My listening impressions of the P-51 Mustang with IE8
Apr 12, 2009 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

wht

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been lurking around the forum for some time now and have definitely benefited tremendously from the exchanges of information amongst members. Thanks to all.

I thought it may be time now to offer back something to the community in the form of my impressions of the P-51 Mustang/IE8 combination. I used both the Sony PCDP line-out and Foobar2k -> Ordnance DAC 1 as sources.

Bass: Deep, strong, full and very controlled.

Mid-range: Great vocals, inflections and nuances coming through engagingly.

Treble: As it should be, without sibilance, not rolled off.

Great soundstage with excellent imaging and layering, Voices and instruments were placed laterally across the soundstage and, front to back to some extent.

Detail and Transparency were great. No smearing of voices and instruments even in very busy and complex passages. In the quieter passages, recorded reverberations could be heard.

Good pace, snappy attack of the notes.

Apr 12, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #3 of 10
Good impressions, thanks.

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are many posts in the massive IE8 appreciation thread (toward the end) about amps that match up well with the Senns. Check the posts by headphoneaddict in particular.

HeadphoneAddict uses the ie8's with the ibasso d10 and i think he is currently testing the setup with a few opamps provided by HiFlight. HiFlight's up and coming topkit for the d10 more or less matches perfectly with the ie8's, according to HeadphoneAddict. i also use the ie8's with the d10 and it is truly a great setup.

Aug 22, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #9 of 10
Lol, where I am, i.e. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and the Philippines, the P-51 and IE8 are very rarely seen. Since I bought these, it was only last week that I saw another person using the IE8 and that was in a plane on a domestic flight to Mindanao, one of the many islands of the Philippines. I have yet to see another person with the P-51 Mustang!

I had disgressed but it was seeing that person using the IE8 that had prompted me to come back to this post.

After these months of listening to the combination with mostly my Sony D-515 as the source, I like to reaffirm the impressions I had written in the opening post, except for the front-to-back separation which now, for me, is not what I had initially thought I heard.

And, as a global subjective assessment: I always enjoy and derive great pleasure listening to music with the combination.

Aug 22, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #10 of 10
Not knowing of the amp model's existence I thought the title was a parody post of head-fi threads: Who would win in a contest between the RE0, IE8, JVC Marshmallows & Da' Bears?

dabears.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back