My little brother and his "terrorist" ideas at school.
Nov 2, 2005 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

apnk

Headphoneus Supremus
This afternoon I got a call from my mom saying that my little brother got in trouble at school. His class were having a "What would you like to do when you grow up?" discussion and he answered "I would like to cause terror." or a terrorist. When my mom told me I was like What, he's 12 years old!? He went to the principal's office and had a talk with him. The principal asked him why he said that and my little brother replied "Because I miss my brother and sister and I play to many video games" and he also said that he was playing around and didn't mean anything. (My sister and I are both are in college 120 miles away)
Now my brother is going to be in "observation" for 10 days and have to meet with the principal daily.

My little brother is not a crazy kid, he's very calm and shy, not a trouble maker. He has many friends also. I don't know why he said something like that? Now my sister and mother are kinda blaming me for what has occured because I play violent video games like Max Payne and Return to Castle Wolfenstein and I let him watch shows like South Park and Family Guy. My mom also told me that he doesn't even play video games durring the week when my sister and I are at school (We come home every weekend btw) and when we do come home he does want to play some games but doesn't play them all day or to long. He rather watch me play games and like I said right now I am playing Max Payne 2 and he likes to watch me play that.

Could it really be my fault? My sister says it because I am always cursing in front of him and playing the video games. My mom told me to tell him what rights and what wrong. Come on now! If someone doesn't not know the difference between "reality" and "non-reality" they must have issues. I hope my brother does not have issues.
frown.gif

My mom is probaly going to yell at him, if it was me I would not but that the way my mom is. Tonight I am going to have a little talk with him over the phone, what should I tell him? Please help me guys, right now I am bummed out, thanks for the help guys.

Nov 2, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 42
I don't see any problem here. His just a kid and wanted to look 'tough' in front of his friends. Btw, causing terror does not mean being a terrorist, he could make a horror movie, or build a horror-themed park.
wink.gif

I'm sure you brother is a shy and insecure 12-yr-old, and don't let your family make a big deal about a small thing like this. That would have far worse affect on his young mind.

Video games have nothing to do with terrorism!

Nov 3, 2005 at 12:00 AM Post #3 of 42
just sounds like he was trying to be funny in class...kids, you know?

Nov 3, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #4 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali
I don't see any problem here. His just a kid and wanted to look 'tough' in front of his friends. Btw, causing terror does not mean being a terrorist, he could make a horror movie, or build a horror-themed park.
wink.gif

I'm sure you brother is a shy and insecure 12-yr-old, and don't let your family make a big deal about a small thing like this. That would have far worse affect on his young mind.

Video games have nothing to do with terrorism!

Well i am not sure if he said he wanted to be a terrorist or cause terror, I spoke briefly with my mom.

Nov 3, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #5 of 42
"Cause terror" could mean alot of things, like becoming the next stephen king!

But yeah, I wouldn't worry about it honestly, it seems like it was probably just a joke/trying to act tough/whatever. It seems like everyone is just being paranoid about it. In fact, the thing he said about videogames almost strikes me as a satire of Jack Thompson and all that stuff....

Nov 3, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #6 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk
Well i am not sure if he said he wanted to be a terrorist or cause terror, I spoke briefly with my mom.

Well, it really doesn't matter, because he doesn't comprehend the meaning of either, anyway. You're not at fault, otherwise most of the teenagers today would be at fault as well. Instead of singling him out for a long period like that, the school should consider increasing awareness for the whole student body of what real terrorism is later on (maybe at age 14 or 15).

Nov 3, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #7 of 42
He was definitely just trying to be funny, and somewhere in between he probably forgot to stop and think about the possible consequences that could ensue. Then again, he is a kid. Kid's often lack this skill in the first place

I've been known to say some offensive things when I get caught up in the moment also. Obviously I never mean these things literally, but they somehow slip out

I would suggest you not take it personally. Still, keep him away from games that are just TOO violent. Wait till he matures a bit

Nov 3, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #8 of 42
This is no big deal. He just wants attention probably. Please be sure the "principal" doesn't blow this out of proportion...I can see that happening here and it would just be worse for the kid. My experience with educators hasn't been great and therefore I do not trust any educators opinion on how a child behaves.

Nov 3, 2005 at 12:25 AM Post #9 of 42
Only "observation". Wow. I would have thought he would have had jail time or at the very least expulsion. You know you just can't be too careful. My former high school has instituted no backpacks, metal detectors for all those who enter and school issued locks for easy searches.

What a difference a decade can make.

Nov 3, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #10 of 42
Ok i got off the phone with and it cleared a bunch of things up. First it was a "What do you want to do before you die" discussion and he said "suicide" as a joke and he went to talk to the counselor not the principal. He said it just came out of his mouth and I dont think he is suicidal he was, like you guys are saying, just trying to act funny.

The reason I tought that he said "terrorist" was because my mom was told by the ESL teacher. So much for knowing spanish teacher.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 3, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmr
Only "observation". Wow. I would have thought he would have had jail time or at the very least expulsion. You know you just can't be too careful. My former high school has instituted no backpacks, metal detectors for all those who enter and school issued locks for easy searches.

What a difference a decade can make.

Well my home town has a population of 513 people to be exact, located in the mountains of Idaho. If someone stole something the info would beat you to the other end of town before you got there.

Nov 3, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #12 of 42
boy...some morbid discussions going on at that school.

Nov 3, 2005 at 1:00 AM Post #15 of 42
I woulnd't worry about it. It's one of those 'Oh no!' reactions that older folks get when younger folks say something weird. I could say that at work and people would be like, "Haha stop messing around!"

It's a shame in some ways - it teaches kids that saying something out of the ordinary is a bad thing and that it's better to keep one's mouth shut. That learned behavior is what keeps kids who really do have problems from telling anyone. To them the overreaction and sometimes frenzied response from those around them is harder to deal with than the problem itself.

Plus when kids say stuff like that it scares adults. Like in the past few years we've seen a rash of thrillers involving corrupted innocence. The Ring, Sixth Sense, The Grudge, etc. Those films all scare people because the idea of a 4 year old doing something or encountering something bad is 100x more frightening that someone 24 years old doing the exact same thing. In a way it's a natural human response to feel that way since it's in our nature to protect kids, but I think in many ways our society teaches us to 'react' rather than 'respond' if you know what I mean...

--Illah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back