My latest hobby
Nov 7, 2004 at 9:52 PM Post #3 of 29
Are you taking over the world?

Nov 7, 2004 at 10:17 PM Post #5 of 29
yep thats definately a holography setup, i did that a few years ago it was fun... never got any good results tho
frown.gif

ended up just playing around mostly with laser light shows making X-Y scanners and the such, was fun
eggosmile.gif

Nov 7, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #6 of 29
Man, people here have such hardcore hobbies.
basshead.gif

Nov 7, 2004 at 10:43 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
I'm pretty sure it's for making holograms, at least that's what the lasers lead me to believe.

We have a winner.
smily_headphones1.gif

Melles-Griot 1mW HeNe tube on the table and a JDS Uniphase 40mW 514nm argon-ion tube underneath (that's what the ducting is for: the thing dissipates something like 1000W of heat).

Nov 7, 2004 at 10:45 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom
yep thats definately a holography setup, i did that a few years ago it was fun... never got any good results tho
frown.gif

ended up just playing around mostly with laser light shows making X-Y scanners and the such, was fun
eggosmile.gif

How far did you get into it?

Oh, and you might get a kick out of this guy's work: http://elm-chan.org/works/vlp/report_e.html

Nov 7, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by eric343
How far did you get into it?

Oh, and you might get a kick out of this guy's work: http://elm-chan.org/works/vlp/report_e.html

damn that is a really nice site...

i built a few light shows, mostly with red He-Ne's, ive been thinking of building a DPSS green laser diode setup tho similar to what the guy has on his site...

i really really want to get a blue laser, but the most common ones are argon and very large/expensive/loud (fans)

i built a few pair of simple off center mirrors on a motor shaft to make a "spirograph" laser light show which was neat...

also made a neat "music display" using two speakers... removed the cones and put a little lever and a mirror, one was L and the other was R, they were setup as X and Y, so the music would make the show
smily_headphones1.gif

was kinda neat seeing what kind of patters different music would make

another one was using a single speaker in the same kind of setup and then using a motor with 8 mirrors setup as an octogon, use the speaker for the input and have the motor be adjustable speed... then use the motor to "scan" the light coming out from the speaker, was like a DIY laser oscilloscope
smily_headphones1.gif

the XY one i never got working quite right, perhaps i will do another
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom
i really really want to get a blue laser, but the most common ones are argon and very large/expensive/loud (fans)

I have a blue argon head in addition to the 514nm one shown in the picture. I probably paid ~$500-$750 for the two heads, power supply, and blower.

Nov 8, 2004 at 12:13 AM Post #12 of 29
Eric, you're crazy. That said, I've never met anyone more qualified for admission to MIT--it'd be a shame if you weren't accepted.

Nov 8, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit
Eric, you're crazy. That said, I've never met anyone more qualified for admission to MIT--it'd be a shame if you weren't accepted.

I know about 3-4 who are going to MIT right now.

Of course my school is full of ap wackos. I'll take my Physics non-AP, thank you very much.

Nov 8, 2004 at 12:36 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenScrtchBoy
Quote:

I know about 3-4 who are going to MIT right now.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 8, 2004 at 12:37 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit

MIT's a crapshoot, but I did my best...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back