My impressions of Jays d-JAYS
Apr 29, 2007 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

MaZa

Headphoneus Supremus
All right, I've had these for some while now and I have used these extensively. Waited 'till "new-toy syndrome" wore off and such.

So...

THESE ARE AWESOME!!!
icon10.gif
Not enough? Ok, I guess more details is in order. I do understand the comparison to Grados, as these headphones really do have nice uppermid-lowerhighs excitement and punchy bass. These do not have sparkling and airy sound of Grados, but thats due to closed and small IEM nature I believe. Overall really good sound that suits a lot of different music.

Highs and mids are very clear, if bit rolled off (though it isnt noticeable unless underamped. more of that later). Cymbals clash nicely and purely and electric guitars are biting.

Bass is punchy and really nicely detailed and extends nicely. Starts rolling off around 50Hz I think, but 30Hz is still very audible. However, it does seem lack the pumping feeling. I guess its because of balanced armature desing. Nothing can really replicate the dynamic-design headphones bass pump feeling afterall. Once you stop thinking about it, you wont notice it.

Overall the sound faintly reminded me of Grados with flat pads without its ridiculous bass exaggeration. Cant confirm cuz I no longer have one. No frequency really overblows others. Besides slight excitement in uppermids/lowerhighs, the sound is balanced in my ears.

Now, about sensitivity. These are very sensitive headphones so volume wont be an issue. However, amplification is heavily recommended. Straight from my Creative MuVo TX the highs were HEAVILY rolled off, almost non-existent, and I used to use EQ to fix that. Added Cmoy between them, and highs became really well extended with excellent clarity. The difference really is a night and day. My other portable headphones (like KSC75 and PX100) didnt really improve with Cmoy much, (which also made me skeptical about the usefullness of that device at first) but Jays were shockingly different.

Im not really good reviewer though cuz I tend to take more subjective approach like "if it sounds good, its good". AND these headphones are good!

Apr 29, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sounds goo! i've been contemplating about whether or not to get these and it's good to hear more reviews about these! but right now i am satisfied with my e2c's which don't get a lot of love around here (which i heavily disagree).

Yup. The only thing that bothers me with these is the flatness of bass, which I tend to fix with some EQing. Might be fit issue too. Im n00b with IEMs, so it is still possible even though I have been "practising" with the different fits.

*edit* Oh, and forgot to mention too, only music this really doesnt fit is, again due to flatness of bass, are electronic music that really relies on grooving full and deep bass like Bigbeat a-la Prodigy or Hardstyle music and so on no matter how much you EQ. However, Trance/Hardtrance stuff with sharp punchy bass is almost just right after some EQing.

May 2, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #6 of 17
I see alot of the new ECH are using balanced aramature design over dynamic drivers, Why? I like my E2c's alot for on the go listening but am considering trying the d-jays.

May 2, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by krell1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see alot of the new ECH are using balanced aramature design over dynamic drivers, Why? I like my E2c's alot for on the go listening but am considering trying the d-jays.

IIRC its easier to make good quality small IEM in balanced armature design than in dynamic. Mostly cheap dynamic design IEMs have heavy limits in sound, like very rolled off highs or such.

May 2, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #8 of 17
Thanks Maza.... I agree with every one of your comments thus far
biggrin.gif
. IEM Grado sound, with a less of the bass boost.

I use mine with an OPA2227 based cmoy and IMHO it helps open up the highs a little.

They are VERY sensitive, so low-gain amp circuits work best IMHO.

May 2, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Maza.... I agree with every one of your comments thus far
biggrin.gif
. IEM Grado sound, with a less of the bass boost.

I use mine with an OPA2227 based cmoy and IMHO it helps open up the highs a little.

They are VERY sensitive, so low-gain amp circuits work best IMHO.

I have OPA2132 opamp in my Cmoy ATM and its great for my Jays. I also have that OPA2227 chip, but I THINK it sounded bit plasticky with my d-Jays. Gotta try it again.

May 2, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have OPA2132 opamp in my Cmoy ATM and its great for my Jays. I also have that OPA2227 chip, but I THINK it sounded bit plasticky with my d-Jays. Gotta try it again.

I agree with that comment too... The 2227 has a kind of distant and un-organic sound... sterile, It kind of sucks the "life" out of the music. BUT it does add a sense of air and treble to the sound (IMHO). Actually my fave OPamp is the OPA2107. Its like a 2132 on steriods. Its got the same warmth and groove, but adds detail, speed and bass texture.

I use the 2107 in my entech DAC too with good results.

you should note the 2107 is not recommended for use at +/-4.5V, supposedly it goes into oscillation with a single 9V battery. So my cmoy is set up with 2x 9V cells.

May 2, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #11 of 17
I am happy that you like them, I feel a little bit responsible....

If you want more bass try some homemade foamies, it helps the bass not much but then again they do not need much to shine..

The only amp. I have tried is the X1 which also helps the bass some..

Also burnin with pink noise overnight helped "losen" them a bit in the bass department.

May 2, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with that comment too... The 2227 has a kind of distant and un-organic sound... sterile, It kind of sucks the "life" out of the music. BUT it does add a sense of air and treble to the sound (IMHO). Actually my fave OPamp is the OPA2107. Its like a 2132 on steriods. Its got the same warmth and groove, but adds detail, speed and bass texture.

I use the 2107 in my entech DAC too with good results.

Where I can get OPA2107? How much it costs? Does it work in my Cmoy or does it vary somehow from 2132 and 2227?

May 2, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am happy that you like them, I feel a little bit responsible....

If you want more bass try some homemade foamies, it helps the bass not much but then again they do not need much to shine..

The only amp. I have tried is the X1 which also helps the bass some..

Also burnin with pink noise overnight helped "losen" them a bit in the bass department.

I have talked with Pete some time ago thru email, and he somewhat disagrees that the balanced armature IEMs burn-in, its more dynamic headphone thing.I think he is right too, my Jays sound just like they were when out of box IMO. (I've had them for a while) Most critical change was when I added amplifier in line.

May 2, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dealmaster00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry...kind of a noob when it comes to these amp things...

but when you are talking about changing opamps, is that like desoldering the old one and soldering the new one in?

My Cmoy has an socket for opamp chips. I just need to pry old one out and plug new one in. You can also solder the opamp and people tend to do that when making their first Cmoy amp, but that makes opamp switching quite difficult. Socket is more handy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back