My laptops GPU is on its way out, time for a desktop!
Jan 13, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #61 of 75
i kinda like the first case but am unsure if itll fit the 5850

thats ok, the heatsink measures 158mm and those cases are all about 220mm wide so should be room
smily_headphones1.gif

having a 130 laptop for all this time makes you forget what stuff is like, i couldnt believe the weight of the 850w psu :O

just wish i couldve got that mushkin ram overhere :/ apart form that, unless theres any more ram rec [g.skill 8-8-8 12800 6gb atm] then all i need to decide on is the case!

Jan 13, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #62 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by shake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know right? having a tower heatsink makes you feel more like a man
biggrin.gif
. As a general rule, take the height of your heatsink and add 40mm and that's at least how wide your case should be.
All those cases should be able to fit the 5850 as long as you dont install your harddrive in line with the video card.

ill try to check to see how many they will fit with a couple of hard drives in, its purely aesthetics, but im a bit fussy lol

Jan 13, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #63 of 75
You'll probably find that the tower heat sink, while scary big, fits most full size ATX towers, but it doesn't hurt to be careful.

@ shake - lol. Yeah. I got it because this was my first time using a Pentium CPU in a loooong time and it's an E8500, which is supposedly an easy overclock. I figure I'll probably try to extend the life of it down the road by overclocking, so having a decent heat sink makes sense.

Though IMO, the amount of time and money you put into a computer, it doesn't really ever make sense to go the "really cheap" route.

And yeah...the video card's nowadays are ginormous. I felt like I was playing Tetris or something when I was trying to fit 3 SATA HD's and their cables around the back end of my Radeon. With the power input jack it almost hits my drive bay. There is absolutely no way I could fit another HD in that computer on a permanent basis with that card, though it's just as well from an air-flow perspective.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #64 of 75
i doubt ill need more than a pair of 1.5tb drives for a while.. well u never know, but can always go external for data anyways

damn ram is causing me a nightmare still, but trying to find a graphics card in stock is far worse! :/

Jan 14, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #65 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i doubt ill need more than a pair of 1.5tb drives for a while.. well u never know, but can always go external for data anyways

damn ram is causing me a nightmare still, but trying to find a graphics card in stock is far worse! :/

You can also buy adapters to mount harddrive in the 5.25" bays.

Like I said earlier, ram doesn't matter that much unless you're trying to OC hard-core, in that case, you'd be spending a premium on marginal benefits. It's like buying a $2000 headphone amp when a $250 will more than suffice. Just make sure it's by a reputable manufacturer and has heatsinks. HEATSINKS: Thats how you know its good
biggrin.gif
\
Yeah at the beginning of this thread I was gonna comment "wow, you found a radeon 5800 series in stock?". You could also get a 57xx series. They are also very good for the money.

Jan 14, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #66 of 75
is it all over the world they are low on stock then?
thats also pretty useful to mount them in 5.25 bays cause ill probs only have one DVD drive

well ill get the g.skill ones, they seem to be in a fair few peoples machines and have a lifetime guarantee

Jan 14, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #67 of 75
Quote:

is it all over the world they are low on stock then?
thats also pretty useful to mount them in 5.25 bays cause ill probs only have one DVD drive

well ill get the g.skill ones, they seem to be in a fair few peoples machines and have a lifetime guarantee

G.Skill is a very good brand.

The low stock problem is all over the world. It is due to low-yields on the 40nm dies of the video cards. This goes for ATI and nvidia... and also because everyone wants a new radeon 5xxx series video card
biggrin.gif

Don't forget to buy an operating system too.

Jan 14, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #68 of 75
You don't need anything more than an i5 750 for gaming. You're wasting your money trying to get the best of the best. Futureproofing in the world of PCs is futile.

I would suggest i5 + 5850 for the most to spend, X3 720BE + 5770 if you maybe would rather spend some money on audio.

Jan 14, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #69 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't need anything more than an i5 750 for gaming. You're wasting your money trying to get the best of the best. Futureproofing in the world of PCs is futile.

I would suggest i5 + 5850 for the most to spend, X3 720BE + 5770 if you maybe would rather spend some money on audio.

Well technically even clock-for-clock the i5/i7 don't produce any visible gains in gaming from a Core 2 Quad. I remember in an extensive benchmark review between a 4GHz i7-920 and a 4GHz Q9550 (with a 5870 OC'd to 1000/1300 as the GPU), the results were neck-and-neck for all but maybe one game (GTA IV). The differences are only visible in SLI and Crossfire setups where the i7 does come out ahead.

But I agree that the i7 920 will not produce a visible advantage from an i5 750. Plus, moving forward, 1156 is the 32nm socket.

Jan 14, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #70 of 75
Guys with that mentality, you're gonna end up waiting forever for the next best thing to show up, then the next best thing that comes out 6 months later. A good processor and a radeon 58xx series card will handle ANYTHING (the average user) cares to throw at it for now till when we need to play crysis 3 @ 7200x3240.
But yeah, the i920, 940,965 are being fazed out.

Jan 14, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #71 of 75
Quote:

Guys with that mentality, you're gonna end up waiting forever for the next best thing to show up, then the next best thing that comes out 6 months later. A good processor and a radeon 58xx series card will handle ANYTHING (the average user) cares to throw at it for now till when we need to play crysis 3 @ 7200x3240.
But yeah, the i920, 940,965 are being fazed out.

The mentality is not "Wait, something better might come out", it's "Wait, something better IS DEFINITELY COMING OUT". There's no point in buying top of the line because it will be worth half that in 6 months' time and you'll be regretting having spent so much money on power you don't need anyway. It's better to save your money and buy something sufficient now, then in 12mo buy another upgrade with the money you saved, without having to replace your entire system. This upgrade might cost you the difference between top of the range and "enough" right now, but it will be better than what top of the range was when you first bought your PC.

Jan 14, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #72 of 75
oh great, looks like my 920 was a bit of a waste then, too late now, its here with mobo coming soon

also i thought hexacores were due out sometime on the 1366 platform

doesnt matter, ive bought it now, i chose i7 cause the motherboards werent as good as the 1366s

Jan 14, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #73 of 75
Quote:

Don't forget to buy an operating system too.

i have a copy of windows 7 i used on laptop so can use that
smily_headphones1.gif

so overall is the g.skill a decent set [ripjaws, 1.6v 8-8-8-24, 12800] or are there better? im getting the picture that low voltage is most important

Jan 14, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #74 of 75
Quote:

oh great, looks like my 920 was a bit of a waste then, too late now, its here with mobo coming soon

also i thought hexacores were due out sometime on the 1366 platform

doesnt matter, ive bought it now, i chose i7 cause the motherboards werent as good as the 1366s

Eh. In my opinion, the i920 isn't $90 (+cost of more expensive motherboards) better than the amd 965, but the i920 is a good processor too. I just wouldn't pay full retail for it.

Jan 14, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #75 of 75
i could still ditch the 920 but only if its goint to be worth my while to go with 1156

id only have a few days to decide tho and it would probs cost £20 to return it and the motherboard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back