My Listening Test Round-Up of the Mini-to-RCA Interconnects
Aug 24, 2004 at 4:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Eagle_Driver

Headphoneus Supremus
Now that my Monster Interlink Portable 400MkII cable came in, I am gathering my four mini-to-RCA cables for this round-up:
  1. RCA 6' cable with "gold-plated" plugs (purchased from Target), $4.99
  2. AR Performance Series 1m AP042 cable (purchased from Best Buy), $12.99
  3. Monster Standard Interlink Portable 200 1m cable (purchased from Best Buy), $19.99
  4. Monster Interlink Portable 400MkII 0.75m cable (ordered from Beach Audio), $21.34 (NOTE: This cable retails for $29.99)
For comparison, I included a 1m pair of Monster Interlink 400MkII RCA-to-RCA cables ($39.99) and a RadioShack Gold Series RCA-to-mini plug adapter ($5.99).

My listening tests are done on a Sony D-EJ2000 PCDP connected with the various ICs to a Grado RA-1 battery-powered amp, driving a pair of Cardas-cabled Sennheiser HD600 headphones. The CD used was the recent Sony (Columbia/Legacy) US DSD-remastered CD reissue of Masterpieces By Ellington (CK87043, 2004).

Before I get to the mini-to-RCA comparison, I want to make this clear:
If "ultimate" (or as close to ultimate as a particular portable audio player can get) sound quality is what you're after, and you're going to connect it to an amp that has only RCA inputs, then buy a mini-to-RCA IC, not a regular RCA-to-RCA IC with any RadioShack adapter. That's because the RadioShack adapter degrades the sound quality of a Monster I400MkII RCA-to-RCA cable to about the level of an I200 or an I100 IC.

Now, on to the comparo:

The RCA-branded cable made the sound a bit muddy and bloated. However, it is the only cable that's bidirectional rather than unidirectional, so it does have its uses (like connecting the output of a full-sized audio component to the input of a component that has only a mini-stereo jack).

The AR cable is a step up from the RCA/RadioShack IC in sound quality. But IMHO it's still bested by the more expensive Monster ICs in this comparison. (Keep in mind, however, that this is part of the the bottom-of-the-line series of ICs from AR. AR also sells a mini-to-RCA cable from the Pro series which would have been much more competitive in performance with the Monster ICs.)

The Monster 200 is another small step up from the AR cable in overall performance. When you upgrade the ICs to this level, you'll start to notice the improvements in the air and PRAT. Unfortunately, the problems with the loose fit of the 200's RCA connectors overshadow whatever virtues that the 200 delivers. Which lead me to upgrade to...

The Monster 400MkII is yet another step up in performance - a much more refined version of the 200. IMHO, it is easily worth the extra dough over the 200 - but only if your portable player is up to snuff, and you don't try to use the crappy-sounding headphone out to connect the IC to (if you do the latter, you might as well save yourself the dough and go for a cheaper IC).

As for the flexibility (softness) of these cables, the cheap RCA is by far the most flexible, followed closely by the AR. Surprisingly, the Monster 200 seemed much stiffer than the same company's 400MkII cable, despite the use of solid-core connectors in the latter.

Conclusion
The winner of this roundup is the Monster Interlink Portable 400MkII. And though I would recommend this cable (among those ICs that aren't outrageously expensive) for connection between a portable player and most headphone amps, some of the other ICs in this roundup may be better for certain applications, such as recording.

Eagle_Driver

Aug 30, 2004 at 2:59 AM Post #2 of 7
blind test?

go back and do a blind test if you didn't
biggrin.gif

and im perfectly happy with my DIY interconnects
biggrin.gif

Aug 30, 2004 at 3:13 AM Post #3 of 7
Screw double blind abx tests. If it sounds good, then it is good.

Eagle_Driver:

Thanks for the mini comparisons. I was kind of surprised that you thought the Monster Cables sounded best since I typically associate that company with BOSE!
eek.gif

Aug 30, 2004 at 3:27 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu

Eagle_Driver:

Thanks for the mini comparisons. I was kind of surprised that you thought the Monster Cables sounded best since I typically associate that company with BOSE!
eek.gif

Note, though, that I have not heard other brands of cables at or near Monster's price point.

This goes to show you how craptacular the selection of mini-to-RCA cables that are available locally in my area. I was shocked to find that the AR cable that I have is barely better than the cheap $5 RCA-branded ICs. (And yes, the cables that do better than any of these four cables for the price can only be ordered online - they are not carried at any of the stores that are anywhere close to where I'm at.)

Oh, well... YMMV - and ignorance is bliss.

Aug 30, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 7
make a silver cable at monsters price point and test it
biggrin.gif

Aug 30, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #6 of 7
Jim over at MagWires (has contact info at audiogon) hooked me up with the "Normal" mini-to-rca interconnect (bidirectional, he doesn't make his unidirectional) for $36. He had to custom-make it since it wasn't part of his normal line. This IC rules, and I highly recommend it. IMHO, a comparo between it and a 1m pair of Monster Interlink 400MkII RCA-to-RCA cables ($39.99) and a RadioShack Gold Series RCA-to-mini plug adapter ($5.99) would be no contest - but then again at the next NYC meet we can compare ICs if anyone likes!

Aug 30, 2004 at 9:50 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Quote:

I was kind of surprised that you thought the Monster Cables sounded best since I typically associate that company with BOSE!

This is the exact reason you do double blind tests, so your opinion and bias is not involved. If the $5 one sounds just as good or better than a more expensive one, go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back