My LD2++ has arrived!
Dec 7, 2006 at 2:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

pelayostyle

100+ Head-Fier
Sweet jesus its here! ....no time for words......must play with new toy.....here are the pics
EDIT: OMG WHAT THE **** IS THIS ?!?!?!?

PICT0147.jpg

PICT0148.jpg

PICT0149.jpg

PICT0150.jpg

PICT0151.jpg

PICT0152.jpg

PICT0154.jpg

PICT0155.jpg

PICT0156.jpg

Dec 7, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #2 of 30
Awesome pics!!!
580smile.gif

I got some Mullards on the way as well. My ++ is just about at the 100 hour mark. The bass seems to have tightened up a bit (less bloated) and, more importantly, some of the brightness has gone away. My 880s are actually tolerable now. Pretty happy with it so far. Still not a warm amp, but lots of detail. Curious to see if the Mullards sound any different (any better).

Let us know what you think about the Mullards and the Sovtek power tubes.

Dec 7, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #3 of 30
I will , but did you see the video i posted on top of the pics? BTW, it doesnt do that with the mullards. The mullards sound better from the little ive heard so far.

Dec 7, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by pelayostyle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will , but did you see the video i posted on top of the pics? BTW, it doesnt do that with the mullards. The mullards sound better from the little ive heard so far.

Just watched it. What was that.
blink.gif
My amp has never flashed when powering up. Was that the Mullard or the Ediswan?

Dec 7, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #6 of 30
Great Video!

I guess this is the Mullards? Yes, this is normal and a number of Mullards do this on turn on. It is the filament that throws off the light until it heats up, resistance goes up and the filament returns to normal. It will do this for the life of the tube. I actually think it is neat.

I can only imagine that the Mullards will without doubt sound the best. They put out many very fine tubes and not too many duds. I would get an extra pair or two. Always have backups as tubes not last forever.

Dec 7, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by pelayostyle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was the ediswan set in that video.

That's not how my ++ powers up. It does so nice and smooth, gradually. No flashes (for once). Hopefully, just a one time thing.

Dec 7, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #8 of 30
my ld2++ has started to flash on start up (mine also has the ediswans), its only from cold that it does this, if you turn it off and on, i do not experience it. I read a thread a while back saying this was fine, sorry i cant remember the details, but the practical upshot was of it being quite normal, if i find the thread i will link it.

Dec 7, 2006 at 4:57 AM Post #9 of 30
I dont think the Mullards have that technology. It must be the Ediswan that were "flashing." As Mr. Yang and some other people earlier explained, flashing in the driver tubes should be nothing to worry about. It's just the rapid heating technology thing. So, i dont think they are the Mullards as they do not heat up like that on my LD2+.

Dec 7, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by apologies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my ld2++ has started to flash on start up (mine also has the ediswans), its only from cold that it does this, if you turn it off and on, i do not experience it. I read a thread a while back saying this was fine, sorry i cant remember the details, but the practical upshot was of it being quite normal, if i find the thread i will link it.

It is normal when the filaments are cold on some tubes. This was often the case with some of the Mullards but there were a couple of other makers that also had their tubes do this. There have been many threads on this over the years.

Dec 7, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is normal when the filaments are cold on some tubes. This was often the case with some of the Mullards but there were a couple of other makers that also had their tubes do this. There have been many threads on this over the years.

Yea, as long as there's no flashing in the POWER tubes, it's fine.

Plus, i dont think that's flashing. That looks more like a rapid "glow" that goes away after 2 seconds. Flashing is different, it's like lightening and doesnt have that much glow to it.

Dec 7, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont think the Mullards have that technology. It must be the Ediswan that were "flashing." As Mr. Yang and some other people earlier explained, flashing in the driver tubes should be nothing to worry about.

I agree. The cause for concern is when the power tube flashes. So, this is probably not a big deal.

Dec 7, 2006 at 5:11 AM Post #13 of 30
its odd how we dont all have this 'rapid heating technology thing' that penguindude suggested. Ive only just started to get the glow/flash (after about 60 hours burn in) and vcoheda has said that he doesnt experience this.

Dec 7, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #15 of 30
Oh wow the sovtek 6C19PI are amazing. BASS!!!! and lots more of it, plus increased volume. The bass is tighter but seems to go deeper and hit harder. I suck at explaining sounds but you can "feel" the bass now. The cello at the begining of the beatles-eleanor rigby sounds amazing now

Its actually louder now too for some wierd reason, how does that happen ?

Here are the sovtek and mullard tooobs together
PICT0173.jpg

PICT0172.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back