My LD2++ has arrived!
Dec 7, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by pelayostyle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh wow the sovtek 6C19PI are amazing. BASS!!!! and lots more of it, plus increased volume. The bass is tighter but seems to go deeper and hit harder. I suck at explaining sounds but you can "feel" the bass now. The cello at the begining of the beatles-eleanor rigby sounds amazing now

Its actually louder now too for some wierd reason, how does that happen ?

Here are the sovtek and mullard tooobs together
PICT0173.jpg

PICT0172.jpg

Wow excellent, is that change with the ediswans or the mullards. and how do the mullards sound with the orignal power tubes? Also where did you get your 6C19PI from?

Dec 7, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by apologies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow excellent, is that change with the ediswans or the mullards. and how do the mullards sound with the orignal power tubes? Also where did you get your 6C19PI from?

I observed the change in bass and volume with the change to the sovteks with the mullards. The mullards sounded good with the stock power tubes. I bought the sovteks here... http://thetubestore.com/sovtek6c19.html

Dec 7, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

its odd how we dont all have this 'rapid heating technology thing' that penguindude suggested. Ive only just started to get the glow/flash (after about 60 hours burn in) and vcoheda has said that he doesnt experience this.

Good point. Hmm... I really have no idea. I was just relying on what other people said before..

Btw, what other power/driver tubes can be swapped besides the Sovietek brand?

Dec 7, 2006 at 2:13 PM Post #19 of 30
Do a search for "inrush current". I explained it a couple of weeks ago in a thread here.

doesn't affect sonics in any way, jury is out on whether its a good or bad thing in terms of tube life.

Fran

Dec 7, 2006 at 2:40 PM Post #20 of 30
I wonder what jury. Some of the Mullards do it and there was a Yugo made tube that did this. Tube life was not affected. I have a couple of old tubes with many hours of use and they still light up each time they are turned on and work great, longer I think than many of the same type so I don't see it as an issue.

Dec 7, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

my ld2++ has started to flash on start up (mine also has the ediswans), its only from cold that it does this, if you turn it off and on, i do not experience it. I read a thread a while back saying this was fine, sorry i cant remember the details, but the practical upshot was of it being quite normal, if i find the thread i will link it.

This link?

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=210043

Dec 7, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Sweet jesus its here! ....no time for words......must play with new toy.....here are the pics
EDIT: OMG WHAT THE **** IS THIS ?!?!?!?

Exactly as mine is...you say the Mullards are fine?

Dec 7, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #23 of 30
Power on flare is nothing to be concerned about - I have seen it throughout my time with valves and that is about 50 years. From what I have experienced, it does not affect the life of the the valve. Relax and enjoy !!

Dec 7, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by rain_uk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly as mine is...you say the Mullards are fine?

Yes, the mullards DONT do that. Although , its an awesome effect to watch and i kind of miss it knowing that its not harmful. But the mullards do sound better to my ears so its a fair trade.

Dec 7, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Yes, the mullards DONT do that. Although , its an awesome effect to watch and i kind of miss it knowing that its not harmful. But the mullards do sound better to my ears so its a fair trade.

So it sounds better with the mullards + your Sovietek? What about mullards with with the stock power tubes?

Dec 7, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So it sounds better with the mullards + your Sovietek? What about mullards with with the stock power tubes?

Mullards with the stock power tubes sounded good but didnt have as much bass as the sovteks. The amp is also a bit louder too. For example, it sounds just as loud with the volume at the 12 o'clock postion as it does with the stock power tubes at the 2 o'clock.

Dec 8, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #27 of 30
I have more news. The sovtek power tubes also make this amp run cooler. Its been on for the past 13 hours and i can still put my hand anywhere on it and leave it there for as long as i want without getting burned.

Dec 8, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #29 of 30
mad.gif
Arrr.
mad.gif
you just made me spend even more money I don't have on this amp

biggrin.gif
J/K Well I order those 6c19pi, Now I'm waiting patiently

I wonder if I should hunt down for some ediswan since I only have the mullards. But you said mullards were better; however some people on the other tread prefer the ediswan than mullards with stock power tube. I guess it's a matter of taste and synergy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back