My Hifi HE500 might need a different ipod dac & amp
Feb 10, 2017 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

sonicx2218

Head-Fier
So my favorite amp for my ipod is the Nuforce Icon Ido currently. I just got my hands on a pair of He500's and love them, but the max volume on the IDO is just loud enough for the 500's regular listening. I'm worried that this is a sign that they aren't being powered properly and I need a stronger amp to really experience the quality. Is that likely the case, and if so, what certified ipod amps/DAC combo would be better than the IDO for supplying power to the HE-500? For the price, I assumed the IDO could handle it. I'm not looking to spend more than $300. Honestly, I've just never had to turn up the IDO volume past halfway on other phones, and this one needs it all the way.

Thanks.

Feb 11, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #2 of 21
Do not underestimate the power the HE500s need,they are quite power hungry. I have good success driving them from my vintage amps headphone out,but they sound slightly better driven direct from speaker taps...yes,speaker taps.

My Schiit Magni Uber 2 doesnt have the umph to do them justice.I would look into a Schiit Jotunheim,unless you need the portability. 

Feb 11, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #3 of 21
  So my favorite amp for my ipod is the Nuforce Icon Ido currently. I just got my hands on a pair of He500's and love them, but the max volume on the IDO is just loud enough for the 500's regular listening. I'm worried that this is a sign that they aren't being powered properly and I need a stronger amp to really experience the quality. Is that likely the case, and if so, what certified ipod amps/DAC combo would be better than the IDO for supplying power to the HE-500? For the price, I assumed the IDO could handle it. I'm not looking to spend more than $300. Honestly, I've just never had to turn up the IDO volume past halfway on other phones, and this one needs it all the way.

You're not going to get a markedly better iPod compatible DAC-HPamp for that kind of money considering how much the MFi certification is. Doesn't the iDo have analogue line outputs in the rear? Buy a plain amplifier and hook it up through there. Something like the Schiit Asgard2, or better yet, save a bit more for the Lyr2.

Feb 11, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #4 of 21

You're not going to get a markedly better iPod compatible DAC-HPamp for that kind of money considering how much the MFi certification is. Doesn't the iDo have analogue line outputs in the rear? Buy a plain amplifier and hook it up through there. Something like the Schiit Asgard2, or better yet, save a bit more for the Lyr2.

So 2 recommendations for Schiit; that seems promising. Bear with me, as amps aren't my strong-suit: The output from the Ido would go to the Asgard, but after that, which would control the volume/how would volume control work? Would I turn the ido to max volume and control with the asgard, or is the ido outputting a fixed signal? Also, the audio quality wouldn't be degraded in this 2 step setup, right?

Thanks!!!

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #5 of 21
  So 2 recommendations for Schiit; that seems promising. Bear with me, as amps aren't my strong-suit: The output from the Ido would go to the Asgard, but after that, which would control the volume/how would volume control work? Would I turn the ido to max volume and control with the asgard, or is the ido outputting a fixed signal? Also, the audio quality wouldn't be degraded in this 2 step setup, right?

As far as I know the analogue outputs on the back output a fixed level line out, like practically any DAC out there, as opposed to a preamp signal where the volume control on the unit with the output is still going to be used. Consult the iDo manual to confirm what it actually is, but if it is the first (which is what I kind of remember from when it was pitched to us at a hi-fi show, ie, I supposedly shouldn't hook it up direct to a power amp), then the Asgard is the only volume control in the chain.

It doesn't say "preamp" on this photo

...but the reason why I phrased my other post as a question and why I am saying consult the manual now is because the UDAC doesn't make such a distinction, but I know for sure that the volume control works with it

The Icon HDP (Headphone amp, DAC, Preamp) also has its RCA outputs work both ways - variable output (preamp) and fixed level line out direct from the DAC. So while on a smaller, simpler device NuForce would favor giving it a preamp output, that isn't the case with the HDP, and likely it might also be a dual mode output on the iDo.

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #6 of 21
I loved my old he-500, they really do need much more power then you might think. At this point you've only enjoyed them to a fraction of their potential. If you consider a poorly amped he-500 about twice as good as a 300$ pair of beats (and i consider one headphone being TWICE as good as another is a very significant difference) then properly amped those headphones will again double in sound quality.

Id also add that this kind of rig is at a magic price point, after this every time you double your money spent you might get 10% improvement. I would highly recommend you stretch your budget just a bit and get a schiit Jorty or pretty much any audio-gd product. this will get you to about the highest level of hifi you can get without dropping a 1000$ somewhere along the way.

Feb 11, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #7 of 21
After realizing how much more I'll get out of it, I'm all game to add the higher end schiit into the mix. Unfortunately, the output is variable https://www.manualslib.com/manual/828675/Nuforce-Icon-Ido.html?page=6#manual
Will this have an effect on sound quality?

Feb 11, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #9 of 21
your other headphones wont benefit nearly as much as the 500's. Orthos, particularly older style ones like LCD's and he-500/6/5le, really need 'slew rate' which how fast it can change current delivered. 'current domain' type amps do this very well which is why i highly recommend audio-gd and the Joty. This style of amp doesn't increase voltage as in amplifies the signal, rather it only applies current and the voltage gain is determined passively at the output. This strategy allows all the 'power' to be available immediately at the output rather then having to be 'pulled through' the gain stages.

I don't really understand all that or if its a technically correct explanation. But from my own experience and from most of what i've read I believe the he-500 and headphones like it really benefit from this particular flavor of amplifier. you definitely need a bit more power, but the extra power is only part of the equation

Feb 11, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

After realizing how much more I'll get out of it, I'm all game to add the higher end schiit into the mix. Unfortunately, the output is variable https://www.manualslib.com/manual/828675/Nuforce-Icon-Ido.html?page=6#manual
Will this have an effect on sound quality?

If that's the case there's no other choice, you'll just have to give up iPod compatibility and spend more so you can get a DAC and headphone amp to drive the HE500.

Quote:

Also, I have some grados and senns I love, but those are easy to drive. Would those somehow benefit too, or were they already powered adequately with the ido?

The Grados are fine with the iDo but chances are if you get an amp with a heck of a lot of power and not a low enough low gain mode you might even have trouble with the Grados. That said, the Schiits were tested with Grados, so the higher sensitivity shouldn't be a problem. I can't say that with enough certainty but of course I haven't come across anyone encountering channel imbalance on the Schiit amps with Grados (heck, most of them work with IEMs).

There's also Meier since they use digital potentiometers with even lower chances of channel imbalance, but if you want to make sure you can pour a lot of power into the HE500, you need to get the Classic, and it's around $600. Even with shipping from Europe included in the price it will still be farther out of your budget than the Schiits.

Feb 11, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #11 of 21
The schiits will be here tuesday! Very excited to hear the difference. If I could ask one last question, what is the difference between the expensive and inexpensive models of their amps that affects the sound quality?

Feb 11, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

The schiits will be here tuesday! 

Which ones did you get exactly?

Quote:

Very excited to hear the difference. If I could ask one last question, what is the difference between the expensive and inexpensive models of their amps that affects the sound quality?

Topology and power output vs distortion levels. The more you pay, generally, you get more power with less distortion. The Asgard has a touch less power than the Magni Uber but it's running pure Class A, so less crossover distortion. More heat though. The Valhalla's the exception as it's a totally different topology - being an OTL design it delivers more power at 300ohms than at 32ohms (and has the highest output impedance of all the Schiit amps).

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #14 of 21
The asgard for this time, but I think I'll upgrade if I like them.

Hmmm,well I suggested Jotunheim....I own the HE-500,so im not repeating what Ive read...these headphones need power!

I hope youre happy with the combo,in the meantime you might want to read this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/623645/anyone-have-experience-with-the-schiit-asgard-and-the-he-500

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #15 of 21
The asgard for this time, but I think I'll upgrade if I like them.

See if you can still cancel that order, I made the recommendation for the Asgard under the condition that you confirm the iDo has fixed level line output first. Now that you'll have to buy a DAC anyway, you might as well get the Jotunheim considering the added costs.

(Asgard $250+shipping) + (Bifrost $400+shipping) = $650+2xshipping (if you have to order the Bifrost separately)

Jotunheim w/ USB DAC module $500 +shipping = $500+1xshipping

(Asgard $250+shipping) + (Modi2 $100+shipping) = $350+2xshipping (if you have to order the Modi2 separately)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back