My iMod/Tomahawk Portable Rig - Pics!
Feb 18, 2007 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17
I've completed my portable rig setup, and just had to post some pics (taken with my new Canon Digital Rebel XTi). I took a look at how others had set up their rigs, and took the best of the ideas I saw. I wanted to get the best possible sound in the most compact possible size. I chose:

iMod (with Vakadoo Domino case) + ALO mini-to-mini + Tomahawk + Shure e500

I attached the cased iMod to the Tomahawk with black velcro strips, keeping the velcro off the actual iMod and the logo side of the Tomahawk. I had a 2.5" (cable length only) mini-to-mini made, with one end right-angled. I wanted to avoid the large cable loop I see on so many portable rigs, where the cable increases the total length of the combo by quite a bit.

I have to say, I'm thrilled with this combo. The sound is just incredible. I was already a big fan of the e500s straight out of my 5G iPod. The Tomahawk was a huge improvement. The e500s completely lose their iPod impedance-induced hiss once the Tomahawk is added, as well as gain a much cleaner sound. Instruments can be heard individually, a huge amount of muddiness is removed. To the point where at first it sounds like you've lost a ton of your sound, but after a few times back and forth, you realize that extra "sound" was just muddy noise. You're left with a joyous black background. There are other improvements, but I don't have the words to explain exactly how. It just sounds better.

Switching from the 5G (with ALO cryo-dock) to the iMod was another huge leap forward. It's a change that didn't strike me when I first switched, but with every listen I realized more and more what a terrific change it was. With the iMod, voices and instruments come out of NOWHERE. It's just amazing. Singers are right there with you. Soundstage (with the e500 stock tips) is ridiculous (good ridiculous) for IEMs. The iMod takes full advantage of the Tomahawk's low noise floor, as it completely removes the veil from the music. When combined, the sound isolation from the e500s, the pitch black background of the Tomahawk, and the striking clarity of the iMod offer up what I have to assume is the finest sounding portable rig money can currently buy (for roughly $1200). After switching to the iMod, I find I am able to listen to the music at (perceived) louder levels without fatigue. The sound is just so pleasing and right. This is all at 256 AAC VBR.

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

Feb 18, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #3 of 17
The Tomahawk... is so small, lol.

Feb 18, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 17
Mine looked just like that except i have the JUMBO CRYO. The Thomahawk looked to small so I tried the Hornet. Still to small, so I put it back on the LAROCCO PR2 and now it looks just fine again. But all 3 AMPs sound great.But I do prefer the PR2 the most.

Feb 18, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #6 of 17
Damn that's a sweet rig!

Feb 19, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #8 of 17
i might have a similar setup (cept for the Toma and E500)

my portable setup is only 50% complete right now, still missing the iMod and Hornet.

anyway, great pics. how much was that ALO custom cable?

Feb 19, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #9 of 17
Sweet Rig. Similar to mine except I have the Portaphile V2^2maxxed amp. Looking forward to trying the Tomahawk at the NYC Meet in two weeks to compare.
Enjoy.
etysmile.gif

Feb 19, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #11 of 17
is there a gap down the middle of that neutrik right angle ? it looks like it has a split in the pics...

Feb 20, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bellsprout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm thinking of getting an imod, but i dunno whether it's wroth it. is the sound quality that much better than a rio karma?

i can't say if the imod's better than a rio karma, but i know that the imod is much better than the regular ipod. you'll definitely be amazed at how good it sounds!

Feb 21, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by choariwap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is there a gap down the middle of that neutrik right angle ? it looks like it has a split in the pics...

Yes there is - speaking from experience, those right angle Neutriks are a pain in the a**, mainly the putting together part. They come split like that so that you can solder to the plug, and then you put the two split pieces together around the plug and screw on the end part that the cable comes out of - it sounds simple enough, but it is actually quite a pain. I would recommend a bead of superglue in that split to keep out dust and lint that will eventually cause problems with that nice interconnect.

Mar 6, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #14 of 17
Does the rig pictured sound better then a new (((8gig nano with line-out ran to tomahawk.))) If it does then where can I get a 4th gen i-pod? I believe thats the only ipod that can get this mod. I've been trying to find out if the quality of the line-out audio on the new nano is as good as the old ones. I'm only concerned with the line-out not the headphone. I'll be running to a tomahawk using es2's. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back