen shots (facial expressions, etc). That's something interesting happening on average every 6-9 seconds. If you just randomly captured 150 screen shots of an MLP episode and any given anime episode, I'd expect a lot more of the anime screenshots would look similar or the same.

In fact I expect some of the praise for MLP's animation comes from old otaku, or fans of anime.

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #1,386 of 1,413
Quote:

I really don't like the Eleventh Doctor.

Me neither. Luckily 95% of the time Doctor Whooves is portrayed as the 10th, since he looks a bit like David Tennant.

He had an intentional reference in Season 2 Episode 15, albeit a small one. He appeared with a tie and kicked over an hourglass to start a competition. The animators admitted they added the tie on purpose. One of the upcoming episodes (S2 E20) is apparently going to feature time travel, and I fully expect Whooves to make an appearance.

Feb 16, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #1,388 of 1,413
Ok that's just sick and inappropriate and quite possibly turning me on.

don't lie to yourself. you're secretly a furry within and you know it.

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #1,390 of 1,413

Quote:
tl;dr

rainbow_dash_shrug_by_dropletx1-d3j6g5i.png

Pretty much this. About the predictable nature thing though, aren't the mane 6 kind of established from the elements of harmony? Yes, I know they go beyond that and that's why I like them, but they are meant to be a certain way.

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #1,391 of 1,413
Feb 17, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #1,392 of 1,413
Quote:
Pretty much this. About the predictable nature thing though, aren't the mane 6 kind of established from the elements of harmony? Yes, I know they go beyond that and that's why I like them, but they are meant to be a certain way.

Yep. Like I said, they have strong personality traits and are archetypal of certain tropes themselves. The writers are able to twist that around in interesting ways, though. They may represent elements of harmony, but they sometimes go against their own element or are otherwise confronted with the antithesis of their element. Normally this would look like inconsistent writing, but the way they struggle with it and learn from it makes it the opposite.
  1. Pinkie Pie succumbing to a bout of depression when she feels her laughter isn't appreciated
  2. Applejack clearly pained when lying to Pinkie to keep her surprise party a secret
  3. Rarity selfishly putting her career before her friends until confronted
  4. Rainbow Dash abandoned by all the pets she deems worthy, only to be rescued by a loyal tortoise
  5. Fluttershy forcing herself into the spotlight because she can't speak up against it
  6. Twilight Sparkle too worried about showing off her talents to help her friends with a bully

There's plenty of other examples, these are just good ones. In the end their elements always do them good, but that doesn't mean they don't struggle with or against them at times. That's a sign of good character writing in my opinion. Having a set personality, but one that is malleable enough to adapt and react.

I should have been asleep five half an hour ago.

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #1,393 of 1,413
Ponies may have invaded Head-Fi but lets not invade it with furries :ph34r:

why? some furries are really cool people with some pretty cool art work. your probably thinking of other things about the fandom(like the....well....you know). they're just misunderstood. some stuff they do is pretty cool. i like the one link(wolf form) custom someone did. it was really well done and cool looking...well i'm done for now railing off the subject here. sorry. gonna watch a movie now.

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #1,394 of 1,413

Quote:
why? some furries are really cool people with some pretty cool art work. your probably thinking of other things about the fandom(like the....well....you know). they're just misunderstood. some stuff they do is pretty cool. i like the one link(wolf form) custom someone did. it was really well done and cool looking...well i'm done for now railing off the subject here. sorry. gonna watch a movie now.

Everyone has the right to their own interests and niches, so I neither hate nor like furries. I just think it's taboo for most people, more so than ponies. And I'm not just talking about that aspect of the fandom, I think most people find it disturbing. I personally couldn't care less. To each their own.

Feb 17, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #1,395 of 1,413
There is a costume party tonight. Still can't believe I agreed to go as Derpy. I'm going to be wearing a grey shirt with some grey fairy wings, with my hair sprayed blonde and holding some muffins. I don't think I'll look like derpy at all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back