My LAN Cable Died
Jan 12, 2009 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dj_mocok

Headphoneus Supremus
Yes, I find it hard to believe that a LAN cable can actually fail.
It started awhile ago as in occasional "LAN unplugged" notification under windows. But today the message popped out every few seconds or so (even though I could still connect to internet as normal), so I tried to fix it and it died altogether.

I was worried that it was my router but luckily I found out that it's the cable. Also fortunately I have spare LAN cable to connect to my router. Darn yellow LAN cable - can't trust these stuff.

Imagine if I didn't have a spare cable. I would have been internet-less for a few days at least (because I might be thinking that it's the router).

Jan 12, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 12
it happened to me so many times....poor connectors, lot of ruff use..

but they are cheap so dont worry?

Jan 12, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 12
Yeah, like most other cables they can break as well.
Just have a spare available, just in case!
smile.gif

Jan 12, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 12
Be thankful you don't route the stuff outside. I have to run 2 of those cables for a length of nearly 100 ft every time we move our rig and sat. camp to a new location (at least twice a month). At 50 below, those things fail if you stare at them...

Glad to see you got your problem resolved though!

Jan 12, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #5 of 12
Ethernet cables aren't very durable. They are meant to be cheap, so you have to be careful with the connectors. Pins can easily get bent or broken if inserted at an angle.

Also the quality cable itself can differ depending on where you get it. Some are shielded or double shielded and some have better jackets than others.

Jan 16, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #6 of 12
Yeah, I bought a light-up USB cable when I first started college. Within a few weeks, it came out of its own cabling. Fortunately, me and my roommate had a nice friend who gave us his Belkin cable to se from then on.

As to what happened to that cheap wire, I fashioned it into a noose and hung it around the dorm room. I haven't seen it for awhile, so I think my roommate is hiding it from me.
tongue.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #7 of 12
WLAN FTW
wink.gif

...if the cat would just quit playing with the cable that runs to the router...
wink.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #8 of 12
I've worked in enterprise IT situations. When I hear about LAN connectivity issues, the first thing I check is the cable. The second would the the NIC. Even in an office setting with desktop computers, people can snag cables with their feet and destroy them.

Always remember Occam's razor when troubleshooting.

Jan 16, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Braver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WLAN FTW
wink.gif

...if the cat would just quit playing with the cable that runs to the router...
wink.gif

WLAN all the way.
But its not always an option...

Jan 16, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WLAN all the way.
But its not always an option...

Have to hide those emissions from the government mind-control-ray satellites overhead! Quick, get your tinfoil hats on!
wink_face.gif

WLAN still can't compete on speed, though, especially for large file transfers or gaming. Even N-draft. Though, it is awfully convenient from browsing everywhere around the house... even in my anti-satellite shelter, the washroom.

Jan 17, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have to hide those emissions from the government mind-control-ray satellites overhead! Quick, get your tinfoil hats on!
wink_face.gif

WLAN still can't compete on speed, though, especially for large file transfers or gaming. Even N-draft. Though, it is awfully convenient from browsing everywhere around the house... even in my anti-satellite shelter, the washroom.

You don't need a high speed connection for gaming.

I have your run of the mill DSL connection and have been using wireless for all of my PCs for years. I game quite a bit and always have low latency.

Though I agree about network file transfers. Wireless to wireless file transfers can take forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back