My IEM Manual says: Do Not Use IEM over 1 hour per day. Is this true?
Apr 25, 2007 at 7:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

electro house

New Head-Fier
I just noticed my Superfi.5 pro IEM manual actually warns: "To protect your hearing, do not use this product more than 1 hour per day."

Is this for real, or are they just covering their rear?

Does anyone here actually follow this 1 hour per day rule of thumb? If you say yes I don't know if I believe you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyone able to offer guidance in the subject?

(Yes I realize that listening at high volumes over time is really bad, and the higher volume multiplied by longer time makes it worse and worse...)

But -- 1 hour per day. Period. ??? Are we all destroying our hearing daily when we go over 1 hour?

And really, how many people would buy IEMs, especially expensive ones, if it was strictly true you shouldn't use them over 1 hour per day?

Apr 25, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 65
hmmm, i listen to my headphones about 9 hours a day.
the volume isn't loud.

at work, i use a pair of sony nx-1s (think ex-51)
and everywhere else it's my um2s

Apr 25, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #4 of 65
I imagine it is to cover themselves. As long as you listen at reasonable levels I don't see the harm unless you aren't keeping things clean. I often fall asleep with either IEMs or canalphones in and typically have them in for 2+ hours at a time.

Apr 25, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #5 of 65
I think the 1 hour refers to listening to music above 92db. Listening to anything at greater than 92db for more than an hour can cause hearing damage. I am pretty sure they don't expect people to limit their listening to an hour a day. If it says that I'm sure they are just covering their butts.

Apr 25, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #7 of 65
Well I use my IEM every day for apr. 8 Hours...
But that is primarily to protect my hearing from the noisy macinery i use at work....

I can not see how that schould be more damaging than listen to the noise, listening to music that is..

Apr 25, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #8 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by sorrick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the 1 hour refers to listening to music above 92db. Listening to anything at greater than 92db for more than an hour can cause hearing damage. I am pretty sure they don't expect people to limit their listening to an hour a day. If it says that I'm sure they are just covering their butts.

Could you please provide the study that states this,thanks

Apr 25, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #11 of 65
Verbatim from my Superfi.5 manual, page 5:

"Using earphones at high volumes (greater than 85 dB(A)) OR FOR EXTENDED PERIODS (MORE THAN 1 HOUR PER DAY) can permanently damage your ears." (emphasis added).

It doesn't say "Dont listen to 85dBa+ for more than 1 hour."

It says listening for more than 1 hour per day can damage your ears.

Apr 25, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #13 of 65
yeah, I think this is more aimed at the people who blast ipod stock earbuds at 100% volume with loudness EQ. Im a bit guilty of too loud listening but not to that degree and usually only for very short amounts of time then its back down to a lower level.
icon10.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #14 of 65
Yeah I think these guys are right. As long as you don't listen @ loud volumes with your IEM's for a prolonged period then it should be fine. In fact, it is really better to listen to music from low to low-moderate levels of volume than to listen to high-moderate to loud levels with earphones, headphones, or speakers.

I don't know if this helps as reference but I usually listen to volume level 1 (out of 30) with my Rio Forge, and this remains true even when I am walking down the street with traffic. I think the first 3 levels/clicks of volume from my brother's iPod Nano are sufficient for me unless I am in a really loud environment.

In contrast, my brother always listen at 50% - 60% with the stock Apple iPod earphones. I keep on telling him that it is too loud as I can hear them standing 2-3 feet from him.

Apr 25, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #15 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by platinum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it is very true that my hearing ability started to decline after listening to IEMs.
even at very low volume with er4p (very good isolation)

Whoa, really?
blink.gif
I've had the complete opposite experience (at least so far, for two years). Please elaborate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back