my little pony appreciation thread
Jan 22, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #1,262 of 1,413

Quote:
Damn it, just when I thought there was a place on the internet that wasn't infested with this rubbish...

Congratulations on being a hater. Please refrain from commenting if you loathe it so much. In the time it took you to come in here, look at it, and comment, you could have been off doing better things with your time. 

I never understand why people do that, take time to complain about things they hate when it is merely the harmless opinion or interest of another. It is both a waste of time and effort on their part, and I for one believe time is a very precious commodity, not to be wasted frivolously on endeavors that serve no purpose or end.

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #1,263 of 1,413
Quote:
I never understand why people do that, take time to complain about things they hate when it is merely the harmless opinion or interest of another. It is both a waste of time and effort on their part, and I for one believe time is a very precious commodity, not to be wasted frivolously on endeavors that serve no purpose or end.

Because they want you to react the way you did. For all we know he has a perfectly valid reason for not liking the show. And if he doesn't, we get to make fun of him and his insecurities. That's why it's always better to be patient with them, they're bound to slip up 
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #1,264 of 1,413

Quote:
Because they want you to react the way you did. For all we know he has a perfectly valid reason for not liking the show. And if he doesn't, we get to make fun of him and his insecurities. That's why it's always better to be patient with them, they're bound to slip up 
biggrin.gif

What I mean is, no matter how others react, what do they gain from garnering those reaction if anything at all? I don't see the point of it all. Why waste your time trying to annoy people or attack people or their interests or what they like (unless it is inherently wrong or against your morals)? It is a waste of time, and there are surely better ways to spend it than doing things like that. Do they get some shallow amusement from annoying people or what? I understand trolls that try to be funny when they troll, but trolls whose only goal is to annoy others is pointless, because it has no real impact and nothing is gained or lost in the exchange except time and effort (and in some cases dignity).  

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #1,265 of 1,413
The motive of the troll is complex and variable. There's plenty of reasons they do what they do. I'll frame them in core social motives, since I learned those last semester 
wink.gif
:

1. Negative attention is still attention, and they're starved for it. +1 to self-enhancement when peoples' eyes are on them.
  2. By alienating themselves from some group, they create a distinct ingroup and outgroup (even if that ingroup is only one person, themselves). That gives them some sense of belonging.
  3. If they're able to provoke a group, they get the impression that their opinion of the group is valid. Bonus to a sense of understanding.
  4. By trolling, they provoke predictable anti-troll behavior from the group, and can trust the group to act that way
  5. When the opponent is angered, they feel they're in control of the situation, and can direct that anger in different ways

Interestingly, the anti-troll tactics of bronies on 4chan in the time leading up to the pony ban seem to counter all of these. Probably why it was so effective.

P.S. I made all that up just now. Sounds pretty convincing though, huh? 
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #1,267 of 1,413
My criticism isn't guided at the show.
I saw part of an episode and it just seemed to be an average children's TV show.
My criticism is aimed at the teenage and older audiences who watch it.
What is so special about this show, and furthermore, When are you ever going to grow up?

Jan 22, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #1,268 of 1,413
Quote:
I saw part of an episode and it just seemed to be an average children's TV show.
What is so special about this show, and furthermore, When are you ever going to grow up?

I'm not a fan of the show, but I find this attitude offensive. There is nothing immature about enjoying shows which are designed for younger audiences; things which are actually immature are things which could have a profound negative impact on your life after you're responsible for taking care of yourself - watching, or even being a fan of, a show is not such a trait.

Jan 22, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #1,270 of 1,413

Quote:

So you don't know what's so special about the show and you criticize people for watching it ? 

Jan 22, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #1,271 of 1,413
i watched the ep last night and thought it was amazing. kinda predicted the end though since it was clearly obvious why applejack didn't want to come back if you understand her prideful hardworking personality. i did not expect that much show time though for derpy lol. it felt right i have to admit and was funny seeing her. pinky pie thing when she freaks out with the head thing was kinda weird but funny at same time. i have to say though this season, episodes keep getting better and better. hope they keep up the good flow!

for the whole why adults watching it. people are just insecure with themselves and feel they have to prove something to the mainstream society. people had no issues with adults watching Blues Clues(steve was awesome! i wish i was able to draw like him) or the powerpuff girls, or even orther shows like Dora the explorer, so i don't see why people have issues with MLP:FIM, but i guess cause of the popularity your gonna attract more haters of course. growing up has nothing to do what you watch. it has to do how you handle yourself with other people and yourself. other people telling someone to grow up clearly needs to take their own advice and listen to themselves cause clearly they're the one that needs to learn to grow up and learn to be capable of handling other's respected opinions.

Jan 22, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #1,272 of 1,413
Quote:

You saw part of an episode and feel you can judge the whole series? How would you feel if I did the same to something you enjoy? What if I took your favorite album or something, listened to one of the samples on Amazon, and declared it "average"?

Which episode and which part, by the way? All of the episodes are good (well, except Owl's Well that Ends Well), but some are better indicators of what makes the show special. If you'll look back to my recent large post, you'll also learn that the show requires dedicated watching to really shine, and you can never judge it on a single episode. I can direct you toward a good starting point if you want to try to reevaluate it. I'd recommend at least one whole episode, preferably two. I would never judge an entire show on one episode (or part of an episode), just like I would never judge a whole album by one song.

You should also take a look at my recent posts to see exactly what's special about the show. I don't need to type it all out again for you.

Anyone familiar with the, erm, "political candidate" Vermin Supreme? In what I guess you could call his latest campaign if you were extremely high, he makes a direct shoutout to bronies. An interview clip was on EQD a while back because he promised a pony for every American. Apparently he's aware.

And related to the latest episode, several people already made chimicherrychangas!

Jan 22, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #1,273 of 1,413

Quote:

Funny you should say that. I reacted the same exact way about 8 months ago when I caught a clip on the Hub by chance. And then a friend of mine, whom I trust when it comes to shows got into it, mentioned Lauren Faust's name... and so I gave it another go watching the season 1 first 5 episodes. By the end of the 4th episode I was hooked. And when I thought of the implications of the first two episodes, its pretty interesting, considering the creators were willing to have the possible negative outcome of the first two episodes be the APOCALYPSE of the world. Eternal night = apocalypse, no sun = no life. 

So there is nothing really immature about it. I mean plenty of kids shows have writing for adult audiences, its nothing new. I mean do you really think the target demographic would get Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy references? I Love Lucy references? Famous persona references from the 80s and earlier? Not really... There is also sophisticated writing, certainly more sophisticated than Jersey Shore (and that is an understatement), which seems to be A-OK for people to like watch and be entertained by, despite it being mindless tripe. 

You can watch several online reviewers and read reviews from professional reviewers on why the show is good. 

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/cr/ff/32594-episode-58-my-little-pony-retrospective-g4

That I have to say would have convinced me to watch it, had I found it before becoming a fan...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Little_Pony:_Friendship_Is_Magic#Critical_reception

And he isn't alone as other reviewers have reviewed it favorably, and they are considered professional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back