My Home-Made Audio Shelves
Aug 18, 2005 at 3:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Aman

Headphoneus Supremus
So, after weeks and weeks of hard work and perserverence, I have finally completed a huge task of mine for the summer. I have built shelving to house my music collection and my stereo equipment.

Here are some pictures of the setup and its results. Notice that the shelves aren't that full. I have only filled in two crates of my music thus far because I am exhausted from work.

I feel proud of myself
biggrin.gif

EDIT:

Highlights of the Shelves...

-The records. Two crates are shown in the picture. Since, I have added another one to the shelves. It equates to about 600 records so far. I have seven more crates to go. Oy vay.

-My school photos. A picture from every year (almost) of me in grade school.

-My stereo equipment. It consists of a Goldring turntable, Di-Marzio interconnects, a sexy, vintage Pioneer SX-450 amp, a Music Hall phono stage, and my Record Doctor III cleaning machine. I have Ohm Model E speakers on the ground, which are about to go onto stands and also be completely restored.

-My Talking Heads "Speaking in Tongues" LP (the blue vinyl inside the yellow-ish container). It is unopened and quite rare. I don't know its value, but some record collectors have told me it's priceless.

-My Shaolin Kempo certificate of reaching Mastery ranking (1st Degree Black)

Aug 18, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
Aman,

Good looking shelves....you should be proud of yourself. However, and maybe it's just my eyes, it looks like the shelves with the records are kinda bowing.

No, I have noticed it too.

However, I also notice how strong and sturdy the material I used is, so I have full confidence that they will hold up.

Aug 18, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
However, I also notice how strong and sturdy the material I used is, so I have full confidence that they will hold up.

Well, if they don't bow any further, then you're set.

Great job!

Aug 18, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #6 of 9
Great work! I'm sure it feels good to get a project like that finished.

You used 3/4 inch melamine-covered particle board, right? It should be fine for the vinyl. (If you had 78s it might be more of a problem, since they're heavier.) If you start having problems with sag, you can always switch the sagging shelves to melamine-covered MDF (more rigid) or melamine-covered plywood (even more rigid).

Aug 18, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #7 of 9
Looks awesome, I too am looking for someplace to store my records while at school. How much did all the materials cost? My room is so small though I dont know where I'd put a shelf if I were to build one. Also, maybe you want to drill some holes so your wires dont have to hang in the front of the shelves.

Aug 18, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #8 of 9
It'll look better when you have the shelves filled with vinyl. Post another photo then.

Aug 19, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by bln
It'll look better when you have the shelves filled with vinyl. Post another photo then.

I'll have time in a few days. I'm actually QUITE busy right now. I have gone through another crate, so it's looking better now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back