My Koss ksc35 review
Feb 2, 2006 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

xtr3me

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there fellow head-fiers. I decided to do this review of these magnificent however discontinued phones, because there are still a few head-fiers out there interested in knowing how they are so that when they find them used or on ebay, they know if they should buy it or not. Considering a lot of people seem to think the 75s sound is even better than the 35s, this can be a good starting point for everyone thinking about buying them.
Besides I consider them a good starting point for those initiating their head-fi journey

[size=large]
Koss’ KSC35 review
[/size]

[size=large]
[Intro]
[/size]

As soon I introduced myself to the head-fi world, I found out there was a pair of headphones that was systematically pointed as the best “bang for the buck” by fellow head-fiers. I’m talking about the Koss KSC35.
Immediately I started to consider buying a pair, since it’s price was an invitation. In case I didn’t like them, I wouldn’t have spent a lot of money acquiring them.
[size=large]
[Songs used for the test][/size]

Iron Maiden – The Wicker Man
Helloween – Crazy Cat
Norah Jones – In the morning
Queens of the Stone Age – Little Sister
Franz Ferdinand – The Fallen
Dream Theater – Lie
Maroon5 – Secret
Maroon5 – Sunday Morning
Gonçalo Pereira – Pastel de Nata
Gonçalo Pereira – Contratempo (Damaia Blues)

I tried to use a list of songs that would cover different styles of music. Despite having a few more hard rock/metal bands, they all have different characteristics, and that’s why they were included. (I would like to have covered some instrumental-only jazz, some blues, a little different rock bands – pink floyd, radiohead, muse, etc – and some classical so that I could listen the 35s response to some music details, but I am away from home at the moment and don’t have the cd’s that allow me to make those tests).

[size=large][The test][/size]

The Wicker Man:

This is a very direct song, not extremely fast, except for the guitar solos. The 35s behaved very well. The guitars are well heard, the bass is clear, the overall sound is very good. However I noticed a very light distortion in a few parts of the guitar solo and in some parts of the rhythm [see notes].

Crazy Cat:

In this song I’ve noticed that the guitar sometimes overlaps the other instruments, due to it’s high sounds which the koss really stand out. That sometimes makes it difficult to hear the lower sounds of the rhythm guitar and the bass. However, when the guitars play in a little lower tune, you can definitely hear the bass sound, which really stands out.
This is good to hear the good highs and middles of the 35s

In the Morning:

This song is a lot calmer than the prior ones. As usual the bass is well heard. This really stands out as one of the great qualities of the koss. However sometimes the bass is so proeminent that it muffles the sound a little, which stands out a bit more because this song doesn’t have chord-based rhythm guitar that can fill in the sound a little more.
I’ve also noticed that little distortion [see notes] on some parts of the vocals which, apart from this, were extremely clear and kind of stood out from the musical section.

Little Sister:

Well, this song is a special song. I thought the koss would possibly have trouble in this song, because of Josh’s guitar distortion, but unlike I expected, they dealt with it pretty well.

The Fallen:

I don’t really have anything to say here. There no problem what so ever that I could find, and the sound was extremely good.

Lie:

This is probably the most low-tuned song of those tested. The rhythm has very low power-chords and the bass is, again, very proeminent. In this song, the sound was a little muffled due to the reasons I already explained. The drum pedals were very present and you could really feel the beat. I noticed again that little distortion in the guitar rhythmic session right before the first solo; however that’s pretty good, considering that with such a low tune, I thought I’d hear a lot more distortion.
This is a very involving music, and the koss really helped creating that heavier environment.

Secret:

This song is a bit like Norah Jones’ “In the Morning” in the sense that these were the two more acoustic songs of the test, and the koss really deal well with the acoustic guitar sound (which emphasizes the bass sound even more). No problems here.

Sunday Morning:

Very good highs (I could listen to the very low-volumed rhythm guitar’s high-tuned chords), and as said before, crystal clear vocals and good bass. No problems here either.

Pastel de Nata & Contratempo (Damaia Blues):

These songs create very similar environments. Gonçalo Pereira is a guitar player from Portugal, and his songs are very dynamic, with a lot of breaks and technical details.
The koss really dealt well with these dynamics, and the combination of slow rhythms with some high pinched notes, were not a problem for the 35s.

As conclusion for the test I can only say that the koss have really shown their versatility, dealing with very different types of music and without major problems.
The bass is extremely strong and the highs and mids are very well covered. The 35s are pretty well balanced and the way they fit your ears really helps this.
If the 35s are already like this, I can’t imagine how the 75s will be. They must surely be the best headphones around at they price range.
[size=large]
[Notes]
[/size]

I later found out that the distortion I heard was caused in part by the eq settings, which I later modified.

[size=large][Usability/Construction][/size]

The koss ksc35 are ear-clip headphones. They really fit the ears, but after a few hours (or minutes for some) the upper part of your ears will eventually soar. You’ll notice this more when you take them off and pass you hand over your ears, than with them on.

The construction is acceptable. Aesthetically the headphones are pretty in an all black style (I like them more than the 75s). However if you don’t take care when putting them on, you may have some clip problems (they begin to loosen up from the headphones).

[size=large][Conclusion][/size]

For this price (below $50) I have no doubts in recommending these headphones. Since I’ve heard the 75s sound even better, I think that if you can’t find these 35s used or on ebay, you won’t be disappointed if you decide to buy the 75s.
Koss has done a wonderful job, and having this quality for this price is a lot more that you could ask.
These are definitely a pair of headphones everyone should have (weather or not you’re a head-fier).

I hope you find this review useful.
Leave your comments if you like, as I’d be interested to hear what you think.

Thanks for reading.
Best regards

Feb 2, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #2 of 15
hey , who says that 75 sound better then 35 , not true really
very_evil_smiley.gif

congrats on this wonderful budget musical and easy cans
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #3 of 15
Nice job on the review! I'd have to agree with boodi that the 35s sound better than the 75s. I'm switching back and forth between both right now. The 35s have an overall warmer sound with noticeably more bass impact. But either way you go, it's still a great value!

Feb 2, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #5 of 15
THis is making the decision between the 35's and the 75's more difficult. Thanks a lot for the review, and in case anybody is looking for a pair of the 35's there are two used pairs on amazon as of now.

Feb 2, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #7 of 15
Thanks a lot for your comments guys. I'm glad you liked it
wink.gif

About the 75 vs 35 I based on what I've heard around. I don't have the 75s so I can't compare. Either way I think they must be great for the price too, 'cause I don't think Koss would be able to ruin what they've acomplished with the 35s (that's why I supose the sound must be very similar).

In any case, thank you again for your comments.
Best regards

Feb 2, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #10 of 15
I have both the 35's and the 75's and, while both are awesome, I also prefer the 35's. They just have a more full sound. However, I paid $30 for the 35's and only $15 for the 75's. So, IMO, they are both the best at their respective price points.

If you really want to hear either of them shine, pick up a 75 ohm adapter and run them through an amp. Run this way, I perfer the 35's to my SR80's (w/flat pads).
eek.gif

Feb 2, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #11 of 15
Good Review. I just recieved my KSC-75s in the mail, from amazon.com, my initial impressions will probably change after proper burn in.

IMO there is more bass from the KSC-35s, and the vocals seem slightly veiled (they are definately warmer sounding,) they are more sensitive, and seem to have a wider soundstage. With the KSC-75s I have to turn up the volume slightly higher than the 35s, they have less bass impact/slam than the 35s, clearer highs than the 35s, the mids (especially the vocals) are clearer than the 35s. Finally the KSC-75s are way more comfortable due to the different design of the ear clip. For their price both are definately keepers, and are fun headphones to listen through. I like the KSC-35s.

Is it worth it to recable the KSC-35s? I was rooting through old KSC-35 posts last night, but I couldn't find a similar detailed review of how the KSC-35s sound improved after the recabling work. THANKS!

Feb 2, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rab10
Good Review. I just recieved my KSC-75s in the mail, from amazon.com, my initial impressions will probably change after proper burn in.

IMO there is more bass from the KSC-35s, and the vocals seem slightly veiled (they are definately warmer sounding,) they are more sensitive, and seem to have a wider soundstage. With the KSC-75s I have to turn up the volume slightly higher than the 35s, they have less bass impact/slam than the 35s, clearer highs than the 35s, the mids (especially the vocals) are clearer than the 35s. Finally the KSC-75s are way more comfortable due to the different design of the ear clip. For their price both are definately keepers, and are fun headphones to listen through. I like the KSC-35s.

Is it worth it to recable the KSC-35s? I was rooting through old KSC-35 posts last night, but I couldn't find a similar detailed review of how the KSC-35s sound improved after the recabling work. THANKS!

I remember about a year ago (I think) someone did a sweet recable on some 35's and said it really improved the sound but made them too heavy.

Feb 2, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mektarus
someone did a sweet recable on some 35's and said it really improved the sound but made them too heavy.

Head-Fi's Sponsor: Moon Audio advertises the mod on their website. I am concerned that a better cable might make the KSC-35s heavy, but I need cleaner and clearer treble with my 35s. Maybe I should KRAMER MOD my KSC's but I don't want to damage them.

Feb 2, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rab10
Head-Fi's Sponsor: Moon Audio advertises the mod on their website. I am concerned that a better cable might make the KSC-35s heavy, but I need cleaner and clearer treble with my 35s. Maybe I should KRAMER MOD my KSC's but I don't want to damage them.

Yeah, I've thought about modding my 75's (because they can be replaced) but i will never touch my 35's.

Feb 3, 2006 at 9:08 AM Post #15 of 15
I had a KSC-75 and a KSC-35. I have compared them. It was difficult for me to say which is the best at first. But after long listening sessions with different music types I sold my KSC-75. And, gues what I have done. A bought another KSC-35 and I keep it as spare! I have recabled the old one and modded the screen and foam. Added a 75ohm,1/4 watt, %1, metal film resistor across the solder points on the drivers. It is unbeleivable after these mods. Just try and see what kind of a potential they offer!

My mini review on the below is from a previous post from this link: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ight=ksc-35+75

I have both KSC-75 and KSC-35. I have ended up my search and use only the KSC-35.

35 vs 75 (both unmodded)

KSC-35 Lighter
KSC-75 Heavier

KSC-35 Looks like a headphone
KSC-75 Looks like a toy

KSC-35 Better controlled bass
KSC-75 Bass is a little bit uncontrolled

KSC-35 Highs are very little bit recessed
KSC-75 Better presentaition in highs

KSC-35 Better 3d feeling
KSC-75 Less 3d feeling

KSC-35 Earpeace not bendable (you may mod)*
KSC-75 Bendable earpeace

KSC-35 Presents some cable microphonics
KSC-75 Presents less cable microphonics

KSC-35 Ear foams are thinner but better
KSC-75 Ear foams are thicker but tends to collect hair inside

These headphones are near identical in terms of sound quality but there are slight differences. Finally for my opinion KSC-35 is a better buy.
*=Detach the earhook from the headphone and bend the plastic after heating with a hot air gun or hair dryer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back