My how quickly things change... Triports broken, UE-10 Pros Broken
Mar 8, 2006 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

PeeeMeS

1000+ Head-Fier
I had a recent change in my financial situation and suddently I had to sell off quite a few cans. I still kept a pretty decent selection and my K1000s.

Then *BAM* out of the blue, 2 headphones that I didn't sell start to break
mad.gif
My Triport's headbands broke
mad.gif
Something went horribly wrong with my UE-10's, they are "off" Seems like one of the drivers in the left ear is broken. I can't say for sure, but I know it's not the cord since I tried out a replacement cord. Lets just say iBuds > My UE-10s currently.

For the Triports: I'll just have to make my own headband if I want to continue to use it, which I prob won't since I barely use it at all. I might just sell these for a cheap price. Heck if I mod a nice headband on em, I'll be able to sell for a profit! Something I would desparately need if...

The UE-10s are an intesting sitation. I cannot just have this one as a "total loss" as I still need high-end IEMs when the situation requires an ultraportable setup. I don't enjoy wearing full sized headphones outside of university campus. For a $900 item when money has suddenly become tight, it's a difficult situation. There's no way I can afford to pay for the UE-10s if the repair costs are $400+.
I fired off an email Monday afternoon, got a message from a customer service rep who told me he fowarded the message to service manager: Mike Flynn
No answer yet, but from prior experiences UE has a good policy returning emails in a timely matter.

Anyone have any experiences with UE-10 repairs out of warrenty? I bought these things around 2 years ago. I had originally requested the Acrylic option but recieved the Full-Soft option instead. I didn't really mind it much until it started falling apart. Ultimate Ears gladly took it back and sent me a new one; which I would have fit problems with. They took it back again and sent me another new one. Due to some change in command at Ultimate Ears, they were unable to send me my phones before I headed to China(Which is too bad since I was promised originally it would be no problem)
(I would buy the Little Dot Micro + Little Dot II during my trip in China).

Then... Katrina hit New Orleans
My family members in New Orleans salvaged the UE-10s without any damage to them. Thank goodness!

I had just returned to New Orleans around December 2005. My "new" pair only lasted me 3-4 months. Looking back, my UE-10s had a lot of problems since the start. Credit must be given to UE, however, since they worked with me through every problem. It's heartbreaking my original $900 investment only lasted me a little over a year(Since I was in China for vacation and Katrina hit)

IEMs certainly have their limitations. I'm hoping UE custom owners arn't stuck after the 1 year warrenty runs out.

Mar 8, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #2 of 11
that's unfortunate to hear, this is why I have set the limit of not spending more than USD200 on IEMs. Things nowadays are pretty interesting, they usually shortly after the warranty period....

Mar 8, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #3 of 11
I'm sure UE's customer service will be excellent... but the Triport's headband breaking... it's not like you didn't see that coming right?

Mar 8, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #5 of 11
If Ultimate Ears ends up charging you money for the repair, then just sell it off here on Head-fi. First get it repaired and have the new owner get their molds sent to Ultimate Ears. This way you can cut your loses.

Mar 8, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
that's unfortunate to hear, this is why I have set the limit of not spending more than USD200 on IEMs. Things nowadays are pretty interesting, they usually shortly after the warranty period....

I do agree on that it seems a bunch of things are broken right after or shortly after the warranty ends.

Mar 8, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electro Point
I do agree on that it seems a bunch of things are broken right after or shortly after the warranty ends.

Are there any extended warranties for items like the Ultimate Ears UE-10?

Mar 8, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electro Point

i just reliased i missed the keyword in that sentece for some reasons!
eek.gif
redface.gif

keyword: break

Mar 8, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Yikes. Sorry to hear that. I'm very hesitant to buy expensive IEMs for this reason - too many stories of breakage with all the major IEM manufacturers.

Yeah but there are also a lot of people who have no problems at all. Its not like if everything works out perfect you will make a stink about it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back