My hi-fi dilemma - active vs passive.
Aug 18, 2015 at 2:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

BassLoverDK

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone.

Recently I have started thinking of getting a new hifi setup. I have read a lot of guides and stuff, but there seems to be so much to read that I have come here to ask for help to narrow it down. First of all you will have to know me and my preferences. I am from Denmark, (for shipping and availabilty) I listen to many genres but mostly EDM. Some other genres would be pop and some funky house (for which kind of speaker). But the thing is, I don't know if I should get active or passive speakers. My budget is MAX and preferably a bit less than 600 dollars and 540 euros. Btw. I only want to buy products within Europe. The thing is, I don't know if I should go the easy way and get some active speakers and a subwoofer or build an upgradeable passive setup with (for now) speakers and an amp.

I am looking forward to your response.

Anders:D

Aug 18, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 19
1) If your sound source is PC/laptop soundcard, DAP, smartphone etc. with only analog outputs then only the compact sizes: active (PC) 2.1/5.1 speakers (1 subwoofer) or active stereo studio monitors (don't have sufwoofers) is more compatible. Small sizes mean smaller sound power.

2) If you want the homefilling big soundpower then hometheater surround setup or big-ass sizes speakers and also using the optical (Dolby/DTS) audio, than the common setup: 2.1/5.1/7.1 surround passive speakers with 1 active subwoofer and a surround receiver amp. or just stereo passive speaker with a stereo amp. for analog stereo input only.

1) aren't considered as hifi, where-else 2) can have hifi to high-end unlimited with high prices.

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #3 of 19
The thing is, I don't know if I should go the easy way and get some active speakers and a subwoofer or build an upgradeable passive setup with (for now) speakers and an amp.

And that is the big question you need to ask yourself and answer for yourself to a certain extent. An audio/video receiver, with all of its features, gives you a lot of flexibility for the future. For instance, building out a surround sound system. Adding in extra components. If you decide you want to upgrade your speakers, you won't be repaying for the amplification, too, with an upgrade. You can also start with lesser expensive bookshelf speakers and them move them to surround duty when you want to upgrade speakers.

Then if you ever move to a surround sound setup, most people cannot easily accommodate a vertical speaker under their TV or monitor. Active speakers rarely come in horizontal speaker configurations, but passive model series do (you should always stick to the same brand/model series for a center channel--see my explanation here under item #2).

AVRs have active bass management, which means they can accommodate a wide range of subwoofers and integrate them easily into a speaker setup. A good AVR will also have room correction EQ, which really helps a lot with many setups.

Aug 19, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #6 of 19
Bookself speakers won't give you room filling sound and shaking bass.
For stereo output with enough bass and wide spreading sound, you will need bigger and larger speakers.
Tower speakers should do the job:
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Loft-Three-Way-Floorstanding-Loudspeaker/dp/B00DKPJUDU

Separate hifi subwoofers are all active and meant to be connected to the sub output from a surround AVR, stereo amps don't have a sub output.

Aug 19, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #8 of 19
I have oldtimers setup, I can get very good earth shaking sub bass will rattle the whole house.
With Call of duty games, its like real life war is happening!

Marantz SR5500 7.1 surround AVR

Infinity Overture 1 as front stereo L/R have separate active bass amp.

JBL SCS260.5 Speaker System

---
Probably a cheap Marantz or cheaper Yamaha RX-V series will do and surround speakers will exceed your budget.

You can spare money and hassle, go for complete all-in-one: home theater systems, it has optical input and analog rca input to connect any sound sources.
They can sound good and as powerfull then separate more expensiver components.
Examples:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HT-E355K-Channel-Karaoke-Theater/dp/B00X5YJ2IE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_504_2/175-1151811-2946969?ie=UTF8&refRID=0Y1VCV6JA2R4NVPFSVVD
31Fc0vI15qL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-SC-BTT195-5-1-Channel-1000-Watt-Speakers/dp/B0078GCLU6/ref=sr_1_6/177-4248243-5279937?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1439977351&sr=1-6&keywords=home+theater

Aug 19, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #10 of 19
if your after active 5.1 + (surround) trust me active isn't the easy option, passive is. Your in Denmark that's where the best drivers are made, (yes I built my own amps, crossovers, speakers, which some may elude to. Passive for surround, active for 2.0 2.1.

Aug 19, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #12 of 19
Honestly passive speakers can be very good, your in Denmark so your in the home of - peerless vifa scan-speak etc do you get cheaper speakers? (I live in Australia) :). Depending on budget active is better crossover and sound. For example do you know that having say 50 watts for midwoofer and 25 for tweeter is more like having 150watt, no phase distortion etc? depending on what you want just look into active monitors if near field or say 6ft away. Good luck :)

Aug 19, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #14 of 19
I don't really know if our speakers are cheap here but i know a lot of people in Denmark care about having a good speaker setup. If you find a pair of speakers i can check what they cost here in Denmark:D

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #15 of 19
I have oldtimers setup, I can get very good earth shaking sub bass will rattle the whole house.
With Call of duty games, its like real life war is happening!

Marantz SR5500 7.1 surround AVR

Nice!

I helped someone last week find a used SR5002 for $70 to go with $100 pair of speakers. I told him he's now set on amplification for upgrading to very expensive speakers in the future, but I don't think he realizes what he's got in a Marantz 5000 series receiver :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back