My laptops GPU is on its way out, time for a desktop!
Jan 8, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #31 of 75
Well yeah, intel holds the performance crown, but AMD still have a better price/performance ratio. Also, there is software that utilizes your video card and not your CPU.

Jan 8, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #32 of 75
im finding it pretty hard to decide

the amd is usually behind all the i5/7 incarnations so i dont know how long itll last

and ram speeds on the i7 920 board is much higher.. if the i7 920 was overall £100 cheaper id get it its price is holding me back

Jan 9, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #33 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looking at it 29x are too expensive!

i found Radeon HD 5850 which looks good

The new Nvidia Fermi cards are going to be formally announced later this week.

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #36 of 75
If you want to go with Intel, that's fine, it's your system
biggrin.gif
. Just make sure you get an ATI card (the 5xxx series rapes). And Fermi... it's a joke now. And unless you're a hardcore overclocker, you dont need to mind the stepping, it just shows revisions.

Jan 9, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #37 of 75
i think i will go intel, just cause im more familiar with it does seem to beat the amd atm without overclock and theres a lot of room for overclock, the 920 with overclock beats the 965 without overclock

the thing that may make me go amd is if they came out with a new cpu in the next 6 months that was as good as an i7 without changing socket from am3

the amd is slower than even the i5 if it was on par with the i7 860 id go for it.. it just seems a bit TOO lacking, tho they do seem cheaper than intel all the time [ie future upgrade!]

im def getting the 5850 radeon [nvidia hav annoyed me] and probably 2 later, def going OCZ ram and the noctura CPU cooler and 750W corsair PSU

only decision is amd vs intel cause once i decided im locked in unless i change both ram, cpu and mobo

triple channel and higher ram speed also attract me to the i7 920

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #39 of 75
Jan 9, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #40 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by lwells /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you ever owned an ATI card? I have never had good luck with their drivers. And they are SO freakin' loud.

Any highend video card is loud. Besides, you can control the fan speed with the software. I own a 4870 in my desktop and a 3850 in my laptop, no driver issues. Please refrain from making misleading statements.

Jan 9, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #42 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by lwells /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new Nvidia Fermi cards are going to be formally announced later this week.

Some vids out. Rumored Q1 launch.

Jan 10, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #43 of 75
on the side of psus, what wattage should i be going for?

something like 750 or 850?

[overclocked cpu and 2 gfx cards in future]

i heard those are comming q3 2010.. no matter, a failed 7950gtx in my laptop means i dont want those cards anymore

Jan 10, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #44 of 75
Get a core i5!! i did and im very glad i made the purchase, much more bang-for-the-buck. Judging by what you say you're gonna use your pc for, core i5 the easy choice.

Believe me when i say! i5 is fast, and destroys whatever day-to-day tasks i throw at it, i7, IMO is overkill for the extra money you pay for it.

Plus, if you overclock, i5 scales better than the i7.

and remember than socket 1156 is the latest to have come out, I wouldnt count on socket 1366's life span to be longer than 1156.

Jan 10, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #45 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some vids out. Rumored Q1 launch.

They demo'd it at CES this year. They had a rig running 3 (three) of them, and the benchmark still lagged near the end. The one thing they kept promoting was "LOOK THATS THE PHYSICS WE WERE TALKING ABOUT!!! RECOGNIZE!!!!!" The benchmark wasn't even that fantastic graphics-wise.

As for the PSU, make sure it has at least ~40Amps total on the +12V rail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back