My LCD-2 died - Need a budget replacement while I save
Feb 3, 2018 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

durkk

Head-Fier
So one of the drivers of my LCD 2 died. I have a pair of DT 770's but I need to solder close to the driver to fix it and I'm weary to do it.

I have about a 100$ for a replacement pair of cans while I save up for the repair fee of the LCD's.

Have not been active here for a while. Really keen to hear what you guys think is the best bang for buck if you needed to replace pair of LCD 2's.

Thanks in advance!

Feb 3, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #2 of 12
Sorry about your LCD 2. A few thoughts below.

Open: SHP9500 or ATH-AD700X

Closed: SoundMAGIC HP151 or M40X

Maybe read about these and see what you think. It is possible one of them could work for you.

Feb 15, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #3 of 12
Were your lcds pre fazor? It might be worth noting that i think pre-2014 sound different from post. If you had pre-2014, they will sounds different since they will replace the drivers with current ones

Feb 15, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 12
Sorry about your LCD 2. A few thoughts below.

Open: SHP9500 or ATH-AD700X

Closed: SoundMAGIC HP151 or M40X

Maybe read about these and see what you think. It is possible one of them could work for you.

Thanks, the Phillips looks interesting. Seems they dont really sell it here (anymore).

Were your lcds pre fazor? It might be worth noting that i think pre-2014 sound different from post. If you had pre-2014, they will sounds different since they will replace the drivers with current ones

Yes, they were rev2's. As you can see in my image they still had the wood plug holder. It's a shame but alas. Do you have experience with both?

I'm currently pondering to first get some monoprice planar.

Feb 15, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #6 of 12
Feb 16, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #7 of 12
Have you contacted Audeze about getting them fixed? I know they extended the warranty on a lot of the LCDs.

Feb 16, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #8 of 12
Thanks for the headsup! I was looking at the smaller monoprices as a temp. I will be upgrading the LCD's tho, eventually.
I have the same LCD-2. I'm curious how it and the LCD-2C compare side by side, especially how much more 'air' the LCD-2C has. The earlier has great slam and a cable change works wonders but I've always wanted a smidge more openess at the top without sacrificing the low end

Feb 16, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #10 of 12
Yeah, I contacted them with the problem and they quoted me what it would cost to fix. They did not mention extended warranty, sadly.
Did you give them the Serial Number? Do you know the production year? I think there is a 5 year warranty on the drivers.

Feb 16, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #11 of 12
More to the point: Koss Porta Pro! Cheap as chips and lifetime warranty. Sells for I think £30 (or equivalent new). Alternately AKG K550 can be got for £60 on ebay (various iterations, Mk2 toned down some of the treble issues, I see now there's a Mk3)

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #12 of 12
Did you give them the Serial Number? Do you know the production year? I think there is a 5 year warranty on the drivers.
Yeah, it was passed the warranty. Thanks for looking out tho!

More to the point: Koss Porta Pro! Cheap as chips and lifetime warranty. Sells for I think £30 (or equivalent new). Alternately AKG K550 can be got for £60 on ebay (various iterations, Mk2 toned down some of the treble issues, I see now there's a Mk3)

Cheers for the suggestions. Both lack a bit of oomph in the lower frequencies to my liking tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back