My initial impressions of the V6s (or why I love my Etys)
Dec 31, 2002 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Bobby C

Head-Fier
Got my wife a pair of V6s for Christmas, along with a Sony D-25s & replacement pads (Beyer's). The pads didn't make it for Christmas, more on that in a minute. This setup is for her at work.

I had her open the V6s in the airport Christmas Eve, I wanted to throw out her trashy phones and listen to something good on our 5 hour flight. I use a D-303 for traveling and Ety ER-4Ps. I brought along a Y adaptor so we could both listen to the same music. I was able to A/B the Ety's & V6's several times during both the flight out & back (after some breakin). Music used: Coltrane - 'Ultimate Blue Train', Chris Potter - 'Traveling Mercies', Dave Holland - 'What Goes Around' & Dave Douglas - 'The Infinite'.

My initial impression is that the phones are comfortable, I like the way they fold up, somewhat portable. Make & fit was fine, the pleather pads seemed OK, I didn't use them for long. I started listening to them within an hour of initial use so I know they weren't broken in. With that in mind, I found the sound clear, but lacking depth. Detail was fine, but the different instruments didn't sound integrated. Hard to describe but I could pick each sound, but they didn't mesh into a whole. Soundstage was limited, but bass was impressive, especially for new phones. Isolation was adequate, perfect for my wife at work, but nowhere near my Ety's isolation. And speaking of Ety's, at no time was my love for them diminished - they are such a perfect phone for plane use. Everything the V6's lacked, the Ety's had, it really wasn't a fair fight.

During the next several days we broke the units in more, although we probably didn't have more than 20 hours on them by the time we got home. The replacement pads were in, they were easy to replace and more comfortable for sure. I did some sound comparison with my Senns. 580s, both using a META42 amp. The V6s faired better, certainly punchier bass, but not quite the detail. This is not a complaint, they needed more break in and for the price, I think they are great.

Best part of it, my wife then took the whole set up to work yesterday (including the D-25s) & here's what she just emailed me: 'I've been listening to Imaginary Day [Pat Metheny] on my new discman with my new headphones, to understate the case, I'm BLOWN AWAY!!! It sounds so clear, so crisp, it's absolutely transporting.'

So I get some major points, the whole world is happy (as I listen to Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section with my Etys). I can't honestly give them an in-depth review from here forward, they are out of my grasp. All told, for anyone wanting to spend less than $100, I'd certainly recommend them.

Dec 31, 2002 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 7
How much for your wife???
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 31, 2002 at 9:39 PM Post #3 of 7
If you hook up the V6 to a decent source and an amp, they can really shine. I can assure you that the soundstage will expand further & deeper, bass will be more controlled and mids won't be as recessed. I found that the D-25s can drive the V6 to loud enough level but there are still a lot to desire for. Let your wife use the V6 for a month or two and switch her over to a non-portable rig. See what her reactions are. I had the same experience with my pair and i was quite pleasantly surprised.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2003 at 6:20 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Bobby C
Best part of it, my wife then took the whole set up to work yesterday (including the D-25s) & here's what she just emailed me: 'I've been listening to Imaginary Day [Pat Metheny] on my new discman with my new headphones, to understate the case, I'm BLOWN AWAY!!! It sounds so clear, so crisp, it's absolutely transporting.'

Guess that's what the whole purchase was all about right there!!! I also bought my wife a pair for Christmas and she loves them. It doesn't matter how much better other cans are, as long as she's happy using them, you did good!!!

Jan 2, 2003 at 7:34 AM Post #6 of 7
Well done!

To someone not familiar with any good phone, the Sony (not putting them down, I use them) phones are wonderful and enlightening.

They are a true bargain.

Jan 2, 2003 at 8:45 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by fredpb
To someone not familiar with any good phone, the Sony (not putting them down, I use them) phones are wonderful and enlightening.

They are a true bargain.

I don't use my V6 much anymore because I have my other phones. But everytime when I plug them back into the amp, it always puts a smile on my face when i listen to it. Fredpb, I couldn't agree with you more here, they are a true bargain.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back