My last steps to a final setup
Jun 7, 2008 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Pantocrator

Head-Fier
The setup so far is iphone or other DAP Line out Meier Corda 2move HD600/Etymotics ER-4s

Here is what I still have to think about
I was told to look at the RSA line of amps, but according to that amp roundup the corda is ranked the same but at about half the price as the predator.

Also, it seems like from the etymotics website the er-4s needs to be amped, but the er-4p does not. Is this true? I would rather be able to use the IEMs without an amp, but the HD600's with an amp.
Finally, for price-performance, what is the max amount of money I should be willing to put over for a HD650 compared to HD600?

Right now, prices are
HD600 $270 Compuplus
HD650 $315 ewiz
ER-4s $180 Newegg
Corda 2move $275 manufacturer

Are these fair? Can you find better prices anywhere?

Thanks for all the help.

Jun 7, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 12
Shameless bump

Jun 7, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

I was told to look at the RSA line of amps, but according to that amp roundup the corda is ranked the same but at about half the price as the predator.

The amp roundup is the opinion of only one Head-fi member, so I suggest reading different reviews by other people before making any purchase.

Other than that, I would advise buying used to save money if you're comfortable with that. It gives you the possibility to compare items by yourself and sell with a very small loss.

Jun 7, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #4 of 12
Maybe... I'm never really comfortable buying used, especially over the internet, and especially with such an expensive purchase. Are there other member reviews comparing the Predator with the 2move?

Jun 8, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #5 of 12
So this setup seems good to everyone? I would like to buy it soon, and I want to make sure everything is kosher. The amps I mentioned will easily power the HD600? If someone knowledgeable could just run down the list of questions I had that would be great.

Jun 8, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #6 of 12
I don't see the point in using a portable amp if you're going to be using it with un-portable headphones. Unless it's just a temporary thing.

Jun 8, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #7 of 12
I'll be in a dorm room and won't have room. I will probably use it with a laptop as well.

Jun 8, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #8 of 12
I personally wouldn't be too surprised if the 2Move sounded on par with the Predator, but do remember that the hefty price difference means that the Corda has a shorter battery life per charge, no integrated charging (you need your own 9V battery charger), and no source input switch. Just something worth thinking about, whether or not these things are significant for you.

Jun 8, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #9 of 12
Re: amps... Right now your pouring over the opinions on the SQ, in 2 months you'll realise that battery life is important too. The Tomahawk will give very similar SQ with a massive 400 hours of battery life.

On the Ety's... get Ps with the S converter cable. For an extra $60 you have the option to go ampless and you can get the sexier all black ones.

Jun 9, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #10 of 12
All right. So let me get this straight.
The P's are lower sound quality but do not need an amp, but the S's require an amp but are of better quality? And if I buy the P's, I could modify them so that they would be S's and P's at different times??

Jun 9, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #11 of 12
So let me get this straight. The P's do not require an amp, but have lower SQ, but the S's require an amp but are of higher quality? And if I buy the P's I can modify them at will so they would be S's so I get the best of both worlds?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back