My Hugo 2 is lonely
Feb 23, 2018 at 10:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

sashua

Head-Fier
So I bought the Hugo 2 finally and I am a proud papa....
Now it's time to find a DAP so she's not so lonely.

I have searched tons of threads and seen lots of decent choices but it's SO hard to compare and contrast.

I am just looking for a large slick GUI (prefer under $1000) that will allow me to use Tidal, Spotify and maybe even UpNp so I can listen to the vast FLAC collection on my NAS.

I'd like to be able to use the best possible connection to the Hugo 2 (optical or coax?) and take the best advantage of it's abilities.

I've looked at the Onkyo and Pioneer models as well as the Fiio and Opus models....then there's A+K

It's all very confusing. Is there one DAP that really stands out as a clear choice for the Hugo 2?

Would love to hear your suggestions!!!

Feb 26, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #5 of 8
I suggest you use android smartphone as a source and if you want to use upnp for network HDD playback, you have variety of app like neutron, UAPP, and hiby.

Smartphone can have sim card so you can tidal and spotify wherever you are.

Also, smartphone has micro sd card slot so addition 256gb or even latest 400gb can be inserted.

UI is much smoother than any DAPs and as long as you use Hugo2, it sounds awesome no matter what.

But well.... if you do really insist on getting DAP and hate to use smartphone, I suggest onkyo dp-x1a as it has 2 micro sd slot and smoothest UI among DAPs as a source. as it is android, many functions can be used just it cannot use sim card for streaming, but you can open hotspot from your phone to DAP as well. :)

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #6 of 8
Like the others said. Get a smartphone and put a 400gigabyte microSD card inside. And buy an On-The-Go usb cable. (or is OTG cables not needed with USB-C phones? )

Mar 10, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #7 of 8
Like the others said. Get a smartphone and put a 400gigabyte microSD card inside. And buy an On-The-Go usb cable. (or is OTG cables not needed with USB-C phones? )
Can I play FLAC files in both 16 bit and 24 bit resolution from a smartphone (such as a Samsung S8+ or S9)?
Can someone give me a link to a decent quality cable for USB-C to USB (I assume that is what I need, right?)

Mar 10, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #8 of 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back