My Hifi HE500 might need a different ipod dac & amp
Feb 12, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #16 of 21

See if you can still cancel that order, I made the recommendation for the Asgard under the condition that you confirm the iDo has fixed level line output first. Now that you'll have to buy a DAC anyway, you might as well get the Jotunheim considering the added costs.

(Asgard $250+shipping) + (Bifrost $400+shipping) = $650+2xshipping (if you have to order the Bifrost separately)

Jotunheim w/ USB DAC module $500 +shipping = $500+1xshipping

(Asgard $250+shipping) + (Modi2 $100+shipping) = $350+2xshipping (if you have to order the Modi2 separately)

I grabbed the Modi2 to go with it for now. Just spent a bunch of audio equipment, so I didn't want to go too wild until I knew for sure they were underpowered. My current setup works fine for my other headphones. 

Feb 12, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #17 of 21
  I grabbed the Modi2 to go with it for now. Just spent a bunch of audio equipment, so I didn't want to go too wild until I knew for sure they were underpowered. My current setup works fine for my other headphones. 

They're at least on the same order, right? Because the larger box might take both boxes of the Asgard and the Modi, saving you a little bit on shipping.

Feb 12, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #20 of 21
Just for my own knowledge, what makes the variable out for l/r so bad when paired with an amp? Does it lose quality?

You'll end up with two potentiometers on the same signal chain. You'll then have to configure them for minimal noise and distortion but if a precedingactive circuit with a potentiometer is adding any noise or distortion then you might end up having to set that to a level that is even lower than the CD standard 2volts.

In some cases though it can't be avoided, like using powered speakers with a preamp output from a headphone amp, because then it puts the volume control closerto your hand. In other cases the secondary knob is just a gain knob, like on studio monitors and when you need to set the gain structure between the receiver/processor's volume knob and the gain knobs on the amps in a car audio set-up.

Basically, even if you could tweak it, it's overall a PITA to deal with, and in the situations where they can't be avoided, at least there are benefits. Like volume control within easy reach for nearfield speakers or being able to use separate amps for the tweeters, midwoofers, and sub in a car with a processor.

Feb 12, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #21 of 21
You'll end up with two potentiometers on the same signal chain. You'll then have to configure them for minimal noise and distortion but if a precedingactive circuit with a potentiometer is adding any noise or distortion then you might end up having to set that to a level that is even lower than the CD standard 2volts.

In some cases though it can't be avoided, like using powered speakers with a preamp output from a headphone amp, because then it puts the volume control closerto your hand. In other cases the secondary knob is just a gain knob, like on studio monitors and when you need to set the gain structure between the receiver/processor's volume knob and the gain knobs on the amps in a car audio set-up.

Basically, even if you could tweak it, it's overall a PITA to deal with, and in the situations where they can't be avoided, at least there are benefits. Like volume control within easy reach for nearfield speakers or being able to use separate amps for the tweeters, midwoofers, and sub in a car with a processor.

Ahhh that makes sense. Thanks so much for the explanation! Excited to hear these phones properly powered tuesday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back