My Little Dot II + just died...
Apr 24, 2007 at 9:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Dept_of_Alchemy

Headphoneus Supremus
Bad news. So when I turned on my beloved LDII+ tonight, the left channel was dead. At first I thought it was the music that was mixed funny (listening to new music), but when I put on some familiar acapella quartet and only a duet came out, I realized that something was definitely wrong. I tried swapping tubes, didn't work. I tried different headphones, didn't work. I tried different DACs, same problem. The left channel was dead. Has anyone had the same problem with the LDII+? I purchased the amp in october 2006 and use it about three hours per day on average. Is something like this covered by the warranty? And who should I contact about that?
frown.gif

Apr 24, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #3 of 15
You might try removing the two bottom screws on the front and the two bottom screws on the back, that will allow the bottom plate to come off and you will be able to see all the guts inside. Look to see if any components have heat damage or if there is any other obvious damage. Not that you should expect any, but some LD2 and LD2++ models have had problems like that so it’s conceivable that a LD2+ might also.

Do the tubes light up, even though you only get sound from one side? Have you tried the pre-outs by chance? Did you experience arcing prior to this?

Apr 24, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bad news. So when I turned on my beloved LDII+ tonight, the left channel was dead. At first I thought it was the music that was mixed funny (listening to new music), but when I put on some familiar acapella quartet and only a duet came out, I realized that something was definitely wrong. I tried swapping tubes, didn't work. I tried different headphones, didn't work. I tried different DACs, same problem. The left channel was dead. Has anyone had the same problem with the LDII+? I purchased the amp in october 2006 and use it has about three hours per day on average. Is something like this covered by the warranty? And who should I contact about that?
frown.gif

It's the same symptom as mine.

You can think of something more exciting... like Darkvoice and enjoy your tube rolling.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 24, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by GotNoRice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do the tubes light up, even though you only get sound from one side? Have you tried the pre-outs by chance? Did you experience arcing prior to this?

My unit does arc occasionally on start-up, both tubes do light up now. I've noticed recently that the amp puts out less hissing when I turn the volume up and no music is playing, I thought of it was a good sign though. I've written David about the problem and I guess I'll just have to wait and see... I have to say I'm a little disappointed at the amp giving out at ~600 hours, I was hoping this little dot could stay with me through college.

Apr 24, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

My unit does arc occasionally on start-up, both tubes do light up now. I've noticed recently that the amp puts out less hissing when I turn the volume up and no music is playing, I thought of it was a good sign though. I've written David about the problem and I guess I'll just have to wait and see... I have to say I'm a little disappointed at the amp giving out at ~600 hours, I was hoping this little dot could stay with me through college.

Did it arc in just one tube or both? 600 hours does seem a bit low. I've had mine since about august of last year and it has seen mostly 24/7 operation, and many 12+ hour days where I simply decided to turn it off at night.

Did you by chance have an opportunity to observe the inside of the unit to see if there was any heat damage, etc?

Apr 24, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #8 of 15
David offered to send me a LDII++ for $60 including shipping. Should I take the deal? What's the word on the LDII++'s reliability these days and how much of a SQ improvement should I expect from the LDII++? I'm feeling a little jibbed right now since for what I originally paid for the LDII+ plus this $60 I could've gotten a Darkvoice or a HeadFive...
rolleyes.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

David offered to send me a LDII++ for $60 including shipping. Should I take the deal? What's the word on the LDII++'s reliability these days and how much of a SQ improvement should I expect from the LDII++? I'm feeling a little jibbed right now since for what I originally paid for the LDII+ plus this $60 I could've gotten a Darkvoice or a HeadFive...
rolleyes.gif

Seems like a good deal. If anything you could take it along with the driver tubes from your LD2+ (toss them in with the ++ as extras) and probably sell it for a pretty good price. There was an issue with resistors overheating but I believe that’s been corrected in the latest version. As far as SQ improvement, that’s a tough one. The LD2+ is a Directly Heated Triode design while the LD2++ is an Indirectly Heated Triode design. That means that they will tend to sound different than really better or worse and which one you’ll like will be more a matter of preference. Having both, I tend to prefer the LD2+. With the LD2++ there is less coloration to the sound, making it sound more like solid state.

Apr 25, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #11 of 15
I'm sorry to hear that. I have the Little Dot 2+ as well and I love it and hope it lasts a good while. I'll be satisfied if it lasts me 2 years.

Personally, I think you should get a refund. The offer that David gave you is not bad and you may be satisfied but in the world of the head-fi way of thinking, i think i would try to get my money back and move on to another amp like the Woo Audio 6, since the reviews are phenomenal.

But that's just me.

Anyway, the Little Dot 2++ would probably be a good choice perhaps but I would ask to audition it first. If not satisfied, you should be able to return it and get your money back or at least maybe another upgrade option. That new Little Dot IV looks fabulous. Maybe you can get that one for a good discount perhaps if you are not satisfied with the Little Dot 2++.

Apr 25, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's the same symptom as mine.

You can think of something more exciting... like Darkvoice and enjoy your tube rolling.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Or just go Solid State and not worry about it.
tongue.gif

Apr 27, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #13 of 15
Does anyone know how to get to the backside of the LDII+'s PCB? I took off the bottom cover to look at the circuits and the larger resistors are discolored and there's solder flux all over the place. I want to replace the resistors myself (with higher wattage ones) and reflow all the joints... if only I could get the darn PCB off.
mad.gif

Apr 28, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the LD2+ was one of my favorite amps I've heard and I'm sorry for your loss of it. But if you can find someway to fix it and you dont want it, PM me
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oh, believe me I'm trying. Nothing else can sound quite like the LD2+'s warm and comforting, directly heated penthode sound. Granted it's not the most authoritative sounding amp I've ever heard, but it just has its own unique beauty. I doubt I'll sell the amp if I do managed to fix it up.

Anyway, if anyone know how to get the PCB off of the LDII+, please send me a PM or post something here. I could really use your help.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back