My JH16 Pros Have Arrived - Photos
Mar 31, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #32 of 50
I realize they're in different leagues, but can you please compare your JH16s with the Westone 3 in terms of soundstage, bass impact, quality and extension? And do you have any other thoughts on how they compare with the W3, TF10 and SE530?

Also, if you listen to bass-heavy music (e.g. house or hip-hop), do you feel like the bass can be overwhelming or give you a headache if you listened for a few hours?

Thanks.

Mar 31, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #33 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by warp08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, if you guys get one of these IEMs, the instruction book is hilarious. I recommend you read it, I was LMAOF the whole time. I suspect it comes with all of their models, not just the 16s.

I don't have any of their earphones, but I read the manual, and I agree, it's really funny.

Apr 1, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #34 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bína /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just question, you have caps both in imod and in lod?

I believe that is their correct spelling. LOD stands for Line Out Dock and the iMod follows the standard Apple product line spelling criteria, e.g., iPod.

Apr 1, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #36 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj nellie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I realize they're in different leagues, but can you please compare your JH16s with the Westone 3 in terms of soundstage, bass impact, quality and extension? And do you have any other thoughts on how they compare with the W3, TF10 and SE530?

Also, if you listen to bass-heavy music (e.g. house or hip-hop), do you feel like the bass can be overwhelming or give you a headache if you listened for a few hours?

Thanks.

The best I can do is to give you a summary impression, in general. I no longer own the Westones, but they were my favorite universals primary because of the way they fit and their sound signatures. However, after I sold the W3s and started to use the TF10s as my primary IEM, I had started to warm up to it's balanced sound signature more and more, despite it's awkward fit. When I temporarily mounted the Whiplash Twag cable over it's stock UE cable, the improvement was nothing sort of amazing there. The Shures signature was somewhat similar to the Westones, although I heard more pleasing mids and was overal somewhat warmer, but lots of rolloff at the low and high ends.

Then yesterday happened, and my world had changed. Frankly, it was like stepping thru a Stargate in a sonic sense, if you catch my drift. As many in the forum had stated before, there is really no comparison between a custom and universal models, simply because of the way they fit as you insert them the first time. I have heard the Bella Sonus Enarmored album dozens of times over the past several months, but the experience when I turned on the ALO RX (and later the RSA Shadow) was simply overwhelming. More Everything without being obtrusive in any way, including the bass. Goosebumps when the spanish guitar riffs appeared along the female vocals. I still haven't had the willpower to even try to do an A/B test, so this is as far as I can go for now.

One of the smarter things I've done during the months of waiting for the preorder is to cleanup my iTunes library and rerip virtually all of my recordings to lossless format. I have purchased more New Age and Smooth Jazz music in addition to the wide variety of Rock, R&B and a few Hip-Hop albums I own. What I've learned today is that a gear like mine can also amplify the inadequacy and low-quality of the original recording, regardless of bitrate. So, yes, if you listen to a badly mastered album, you might very well experience bad sound, such as thumping bass and badly mixed tracks. But that is what these Ear Monitors were designed to do: to reproduce the good and bad. So now I'll be looking for exceptional quality masters regardless of genre, because now I will be able to hear the difference.

I hope this helps a bit. If you can afford to go custom, my advice would be to go all the way. You'll be happy you did, but it takes a certain leap of faith.

Apr 1, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #37 of 50
VERY NICE!!!
dt880smile.png
I love the color! Who's your favorite bond?

Apr 1, 2010 at 7:57 AM Post #38 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by warp08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe that is their correct spelling. LOD stands for Line Out Dock and the iMod follows the standard Apple product line spelling criteria, e.g., iPod.

he meant caps, as in capacitors
wink_face.gif

as in, do you have BG caps in the ipod itself, and also in the ALO lod?

Apr 1, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #39 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by obrienk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink_face.gif

Exactly.

Warp 8: from your previous post, it seems you have capacitors in both imod and LOD, which is weird, because than your signal is going thru two capacitors, which I think can even degrade sound.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Apr 1, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #40 of 50
just a small afterthough, are they allowed to put copyrighted symbols on the IEM ? i would thing that 007 with a gun barrel after the 7 was copyrighted by the production company that owns the rights to the bond franchise,

Apr 1, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #43 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think its under fair use, because i got cover art to a cd which certainly isnt public domain.

^^Yup^^

Apr 1, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #45 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by obrienk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink_face.gif

LOL, I was way off base, sorry!

Yes, the iMod and the ALO iMod LOD both includes BG caps. At least this is my understanding after several email exchanges to Vinnie at RWA and Ken at ALO.

Let me just say, I hooked up the 16s last night straight to a brand new 5.5 Gen iPod Video (which will go in today for iMod conversion) and the difference was quite noticeable. Not that it sounded bad direct, but there was no comparison between the stock iPod and the iMod->ALO iMod LOD->ALO RX combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back