My left ear is dumb!
Feb 21, 2009 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Gabbo3

New Head-Fier
So, I just got my Nuforce NE-7Ms today, and so far I'm very happy with everything except one (well, actually, two, the mic doesn't work with my old iPod video, boohoo, I don't really care) thing.

I had owned a pair of Shure SCL3s, before, and I kept the medium sized silicone tips because I heard they worked quite well with these. APPARENTLY, the tip size for the SCL3s and the SCL2s (or E2s, whatever, the ones that are recommended for use with the NE-7Ms) are different, and so I can't get these to fit. (Side question: is there any way to get them to fit? I mean, it's silicone, it should stretch a fair bit... I just need to manage to get it on).

So the stock tips aren't bad, I'm using the large ones, and the seal in my ear is great, i can jump up and down with no difference. BUT MY LEFT EAR... Must be an idiot, or something. I can't even begin to even remotely get a seal, with any sized tip. As soon as I move, it just falls right out, like the opening to my ear canal is just sealed off for some reason.

SO... Well, I'm not even sure what I'm asking. Is there something in my ear?! I'll go Q-tip it, but like, what the?! Is there anyway to modify those SCL3 tips to work with these, or some way to get a seal in my left ear...?

Feb 21, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #2 of 12
I'll be curious to hear this as well. My ear canals are different shapes. I had some custom ear molds done for motorcycle riding and I was surprised be the difference.

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #3 of 12
I read somewhere that there is only a small percentage of people that can get the IEMs to fit. My ears are different sizes so... yea, same thing here (only to a bigger scale obviously).

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #4 of 12
Try pulling at your ears at all angles, and just finding that hole to the canal to guide the IEM into. Opening your mouth helps too. It's more the matter of the fit being "too tight" with some of the larger ones, then you have to either live with that or go the custom route.

Feb 22, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #5 of 12
I don't mind the tightness, I can get used to that... the problem is when I just can't get this in at all. No matter what I do. At times it'll seem like it's in, and stay in for a while, and then just slide right back out as if it's coated in Vaseline.

:xf_mad:

Feb 22, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #6 of 12
Try the smallest tips you can find or get some comply foamies. If all else fails, the complys should stay.

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #9 of 12
Okay, so I think I'm going to buy some new tips soon, because I feel like these ones are certainly upgradeable, even if I do get them to fit. What seem to be the most popular recommendation are the Comply T400 foams, and the Shure E2c soft flex/silicone (same thing?) tips.

My question, though, is which of those two are better? Keeping in mind that isolation is pretty important. And also, does anyone know of somewhere I can get these that's not online? I'm in Canada, so shipping from the States is costly and lengthly, and I'm impatient. Worst case, I'll eBay them from someone in Toronto, but before that, what kind of store would sell them?

Thanks a lot.

Feb 23, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #12 of 12
I used to suffer from fit problems with my right ear when using my former super.fi 5 pro. I could get a seal briefly, but it'd ultimately break within a few minutes. The only way I could get a solid seal was by using biflange tips or foam tips. If you can stand biflanges, then I'd try biflange tips because they'd last you longer and save you a lot of money over time compared to comply tips. However, I'd imagine you'd likely be able to find a great comfortable seal with the comply tips. The only complaint I have against comply tips is that they don't particularly last too long. I could get maybe a month max with a single pair. But of course, my ears may be different from yours. I have little wax factories in my ears, and I also take my earphones in and out a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back