My impression of Shiit Modi 2 / 3+ / Heresey (with the Fostex T50RP / T20RP)
Feb 6, 2021 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Filewalker

New Head-Fier
Hello,

after reading this forum for quite a while and trying different setups, I decied to post my experience with the Shiit amps and the popular Fostex T50RP and T20RP headphones. Just for your interest, the archive and for the search engines :)

After reading about the famous Fostex TXXRP headphones and their technology in a magazine, I needed to get one, and (of course) I first choose the T50RP. What a great headphone! I already owned some AKG and Beyerdynamic headphones, but the RP technology got me. Unfortunately theese require a lot of power. So I was looking for a good and inexpensive, but more powerfull headphone amp (who isn't ?).

After some research I came accross the Shiit Magni headphone amps and I ordered a Magni 2 (non Uber) at Shiit Europe from the Neatherlands. Well, yes, I'm not a native. I live in Germany. Shiit Europe delivered within a week and I had a significant improvement on sound quality. I used a Fiio e10k as my DAC to play FLAC files from my PC. Fortunately, I decided early on to copy my hole CD collection as FLAC files.

But as you know, sometime you want to improve your sound quality. So after doing some research again I bought a Topping D10s DAC for my PC, wich (again) improoved sound quality of my overall audio chain.

Yes, some time later I felt like a new Magni amp could improve my setup. The Heresey was tested best and after watching Shiit Euope website for some months (!) where none of the Magni was (and still is) available, I ordered one from Shiit US and paid the 43 USD for shipping to Germany. With Fedex it only took 7 days for delivery to Germany.

Now let's get to the point: I judge the heresey below the Magni 2. I'm not an expert, so I don't come with any exotic descriptions. I just didn't like it. The Magni 2 felt more alive and just better sounding. I tried the Heresey agianst the Magni 2 with my T50RP and T20RP a couple of times, and I just wasn't pleasant to my ears. Also, both amps set to low gain and volume 12'clock, the Magi 2 was quite a bit louder with the T50RP headphone.

So what did I do? I've ordered a Magni 3+ (non heresey) at Shiit US and paid the 43 USD delivery once again. So I tired the Magni 2, the Magni 3+ and the Magni 3 heresey with my setup. I came to the consequence, that while I really like the Magni 2, the heresey can not reach him by far. The specs may be better, but what I've heard is worse. I can't explain, It just doesn't sound as great, by far.

But most important, and probably the conclusion to my post: the feeling and the sound of the Magni 3+ was just as pleasend, as with the Magni 2. While I couldn't hear the difference in power (1W against 1,6W on 50 ohms) I immediately heard the good old sound of the Magni 2 and I just felt comfortable with the sound. If you ask me; A big difference.

So, finally I'm really satisfied with my current setup: Windows 10 PC / Foobar2000 / FLAC / Topping D10s / Shiit Magni 3+ / Fostex T50rp.

Well, while writing this it started snowing here and I have to clean the sidewalk now.

I wrote this to hear your opinion and so that others can find it on the search engines.
Please let me know what you think.

Later,
Torsten

Users who are viewing this thread

Back